Getting rid of rust? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Getting rid of rust?

Hey guys, got a pair of mac longtube headers from a friend with a shorty h pipe and they have some surface rust on them. Whats the best way to get rid of this? I want to doctor them up before I put them on the mustang. Any help is appreciated!
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 610swolf View Post
Hey guys, got a pair of mac longtube headers from a friend with a shorty h pipe and they have some surface rust on them. Whats the best way to get rid of this? I want to doctor them up before I put them on the mustang. Any help is appreciated!
It's probably a low grade stainless steel and in that cause it wouldn't really matter but if you want them clean, pull at your phone book and look up a bead/media blaster it will cost 40-70 bucks I assume at most then when you get
Them back paint them with Vht flameproof paint, then install, start car for 5min shut of let cool, then 10mins then shut off let cool then a 30 min drive then let cool, this will allow the paint to cure properly

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
It's probably a low grade stainless steel and in that cause it wouldn't really matter but if you want them clean, pull at your phone book and look up a bead/media blaster it will cost 40-70 bucks I assume at most then when you get
Them back paint them with Vht flameproof paint, then install, start car for 5min shut of let cool, then 10mins then shut off let cool then a 30 min drive then let cool, this will allow the paint to cure properly
I was reading on the web that I could also sandpaper them down or use a wire wheel. Should I try that before the blasting? The rust isn't super super bad..i don't think. I would post pics but at work hehe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ya sanding them works to or a wire wheel on a grinder, but bead blasting leaves it perfect ad the paint sticks better

And I'm positive this mid pipe is stainless steel and it might just be discoloration your seeing an not rust

Old 01-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 610swolf View Post
I was reading on the web that I could also sandpaper them down or use a wire wheel. Should I try that before the blasting? The rust isn't super super bad..i don't think. I would post pics but at work hehe.
Are they chrome plated or just bare steal? If they're chrome plated, it's going to be really had to sand down the chrome. It's much better to just get the chrome removed with a some chemicals and a bead blaster. Then use high-temp header paint and coat them black.

That's what I would do to have the cleanest finish!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

no chrome just bare metal. since I won't be picking them up until I get off work I couldn't say if it's discoloration or not yet. He just sent a picture to me and said that they had a lil rust on them and I come come pick them up as he's getting rid of all his s197 parts since he moved over to bmw. I'll have more information later when I actually get my hands on them. I just like to think ahead on things.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Post up pics later then, I'll tell you where to go from there

Old 02-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
Ya sanding them works to or a wire wheel on a grinder, but bead blasting leaves it perfect ad the paint sticks better

And I'm positive this mid pipe is stainless steel and it might just be discoloration your seeing an not rust
It can be stainless and still rust. If its a 400 series stainless than it will rust and even pit some. Most stainless exhaust are made from this. High end systems are made from a 300 series stainless and will not rust. The easiest way to tell is a magnet will lightly stick on 400 series but not at all on 300 series
Mark221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Bolt 'em on and run 'em. Whatever corrosion that you remove will come back.
etc1006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT