Parking break HELP? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Parking break HELP?

I need help with my parking break "hand break"? How do I adjust it? I pulled it as far as I can and when im parked on an uphill it moves. I just put it in 1st gear and problem solved but I know my parking break needs to be adjusted.
silverstang831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
The Ford Mustang's braking system is an important safety element. One of the car's braking components is the parking brake, or hand brake, which is located inside the car. The parking brake is easily engaged by pulling up the handle and it is often used when the vehicle is parked.
M/F*Park the car on a level surface and turn off its ignition. Open and secure the car's hood. Disconnect the negative cable from the vehicle's battery, using a wrench. Enter the driver's side of the car. Position yourself at the Mustang's center console. Insert a flat-head screwdriver between the spaces of the parking brake cover and remove it carefully. Pull up on the parking brake handle to the fourth notch.

M/F*Remove the bolts inside the parking brake assembly, using a wrench. Locate the adjuster nut connected at the base of the brake cable rod. Loosen the nut and ensure the cable rod remains attached. Push the parking brake's button and fully lower it.

M/F*Turn the adjuster nut with a wrench until it is completely tightened and located close to the parking brake handle. Ensure the cable rod is in its original position. Pull up and push down the parking brake handle four times to set the adjustments. Reinstall the brake assembly's bolts.

M/F*Apply lubricant to the assembly to maximize adjustment effects. Replace the parking handle cover. Reconnect the negative battery wire and close the hood. Start the engine and test the parking brake to ensure it engages and properly works.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog View Post
The Ford Mustang's braking system is an important safety element. One of the car's braking components is the parking brake, or hand brake, which is located inside the car. The parking brake is easily engaged by pulling up the handle and it is often used when the vehicle is parked.
M/F*Park the car on a level surface and turn off its ignition. Open and secure the car's hood. Disconnect the negative cable from the vehicle's battery, using a wrench. Enter the driver's side of the car. Position yourself at the Mustang's center console. Insert a flat-head screwdriver between the spaces of the parking brake cover and remove it carefully. Pull up on the parking brake handle to the fourth notch.

M/F*Remove the bolts inside the parking brake assembly, using a wrench. Locate the adjuster nut connected at the base of the brake cable rod. Loosen the nut and ensure the cable rod remains attached. Push the parking brake's button and fully lower it.

M/F*Turn the adjuster nut with a wrench until it is completely tightened and located close to the parking brake handle. Ensure the cable rod is in its original position. Pull up and push down the parking brake handle four times to set the adjustments. Reinstall the brake assembly's bolts.

M/F*Apply lubricant to the assembly to maximize adjustment effects. Replace the parking handle cover. Reconnect the negative battery wire and close the hood. Start the engine and test the parking brake to ensure it engages and properly works.
Thanx! Very helpful i appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

No problem
Old 01-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Also, the panel they are talking about you lift up the center console door and on the left front area you will see a small plastic panel, maybe 1" 1/2 by 2" this is where you gain access.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog View Post
Also, the panel they are talking about you lift up the center console door and on the left front area you will see a small plastic panel, maybe 1" 1/2 by 2" this is where you gain access.
THANX BRO haven't had time to fix my parking break I will try this tomorrow doesn't sound to difficult
Old 02-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Yeah thanks to mine is getting a little light too
Mark221 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT