Mustang exhaust for those who know their stuff? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang exhaust for those who know their stuff?

Alright, I have a 09 gt and already modified the midpipe to an offroad h pipe, however im trying to achieve that older 4.6l sound such as the 02-04 stangs, you know that deep throaty growl they have. the new mustangs really sound like trucks, which im not liking one bit. tried pypes axel-back mufflers, put my stock ones back on since it sounded stupid. and the pypes mid muffler system sounds like a helicopter in my opinion. any ideas? perhaps modifying it to have borla's welded in the middle or anything such? thanks
imported_daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Try either the off road X or H pipe and get a set of 40 series flowmasters. Get the ones that the inlet and outlet are offset and not lined up. You will see on the outlet side that there is a circle as if it were a place for another out pipe to be, cut this out. When you are finished you have two outlet holes. This should give you what you are looking for. I have a 1995 5.0 and went through five different exhaust setups before I found the article about the flowmasters. It sounds great!! And I have the stock exhaust manifolds. Cant wait to install the headers.
lleweliyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

About the only way you will get the fox style sound is to build a custom exhaust. Yes, the new edge cars were on a fox4 platform for those that don't know. Anyways, the mufflers are so close to the back of the car on the new ones and that is why they sound so different. To get the fox sound, you would have to build an exhaust that puts the mufflers by the tail of the tranny.
curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I agree the newer mustangs do kinda sound like trucks with the stock set up. I own a 2001 4.6 L GT from what I've heard about the newer stangs is you want to get a "straight through" style of muffler. This will unleash the old school sound your looking for. I've seen some local guys running the SSS axle back and Magnaflow Magnapacks and their cars sounded sick. You can check out stage3motorsports.com or americanmuscle.com those sites have some nice exhausts and you can read reviews too. Also check around on you tube and listen to different set ups. If all else fails throw some long tubes on that thing and theres no doubt it would sound mean!
jaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

try longtube headers screw the cats and mufflers
curr is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust