Vortech supercharger problems car quits running - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Vortech supercharger problems car quits running

Hi guys, I just had a H.O. vortech kit installed on my 05 mustang gt the problem is that the car wont stay running.It fires up but shuts down pretty quickly,the shop has checked for a bad ground , fuel , spark and it all seems ok.The only thing that i can think of is that i am running stock plugs do u think that they are heating up 2 much and shutting the car down?I got 2 different answers from vortch , 1 guy said "stock plugs are fine" the other said "it will only affect you at high rpm , but we do recomend autolite htos"
and does anyone know the part # for 1 range colder plugs , NGK,Autolite etc....
thanks everyone.....
Steve
sporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Re: Vortech supercharger problems car quits running

I dont think the plugs has anything to do with the car not wanting to stay running. No dont know the part number. But i wouldnt worry to much about the plugs, at the moment. If ya know what i mean. Did the shop tune it for ya?
Old 07-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

At idle the plugs shouldn't be a problem....higher RPM's the added cylinder pressure could blow the spark out....i would go with a colder plug but Im not sure of the #
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I would think if the car is just shutting down, it would be throwing a code of some sort possibly. Do you have a hand held tuner to run a scan with?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

yea,i have the handheld that came with the kit.The vortech tune is in the car now and i have to get it across the city to a dyno shop so they can do a proper one but i dont know if my TB , headers and catless exhaust along with the blower is throwing out that vortech tune?tha car should still run.Guess I will just have to keep looking or take the damm thing off
Old 07-16-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

keep it as is, and trailer it to a reputable shop around ur town. It could be something really simple, but if you keep it as is without fudging with it, then they can look at it, instead of having to rebuild it.
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporter View Post
yea,i have the handheld that came with the kit.The vortech tune is in the car now and i have to get it across the city to a dyno shop so they can do a proper one but i dont know if my TB , headers and catless exhaust along with the blower is throwing out that vortech tune?tha car should still run.Guess I will just have to keep looking or take the damm thing off
So it isn't throwing any codes when it turns off? or haven't you scanned for codes with the hand held?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
Road Trip!

one free thing to try is clocking the mass air a different way, we had this problem with our turbo 05, also try starting it with the tune not installed but dont rev it up, just let it idle it wont be under much boost so it wont hurt anything.other than that, i cant thing of anything, like rob said it should throw a code on the handheld, even if it says unknown code and gives you a number, i can get the issue off of alldata
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

No i havent tried the codes yet,I am on my way there to see if any were thrown,and yea i guess i better get it to a better speedshop.
thanks guys i will let ya know how it turns out
Old 07-31-2008, 08:22 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas

What's the word Sporter?
fear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #11

Region: Massachusetts

I'm with SimplyOrange; I had the EXACT same problem after my SC install... turned out I installed the MAF backwards. Flipped it around and it's run like a top ever since.
nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:41 PM   #12

Same problem I just had. Mine was fuel pump. The stock pump is no good after 400 hp. I installed the gt500 dual pump upgrade. Before the dual pump I was running lean all the time not now with new pump and it is running in the 12.to12.5 a/f
SOS DUAL PILLAR POD
toolttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #13
Road Trip!

fuel pump wouldnt make it kill at idle, i doubt its making 400hp at 1000rpm, the mass air doesent have to be backwards, it can just be clocked wrong
Old 09-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrange View Post
fuel pump wouldnt make it kill at idle, i doubt its making 400hp at 1000rpm, the mass air doesent have to be backwards, it can just be clocked wrong
It killed mime eventually would not start
SOS DUAL PILLAR POD
toolttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:45 PM   #15
Road Trip!

eventually, but is kills out after starting, it may be a possibilityl but he cant kill it if it never ran the pump hard from not ever starting
Old 11-28-2008, 06:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

wow sorry i dident post sooner but thanks 4 the help,i pulled my car from that shop and had a leak down and compression test all was good!we then changed the plugs with 1 range colder cause the stocks were shot, they must of drove the car 4 a bit to foul them that bad.We then put it on the dyno , and it was WAYYYY RICH , so we did a custom tune and the end result was 445hp and 400ft/t to the ground thanks again 4 all your help
05GT BBK headers,BBK 62 mm TB , off rd x pipe , magnaflow exhaust , Vortech HO kit , corba injectors , corba fuel pumps , upgraded pullys , Lightspeed Inovations custom tune 445hp and 400ft/t to the ground

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT