Headlights and fog lights - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Headlights and fog lights

Yesterday I got my smoked fog lights w/CCFL halos installed and I couldn't be happier with how they look...when just the halos are on. At night when I have the headlights and the fog lights without the halos on, they are different colors of light and its just weird looking. (I'll get a pic up here in the morning so y'all can see what I'm talking about.) I'm considering getting HIDs, but I'm not sure how all that stuff works. Is it something worth looking into or should I invest in getting brighter bulbs?
ThomasLewis29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Get hid's
Old 02-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
can't go wrong with HIDs

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

What's the price range for the HIDs?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Try eBay or ddmtuning
Old 02-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Okay. Are they an easy install or should take them to somebody that knows what they are doing? lol
Old 02-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Look they are easy less than 15 min
Old 02-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Alright. Thanks man!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

hard to mess up an HID kit...

DDM Tuning 35W and 55W HID Kits

Old 02-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
yeah go with HIDs you will be happy as far as install the guys say its easy i never personally did mine but i dont think it is very hard

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

plus if you run into any problems there is probably tons of videos on youtube to help you out
mustang17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I personally did mines and it was really easy. I just youtube it and did it step by step.
ShelbyGT500B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
hard to mess up an HID kit...

DDM Tuning 35W and 55W HID Kits
Between the 35W and 55W, is that just brightness and personal preference or is that something that has to do with what the car needs? And I also don't understand what the H10 and H11 stuff means. Is that the type of bulb or is it size?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:49 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLewis29 View Post

Between the 35W and 55W, is that just brightness and personal preference or is that something that has to do with what the car needs? And I also don't understand what the H10 and H11 stuff means. Is that the type of bulb or is it size?
35W and 55W are the power of ballast in the kit. 55 is brighter than 35, but 35 is still exceedingly bright. Most websites recommend 35W for fog lights bc 55s get hotter and can actually melt the small fog light housing (and we don't want that!). I'm currently running 35W HIDs in my fog lights and they are plenty bright, I love them. As far as bulb type goes, it should say on the website you got them from what type of bulb they use...if its not the stock one. If it is, just check your owners manual! The hid kit will plug directly into your stock bulb sockets.
A word of caution however...the kit I'm running that I mentioned earlier...was ordered from ddm tuning. They got the bulb type correct, but apparently they ignored the bulb color temp I ordered...when they showed up they were much bluer than I wanted, plus they didn't even really match, they looked slightly different in color when lit. Upon noticing this, I sent a support request to ddm stating what happened. The responded with a lame excuse, did nothing to fix my problem, and closed the ticket. I had to go to ebay to get the correct color bulbs. Maybe I just got unlucky and the guy or gal who packed my package was asleep that day, but that's no excuse for crappy customer service. You really can't beat eBay's built in feedback/support system. I'm gonna start there for projects in the future. Just my $0.02! Hope this helps
Old 02-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
ordered my old HID kit off the vvme website. Their shipping is fast and their customer service is excellent. 12v 55w digital slim h13 9008 bi xenon HID kit with 6000k bulbs is what I will be ordering next for my mustang..it's around $50-60....i need to stop dragging my feet. The install is easy as hell, just plug some wiring harnesses into your existing wiring and that is pretty much it. Just be sure to find a good spot to ground it to and that will eliminate most of your problems.
dmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirAndAsphalt View Post

35W and 55W are the power of ballast in the kit. 55 is brighter than 35, but 35 is still exceedingly bright. Most websites recommend 35W for fog lights bc 55s get hotter and can actually melt the small fog light housing (and we don't want that!). I'm currently running 35W HIDs in my fog lights and they are plenty bright, I love them. As far as bulb type goes, it should say on the website you got them from what type of bulb they use...if its not the stock one. If it is, just check your owners manual! The hid kit will plug directly into your stock bulb sockets.
A word of caution however...the kit I'm running that I mentioned earlier...was ordered from ddm tuning. They got the bulb type correct, but apparently they ignored the bulb color temp I ordered...when they showed up they were much bluer than I wanted, plus they didn't even really match, they looked slightly different in color when lit. Upon noticing this, I sent a support request to ddm stating what happened. The responded with a lame excuse, did nothing to fix my problem, and closed the ticket. I had to go to ebay to get the correct color bulbs. Maybe I just got unlucky and the guy or gal who packed my package was asleep that day, but that's no excuse for crappy customer service. You really can't beat eBay's built in feedback/support system. I'm gonna start there for projects in the future. Just my $0.02! Hope this helps
i got mine from a shop and i ordered 8k for head and fog lights they fogs are noticeably bluer. after arguing they told me the fog lens is smaller so the light is constricted which makes them look bluer anyone know if this is true? im not happy with them and im gonna order 6k from ddm but before i do so i want to make sure that the 6k will match eachother because these are really annoying me nor do i even like the color because IMO it doesnt look nice on a mustang and i think 6 is the best way to go.

2003 GT
HIDs, 20% tint, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Black bullitt wheels, White bumper inserts, Shorty antenna
Old 02-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

They might have given you the same wattage for the fogs as they did for the headlights. If you order the 6000k for your fogs, your lights likely won't match.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarq View Post
They might have given you the same wattage for the fogs as they did for the headlights. If you order the 6000k for your fogs, your lights likely won't match.
yea im 99% sure its the same wattage considering how unprofessional they are. What do you recommend i do to have them match while still have good visibility and a nice look?

2003 GT
HIDs, 20% tint, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Black bullitt wheels, White bumper inserts, Shorty antenna
Old 02-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang17 View Post

yea im 99% sure its the same wattage considering how unprofessional they are. What do you recommend i do to have them match while still have good visibility and a nice look?
I'd check with what AirAndAsphalt was saying about the 35w for fogs. Maybe his fogs match his headlights better?? He seems happy with them, so they probably do. You should be able to get a 35w foglight kit for pretty cheap and sell your existing to get your money back.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

i got mine from a shop and i ordered 8k for head and fog lights they fogs are noticeably bluer. after arguing they told me the fog lens is smaller so the light is constricted which makes them look bluer anyone know if this is true? im not happy with them and im gonna order 6k from ddm but before i do so i want to make sure that the 6k will match eachother because these are really annoying me nor do i even like the color because IMO it doesnt look nice on a mustang and i think 6 is the best way to go.
A smaller lens shouldn't make that big of a difference in color. 8000k is quite blue of a color as far as HIDs go, however. I'd recommend going through eBay for replacement bulbs, not ddm...so much faster, more support, and just as cheap! FYI if you google "hid color chart" you can see all the color temps side by side to see what you like best! Also, the ballast is what controls the wattage, so you'd need to replace that as well if you want to decrease the power. I'm ecstatic with mine. I have the stock ford HIDs in my headlights (which are rated at 4150k I think?) so I found 4300k bulbs for the fogs and they match amazingly well and are super bright. I can get a pic for you tonight if needed. Good luck! Post pics when you're done!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

please post pics it will help alot. im definitely not happy with 8k its just not a mustang look it isnt a muscle car look if that makes sense?

2003 GT
Old 02-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Just go buy 6000k bulbs. It's a nice bright white with the slightest tinge of blue around the edge until they heat up...looks awesome.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:24 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

should they match eachother?

2003 GT
Old 02-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
should they match eachother?
What setup do you have now? I'll try to get a good pic of mine tonight when it starts to get dark
Old 02-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What setup do you have now? I'll try to get a good pic of mine tonight when it starts to get dark
i have 8k on headlights and foglights both 35w they dont match the fogs are bluer. if i get the 6k for both and they are both 35w i want to know if they will match. i hope they will.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

If you just wanna swap to a different bulb screw ebay lol...go to amazon. I get different sets there for $6 a pair plus $5 to ship. Ill only get ballasts through ddm though.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

@AirAndAsphalt and @dmarq. Thank you for answering my question about the difference between 35W&55W, and also for your input and telling me about those websites, ill be sure to check them out when it comes time to get my HIDs. And @mustang17, I'm worried about the same thing happening to me. The lights don't match now and with my aftermarket smoked fog lights I installed and I don't want to upgrade to HIDs just yet until I figure out what is gonna match or come closest to matching.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

So if I were to get 35W 6000k for my headlights, should I get 8000k for my fog lights since they are smoked?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:14 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Im about to pick up some smoked ccfl halo main lights and fog lights, and also an Eleanor style grill.

With this tall of HID now im debating if i am
Overlooking something important. Will the stock h10's not look great in the ccfl smoked?
TrentonPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:24 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
@AirAndAsphalt and @dmarq. Thank you for answering my question about the difference between 35W&55W, and also for your input and telling me about those websites, ill be sure to check them out when it comes time to get my HIDs. And @mustang17, I'm worried about the same thing happening to me. The lights don't match now and with my aftermarket smoked fog lights I installed and I don't want to upgrade to HIDs just yet until I figure out what is gonna match or come closest to matching.
No problem, man...I was thinking of smoked fogs too, but then I would have the different color HID problem too so I just decided to go with the traditional amber color for my fogs.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So if I were to get 35W 6000k for my headlights, should I get 8000k for my fog lights since they are smoked?
Hmm probably not. The higher color temp is just going to be bluer, not brighter. 5000k is the brightest hid bulbs you can possibly get, it's the purest light. You should probably just get same color, honestly. It should be the same color. Although I've never had smoked lights so I'm not the most experienced with them. Btw a lot of people use 55w for headlights bc they are brighter. But bc it's brighter it tends to wash out the color a little.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hmm probably not. The higher color temp is just going to be bluer, not brighter. 5000k is the brightest hid bulbs you can possibly get, it's the purest light. You should probably just get same color, honestly. It should be the same color. Although I've never had smoked lights so I'm not the most experienced with them. Btw a lot of people use 55w for headlights bc they are brighter. But bc it's brighter it tends to wash out the color a little.
Yeah, I guess if its bright enough, it wouldn't be too noticeable. As long as its not an obvious difference in color ill be happy. I also have two lights towards the bottom (my highbeams) which I've never seen anybody have so far, so I'm gonna have to figure out how to get the HIDs down there too.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah, I guess if its bright enough, it wouldn't be too noticeable. As long as its not an obvious difference in color ill be happy. I also have two lights towards the bottom (my highbeams) which I've never seen anybody have so far, so I'm gonna have to figure out how to get the HIDs down there too.
Yeah, I was looking at your pics, I've not seen HID bulbs for those smaller unit....
Old 02-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

All you really need to know is what type of bulbs it uses and where to mount the ballasts and you're good
Old 02-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

All you really need to know is what type of bulbs it uses and where to mount the ballasts and you're good
So I would just have to look in the owners manual for that?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarq View Post
ordered my old HID kit off the vvme website. Their shipping is fast and their customer service is excellent. 12v 55w digital slim h13 9008 bi xenon HID kit with 6000k bulbs is what I will be ordering next for my mustang..it's around $50-60....i need to stop dragging my feet. The install is easy as hell, just plug some wiring harnesses into your existing wiring and that is pretty much it. Just be sure to find a good spot to ground it to and that will eliminate most of your problems.
And those gave off that clear white light or still that yellowish haze ?
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT