Headlights and fog lights - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLewis29 View Post

So I would just have to look in the owners manual for that?
Can search all types of bulbs here...
http://www.carparts.com/results/??D=...PN=0+2314&VN=0

And the ballasts you will just mount securely wherever you have a flat surface to screw them in. You will also need a bare spot of metal to attach your grounding wire.
dmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
So I would just have to look in the owners manual for that?
I don't believe those high beams are stock, so you'd need to find out what bulbs they are a different way

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarq View Post
Can search all types of bulbs here...
Headlight Bulb Headlights | Car Parts

And the ballasts you will just mount securely wherever you have a flat surface to screw them in. You will also need a bare spot of metal to attach your grounding wire.
Actually, if the kit is designed for the specific bulb type, as most kits today are, they will just plug into the socket for the old bulb, which already contains a grounding wire. So there's literally no extra wiring that needs to be done besides plugging in the kit and then mounting the ballasts. We have it good nowadays
Old 02-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="AirAndAsphalt;1535123"

Actually, if the kit is designed for the specific bulb type, as most kits today are, they will just plug into the socket for the old bulb, which already contains a grounding wire. So there's literally no extra wiring that needs to be done besides plugging in the kit and then mounting the ballasts. We have it good nowadays [/QUOTE]

Lol nowadays?! Haha...the last few kits I've seen had external ground wires...damn, where are these kits without them?!! Been about two years since I did my last HID upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
So if just get the correct bulb size, and replace it with the bulb I have now, that's all I have to do? Seems to easy to be true lol
ThomasLewis29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So if just get the correct bulb size, and replace it with the bulb I have now, that's all I have to do? Seems to easy to be true lol
As long as you have an HID setup, yes, you just put the correct color bulb in there that you want for your headlight plug. The bulbs aren't too different looking than normal ones. If you do not have an HID setup, then the HID bulb will still fit, but it won't have the power behind it and won't work the same...was that what you were asking?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
as long as it's a current HID kit it's cake to change color temps

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
yeah slosix i was thinking to just buy from amazon or ebay but i figured ddm has bright and no one seems to complain i want them to look good ya know? Like i said before im just not sure what to go with because if i change and they still dont match i will go crazy
mustang17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang17 View Post
yeah slosix i was thinking to just buy from amazon or ebay but i figured ddm has bright and no one seems to complain i want them to look good ya know? Like i said before im just not sure what to go with because if i change and they still dont match i will go crazy
As long as you have smoked fog lights, they will never match...so either smoke your headlights or ditch the counterproductive smoking of lights all together and you will match.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

well to be honest you can match them...

here's an older setup of mine

55w 6k headlights and 55w 6k fog lights from DDM...the headlights are stock oem housings...the fogs are GT fogs with 3 coats of vht on them

Old 02-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

55w 6k headlights and 55w 6k fog lights from DDM...the headlights are stock oem housings...the fogs are GT fogs with 3 coats of vht on them
Nice, I've never seen them match before.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

yeah...it was my favorite setup.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah...it was my favorite setup.
Did you coat the fog lens to match or was it by chance that after three it matched?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

i sprayed before i had HID fogs....halogens weren't bright enough after the vht so i bought the 55w's to go along with my headlights...just worked out

Old 02-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

i dont have smoked..im just wondering if i go 6k with my 35w ballasts will they match

2003 GT
HIDs, 20% tint, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Black bullitt wheels, White bumper inserts, Shorty antenna
Old 02-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Lookin at my headlights now, they aren't too far off from each other. You really gotta look at them to notice the difference. So I'm not worried about them not matching anymore. I don't have the HID kit installed already so I'm gonna get the kit, now I just gotta figure out my bulb sizes.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

Quote:

Those are really sweet pics btw! Is it worth it to get the 55w for the headlights or would 35w be bright enough?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

35w is more then double oem brightness but i live in the sticks so i like to really light up the woods...so ill be going back to that setup asap.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, I can understand that. I'm probably just got get the 35w then. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Alrighty so here's those pics you requested...sorry about them being a few days late. The headlights are the stock HIDs which are (supposedly) rated at about 4150k. The fogs have an HID kit with bulbs that are rated at 4300K, so they are really close. If you look extremely closely you can tell a slight difference, but it's so minor that passing motorists and people checking out my car won't be able to tell. The light spread is awesome as well, it's a little hard to tell in the pic i have here, but this setup really lights up the road, no issues with that at all. I love this setup quite a bit Any questions, feel free to ask me! glad to help you all out

Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirAndAsphalt View Post
Alrighty so here's those pics you requested...sorry about them being a few days late. The headlights are the stock HIDs which are (supposedly) rated at about 4150k. The fogs have an HID kit with bulbs that are rated at 4300K, so they are really close. If you look extremely closely you can tell a slight difference, but it's so minor that passing motorists and people checking out my car won't be able to tell. The light spread is awesome as well, it's a little hard to tell in the pic i have here, but this setup really lights up the road, no issues with that at all. I love this setup quite a bit Any questions, feel free to ask me! glad to help you all out
This makes me realize how bad i need HID's haha. My headlights are sooo dim.
C_Dailey95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

wow looks good! i dont see any difference to be honest they look the same
Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

So I finally got my HIDs. I went with 6k 35w in headlights and fogs. The colors match perfect with my CCFL halos and there is no deference in color with my fog lights being smoked and my headlights not. There is a huge difference while driving and night and I love the visibility while driving at night. The only thing is I feel they are too bright and I even stepped out and looked at them from a distance and the glare is pretty bad; but in the two nights I drove, no body has flashed me and I even drove past a cop and he didn't stop me. But is there a way to aim the lights down to reduce glare? I've also heard lately that HIDs are illegal with the stock reflector lights because those were designed around halogen bulbs, if that's true, I won't be passing my next vehicle inspection here in NC. If I were to get a set of headlights that have the projector housing things (i.e. the ones made by Raxiom on americanmuscle.com, or any other similar to that), would that make the HIDs I have now legal? As far as I've seen, I'm the first to have this type of question on this forum, so I'm hoping somebody here knows about this.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I finally got my HIDs. I went with 6k 35w in headlights and fogs. The colors match perfect with my CCFL halos and there is no deference in color with my fog lights being smoked and my headlights not. There is a huge difference while driving and night and I love the visibility while driving at night. The only thing is I feel they are too bright and I even stepped out and looked at them from a distance and the glare is pretty bad; but in the two nights I drove, no body has flashed me and I even drove past a cop and he didn't stop me. But is there a way to aim the lights down to reduce glare? I've also heard lately that HIDs are illegal with the stock reflector lights because those were designed around halogen bulbs, if that's true, I won't be passing my next vehicle inspection here in NC. If I were to get a set of headlights that have the projector housing things (i.e. the ones made by Raxiom on americanmuscle.com, or any other similar to that), would that make the HIDs I have now legal? As far as I've seen, I'm the first to have this type of question on this forum, so I'm hoping somebody here knows about this.

glad to hear they match im going to get 6k soon for head lights and fogs because my 8k just dont do it for me. they are illegal but i highly doubt you will have a problem passing inspection, i never hear anyone have that problem but maybe someone else knows more. good luck!

2003 GT
HIDs, 20% tint, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Black bullitt wheels, White bumper inserts, Shorty antenna
Old 03-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang17 View Post

glad to hear they match im going to get 6k soon for head lights and fogs because my 8k just dont do it for me. they are illegal but i highly doubt you will have a problem passing inspection, i never hear anyone have that problem but maybe someone else knows more. good luck!
You will definitely like the 6k, it is the perfect balance between a crisp white light and the hint of blue. It really looks good! I gotta figure out my little problem and I will have no more worries!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well if other drivers aren't flashing and you aren't getting pulled over, I'd say it must not be too bright! I don't believe you can adjust the stock headlights or fogs...someone correct me if I'm wrong. Remember, brighter is better for you, you can see so much more! As for inspection, you could either get tinted housings, or maybe save the stock bulbs and just slap them back in the day of the inspection? That's what I'd do!
Old 03-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #60

Went to court for a speeding ticket... Sucks lol.... (Wrong tread, sorry)
DannyRC24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well if other drivers aren't flashing and you aren't getting pulled over, I'd say it must not be too bright! I don't believe you can adjust the stock headlights or fogs...someone correct me if I'm wrong. Remember, brighter is better for you, you can see so much more! As for inspection, you could either get tinted housings, or maybe save the stock bulbs and just slap them back in the day of the inspection? That's what I'd do!
That's what I was thinking since nobody is flashing me. And if the stock bulbs will work with the HID kit, them my problem with inspections is solved lol. The only thing I'm worried about now is a cop the knows the laws of HIDs and notices I have them and decides to stop me. Hopefully it would just be a fix it ticket haha
Old 03-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #62
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLewis29

That's what I was thinking since nobody is flashing me. And if the stock bulbs will work with the HID kit, them my problem with inspections is solved lol. The only thing I'm worried about now is a cop the knows the laws of HIDs and notices I have them and decides to stop me. Hopefully it would just be a fix it ticket haha
Still doesn't change the fact your scattered lighting is blinding other drivers. I don't always flash other drivers, just flip the bird.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

Still doesn't change the fact your scattered lighting is blinding other drivers. I don't always flash other drivers, just flip the bird.
That's true, and that's why I wanna find a way to fix it
Old 03-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

if its blinding other drivers they will flash at him if not then its not bothering other drivers

2003 GT
Old 03-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #65
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang17

if its blinding other drivers they will flash at him if not then its not bothering other drivers
Lol ok. This debate will never end. At least i'm on the right side of the law.
Our's:
Old 03-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

its his car he can do what he pleases if he is blinding people they will flash its simple its not a debate. if the people are blinded and cant see they will flash and im sure he will make sure he gets it fixed

2003 GT
Old 03-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Im not tryin to start an argument, I'm trying to find a way to fix this. Answers > criticism lol
Old 03-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #68
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLewis29

Im not tryin to start an argument, I'm trying to find a way to fix this. Answers > criticism lol
You most likely will have no problems unless you find a cop on a bad day. As far as inspections go you might want to check your local laws as they will vary depending on your location.
Our's:
Old 03-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You most likely will have no problems unless you find a cop on a bad day. As far as inspections go you might want to check your local laws as they will vary depending on your location.
I've been looking and haven't found anything yet, but I was just gonna throw my old halogens for the inspection. I'm gonna cal Americanmuscle.com and ask about their projector headlight and see if that would fix my problem with the scattered light
Old 03-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

I also noticed that my HIDs are capped so I'm sure that helped with some glare, and I also aimed my lights down for the time being while I'm waiting to get my projector headlights. Here are some pics of that cap and how much of a change in angle input. The lights were previously on the borderline of being aimed upwards and weren't level, so I'm kinda disappointed at the people who installed them; but hopefully this change will help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-767485638.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	97813   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2771433420.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	382.6 KB
ID:	97814  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT