Check engine light on because of exaust. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #1

Region: Pennsylvania
Check engine light on because of exaust.

I bought my 08 gt a yr ago from a dealer. After a week of owning it the check engine light came on so I got it checked. All codes led to the o2 sensors. Now that inspection is up I can't pass. My mechanic has tried multiple times to turn the light off but it only stays off for 100 miles or so. I have a bbk long tube header and bbk xpipe set up with two cats before the xpipe. My mechanic says that I could try to get two more cats set up down stream and rerun the o2 sensors but he's not 100% sure if that will work and if it Dosnt it will be a costly worthless install. Dose anyone else have a prob like this?
Blk08Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
You dont have a tuner? You can manually turn it off with a tuner, and it shuts them off right after. My ex girlfriend did it on her 08 GT after she removed her cats, never popped up after that. I have my rear 02 sensors on, but that's because my Bassani comes with offroad tubes that still plug the 02 sensors in (it's a catted/offroad combo x), and my car gives me no CEL for it.

You could go for the cats, but you do run a risk like you said. You could try to buy a catted x pipe, or a tuner. And you'll get some benefit from it.

Upcoming: GT500 Supercharger (Department of Boost), 19" Koko Kuture Sardinia-5 Wheels, etc.
GT Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The tuner will help performance and turn off the O2 sensors. Its cheaper than replacing or paying a mechanic. Next time you can determine what the codes mean. Get it in combo with a CAI, you'll need that anyway.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #4

I will def look into getting a tune. I've been wanting to tune my car anyway just wasn't sure what tune I would go with SCT JLT ect.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Go with Bama, $380 with free tunes on your car. If you ask them to make you a hybrid tune, it'll definitely satisfy you. I had 3 other people in my car and the car still kept spinning the tires and sliding all over the place. That's with the help of 4.10s though. xD

Upcoming: GT500 Supercharger (Department of Boost), 19" Koko Kuture Sardinia-5 Wheels, etc.
GT Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk08Stang View Post
I will def look into getting a tune. I've been wanting to tune my car anyway just wasn't sure what tune I would go with SCT JLT ect.
I've got an SCT and live it. Didn't know about Bama at the time, it's an SCT unit also. It's a big difference.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Just install resistors on your back 02 sensors, cost you about $25.
I did this for my 99 GT and my 01 Cobra and it worked for both cars. This is the write up that I used.
http://www.mikefordmustang.com/writeups/mil-eliminators/how-to-make-mil-eliminators.php
Old 01-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
If your state does an OBD-II scan inspection like here in AZ then turning off the check engine light or the O2 sensors will not work. The inspector will get a "not ready" from the computer and the car will not pass. I had the same issue with my car because I didn't realize my 02 sensors were turned off so I failed inspection. I turned them back on with the stock tune, drove around for a couple of days praying a check engine light wouldn't come on and passed inspection with flying colors. I couldn't get home fast enough to put the s/c tune back in since my car was running real bad on the stock tune.
2007 Torch Red Mustang GT, Parchment Leather, Saleen Supercharger, SCT X-Cal Programmer,brenspeed.com tunes, Tuned by X-Act Dyno (Tempe, Az) 425rwhp, 4:10 Gears, Axel-back MAC exhaust, Dashhawk OBD-II Computer Monitoring System, Sequential Tail Lights, Halo Driving Lights, Eagle Eye Headlights with 6000K HID's, Clear Turn Signal Lenses, Projector Switchback Bulbs, Painted White LeMans Style Stripes, CDC Aggressive chin spoiler, Billet hood pins, Pirelli P-Zero P255 40 ZR19 wheels mounted on 2014 Mustang GT Wheels
Badinuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badinuf View Post
If your state does an OBD-II scan inspection like here in AZ then turning off the check engine light or the O2 sensors will not work. The inspector will get a "not ready" from the computer and the car will not pass. I had the same issue with my car because I didn't realize my 02 sensors were turned off so I failed inspection. I turned them back on with the stock tune, drove around for a couple of days praying a check engine light wouldn't come on and passed inspection with flying colors. I couldn't get home fast enough to put the s/c tune back in since my car was running real bad on the stock tune.
I live in PA and even after the light was off for 2 weeks his computer was still read not ready so he was unable to pass me. Do u think my car was already tuned before I bought it?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Gone View Post
Go with Bama, $380 with free tunes on your car. If you ask them to make you a hybrid tune, it'll definitely satisfy you. I had 3 other people in my car and the car still kept spinning the tires and sliding all over the place. That's with the help of 4.10s though. xD
With a tune... When my mechanic plugs his computer into my system will it just bypass the problem or will it still read that the cats r not on?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I would try the anti-fouler trick on both rear o2 sensors
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plug fouler 2.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	86002   Click image for larger version

Name:	spark plug anti fouler 1.jpg
Views:	2367
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	86003  

Pypes shorties, BBK catted X, Flowmaster Pro's, K&N CAI, FRPP- P springs, Steeda UCA, J&M Panhard bar, Hurst Comp plus, FR500 Wheels W/NITTO's , SCT SF3 W/BAMA 93 Race tune, Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, chin spoiler, Eleanor style grill, GT500 rear spoiler
stemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Gone View Post
You dont have a tuner? You can manually turn it off with a tuner, and it shuts them off right after. My ex girlfriend did it on her 08 GT after she removed her cats, never popped up after that. I have my rear 02 sensors on, but that's because my Bassani comes with offroad tubes that still plug the 02 sensors in (it's a catted/offroad combo x), and my car gives me no CEL for it.

You could go for the cats, but you do run a risk like you said. You could try to buy a catted x pipe, or a tuner. And you'll get some benefit from it.
The tuner disables them, doesn't clear them. If he has OBD inspection, which it sounds like he does, he can not pass inspection still with the tuner because the tuner will make the 02s show "not ready". If you ready them, the code will come back.

OP, Add 'defoulers' to the 02 sensors. There is no guarantee that will work either, though. What state are you in?

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post

The tuner disables them, doesn't clear them. If he has OBD inspection, which it sounds like he does, he can not pass inspection still with the tuner because the tuner will make the 02s show "not ready". If you ready them, the code will come back.

OP, Add 'defoulers' to the 02 sensors. There is no guarantee that will work either, though. What state are you in?
I am in PA.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk08Stang View Post
I am in PA.
Well how close are you to Philly? A LOT of shops here just take a "fee".

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
check engine