Cold Air Intake or Catback Exhaust? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Cold Air Intake or Catback Exhaust?

Should I get a cold air intake with a sct remote tuner on my 2011 Mustang GT and gain about 40 horsepower or should I buy the rest of the pieces for the Borla Catback Exhaust. I already have the Borla mufflers and the car sounds great. The only thing that worries me about the intake and tuner is that if suddenly the engine does not work properly then the dealer might void my warranty because of the tune upgrade. I heard the catback system will also increase horsepower but I already have the mufflers which give it great sound so im not sure which upgrade to go with.. please let me know what you think. thanks alot!
finnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #2

If the engine is still "exhaust limited", the intake won't help at all....... you'll still have a bottle neck at the exhaust.
imported_Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

412 horsepower is not enough, i guess....
caius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

This is what I did: bought a used GTI, and went straight for the tune + modified intake + aftermarket downpipe. All three cost me about the same as a top of the line catback exhaust. Personally, I'd probably do the same if I had your Mustang. You've already got the great sound, so next you should lay on the power.

As for the warranty part, are you positive that it voids your warranty? Do you have to do the remote tuner in conjunction with the cold air intake, or can you do the intake by itself?
milward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Without a doubt, get a CAI and tuner package. If you have a problem, flash it back to stock before you go back to the dealer. Most of them don't worry about tunes, but you have to tell them not to reflash when it's there or you will have other problems [ask me how I know].

There are a number of great tuners out there, and you can also have it done at a shop with dyno, for a custom tune specific to your car, and that's your best bet

My 05 GT puts down about 340hp wtih my tune and mods and still gets over 20-mpg mixed with big tires.

You're lucky because you will be starting at a much higher baseline...
varney is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
cold air intake, exhaust