front bumper cover removal - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
front bumper cover removal

grrr. just got back from the dealer.. Fog lights do not work and original owner told me they have not since new so I figured warranty.. They said that the plug for the fogs behind the front bumper cover was unplugged and that it would cost me over 2 hours labor to remove the front bumper cover to plug it back in. They said it could not have been left unpluged from the factory.(like that never happens..).. but it was and the prev owner never used the fogs so he did not have them even looked at by his dealer. Wonderful. How do I remove the front bumper cover? big job? Does anyone know where this 'plug' for the fogs they are talking about is? I assume the control module for the fogs is nestled behind the bumper cover. help!! Thanks
2007 Redfire Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Black cloth top, 5 speed, heated seats, IUP, PTP, Dark charcoal with chamois seats, 18" polished wheels, side air bags, Shaker 500, Wheel Locking Kit, Active Anti-Theft System, spoiler delete, SLP Loudmouths.. born 10/18/2006
topbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: front bumper cover removal

You should be able to access the lights without removing the bumper cover...at least that would make sense. I haven't looked at that part on a S197...are they saying the harness is not plugged in somewhere or just the lights?

My question is....how did they know what was unplugged if they have to remove the bumper to gain access to it? Sounds like alot of guess work and pushing the blame elsewhere to me.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana

you can see the plug on the back of the light but you cant get a finger in there. 2 bolts under each fender and a few clips on top and itll come right off
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

they would not tell me what exactly was unplugged. I figure if the bulbs themselves were unplugged the bumper cover does not have to come off, Thats why I think that maybe there is a control module, relays or something that the fog harness plugs into behind the bumper?? No?? Can someone with a shop manual tel me for sure IF there is something behind the bumper or not? If it was only the bulbs everyone know(including the dealer) that they bumper does NOT have to come off. hmmmmmm
2007 Redfire Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Black cloth top, 5 speed, heated seats, IUP, PTP, Dark charcoal with chamois seats, 18" polished wheels, side air bags, Shaker 500, Wheel Locking Kit, Active Anti-Theft System, spoiler delete, SLP Loudmouths.. born 10/18/2006
Old 06-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I say just take the bumper off and see if you see anything unhooked. If you do, hook it back up. It only takes about 10 minutes to take the bumper off and 10 more to put it back on.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

thanks.. Thats what I will do..
Old 06-06-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to 05RedDevil

To remove front fascia.
1. Apply the parking brake and lift car on stands and remove wheels. (Removing the wheels is not needed but it does make it easier in my opinion)
2. There are four fasteners securing the bottom of the fascia. Remove using a 7/32 (5.5mm) socket.
3. There are eight screws inside the wheel well that must be removed. These fasten the front fascia to the inner fenderwell splash shield. Use a #2 Phillips head. The Philips head can be used for both the two screws and for the four push-pin grommits (but a small flat head may be helpful here)
4. After removing the splash guard, the three front fascia retaining washers/nuts should be visible and removed. Use a 10mm deep socket.
5. There is one nut on each side of the vehicle securing the top part of the fascia. Remove using a 10mm socket.
6. After moving the fascia slightly away, disconnect the lighting connections. I found three for each side including the running lights, turn signals lights and fog lights.

I can give you step-by-step pictures if you want as well
Old 06-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

FYI, you shouldn't have to remove the splash guard unless the 05+'s made it so you can't reach the nuts holding the bumper on. Just reach up inside there from underneath.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to 05RedDevil

Removing the splash guards helps with getting to the headlights. Not needed but opens up the area and only takes 2 minutes
Old 06-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

thanks guys!! you have been a great help.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

oh jeeze. They work now. The plugs that were out where the bulb plugs. 5 minute job. Remove the top cover (6 plastic push nuts) remove (2) 10 mm bolts that holds the grill in and pull out the grill an inch or two and plug in the damn connectors. The dealer had to remove the top cover and see that the bulbs were not plugged in and could have reached down the done it themselves and they would have had a happy customer. Instead they chose to LIE to me and were attempting to charge me a few hundred for a 3 minute job.. Horrible... Thanks for everyones help... oh and BTW they bolts were never removed and everything under the cover was brand new. No overspray, no new part tags.. The car was never touched and the fogs were not plugged in from the factory. Just as the previous owner said..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT