Cold Air Kits - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #1

Cold Air Kits

I've just picked up a '07 GT Conv & looking to make a few minor tweaks....Specifically, I'd like to add a cold air kit which doesn't break the bank or void factory/extended warranty. Most people I've talked w/ indicate the re-flash is a sticky wicket when dealing with warranty problems, so it looks like choices are limited.

I'm told the Ford Racing kit, when installed/reflashed by a dealer, doesn't void the warranty & I've found a Granatelli kit w/ a revised MAF sensor which shouldn't void the warranty, but does the new MAF eliminate the possibility of engine running lean? Are there others I'm missing? I'd like to stay 87 octane / smaller benefit, simply due to driving economics.

I've also accumulated a box of goodies for this weekend's thrash, including a set of Pypes axle-backs, Hurst Comp/Plus short throw & trick 'Powered by Ford' emblems from the '07/'08 Shelby GT. Kinda new to Blue Oval performance, as I've been a GM guy forever, wrenching on the oldies but goodies...

Thanks again for the help
goodwrench707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #2

Region: Texas
Re: Cold Air Kits

Cold air kit will not void. I use JLT and the are only 200.00
captainsteve57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

It doesnt matter a cheap ebay cold air kit is just as good as a high end 1.
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

You are going to want to pay attention to the manufacturers details. Some cai kits can be ran on the s197's without a reflash but some of them cannot. BBK and granatelli I believe advertise no reflash needed and both are nice kits.
Benjytps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

A CAI by itself will not typically void a warranty...However, to get the full effect of the CAI, it needs to be used in conjuction with a new ECU tune along with several other goodies that will without a doubt void a warranty...

A CAI by itself is, in all honesty, almost completely useless, and as a result, its typically one of the mods that gets done maybe 7th or 8th on the list of your typical bolt-ons...

That being said, I like the C&L kit or the JLT kit myself...but as 1234 stated, going with an expensive brand really doesnt make any difference at all...CAI's are generall nothing more than a bigger diameter plastic or metal tube with a "high-flow" air filter...if you had the time, patience, and frugal nature, you could make your own CAI fairly quickly...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to 05RedDevil

K&N is trustworthy, fits well and does not require a reflash.
C&L is supposed to be the best although it does require a reflash but, hey, if you are into modding, it will happen sooner or later so might as well buy the tuner ASAP. lol
Old 07-22-2008, 08:06 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

welcome. I am helping my friend figure out things for his 08 gt and after a bunch of research if you put an air intake on your 05+ gt you MUST get it tuned~ no way around it.... just do it. The only real way to do it and keep the warranty is the ford racing one that they may have to put on but I think they send you the tunner and you plug it in and what not~

some dealers wont care as much as others~ you can easily put the stocker back on and put the factory tune back in the car for warranty work~ just cant take it there for regular upkeep.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to 05RedDevil

I had no issue when I had the K&N CAI on mine and it was not tuned
Old 07-24-2008, 07:38 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
welcome. I am helping my friend figure out things for his 08 gt and after a bunch of research if you put an air intake on your 05+ gt you MUST get it tuned~ no way around it.... just do it. The only real way to do it and keep the warranty is the ford racing one that they may have to put on but I think they send you the tunner and you plug it in and what not~

some dealers wont care as much as others~ you can easily put the stocker back on and put the factory tune back in the car for warranty work~ just cant take it there for regular upkeep.
Listen To Brandon !! To get the best results and have your motor running right tune it

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #10

Region: Delaware

I hve been running the GMS unit now for two years with no complaints.The recalibrated slot in MAF sensor works flawlessly and it helped according to the "Butt Dyno".And no there is no lean condition as far as I can tell...
Eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

The Roush/Airaid cold air kit is a bolt on that fits perfect, looks great and does NOT require a reflash. If you decide later to do get a reflash, you remoce a restrictor and get it for a full effect. Its your cheapest best bet.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000016b
2007 Redfire Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Black cloth top, 5 speed, heated seats, IUP, PTP, Dark charcoal with chamois seats, 18" polished wheels, side air bags, Shaker 500, Wheel Locking Kit, Active Anti-Theft System, spoiler delete, SLP Loudmouths.. born 10/18/2006
topbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #12

Region: Texas

I have a K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake system, no complaints here.
06v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

unless you have had your car dynoed to check after a CAI was installed you really have no clue if its ok or not~ just putting it on and driving it and assuming its fine is not enough. Any car can compensate during normal non WOT driving for the most part, its the WOT that im more worried about. Its always best to have it checked out~ I have just a CAI and exhaust and I had mine dynoed... it was lean and not only that it was costing me some ponies due to that.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT