Overheating - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Overheating

My car is an 06 gt automatic with about 65,000 miles. Last week as I was driving the temperate gauge was really high. On my way to the dealer a few miles out it overheated and coolant spay out. Shut down the vehicle and had a tow truck tow me the remaining 1mile.
Well dealer is charging 400+ dollars since they say the thermostat needs to be replace. The battle is on with the extended warranty since they don't want to cover this time.

I heard its really easy to replace the thermostat but I also read that on the 06 models the thermostat it's really a big pain in the bud to replace...
Where exactly is it and what other parts I need to remove to replace that part..
Any advice or steps will be very thankful
Jayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Easy job......

How To Change The Thermostat In A Ford Mustang

http://forums.themustangsource.com/a...help-lisa5.pdf
Old 02-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The second link is a PDF of the engine view and thermostat location. Take your time and save $375 and do it yourself.
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks maldog,
Well if on Monday dealer denies warranty work then I'll have to do it the parking lot.
How long you think it should take
Old 02-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It should take you about 1 1/2 hours. Good luck..... Push that warranty if you can.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks and yeah, Monday I'm stopping by the dealer with my tools after talking to them they still deny it then ill push it out and work on the side parking lot...
Old 02-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjay View Post
Thanks and yeah, Monday I'm stopping by the dealer with my tools after talking to them they still deny it then ill push it out and work on the side parking lot...
Do it! Lol that's perfect, as they're trying to sell new cars you have the hood up doing your own work.
maverick214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
What kind of extended warranty do you have

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I have the portfolio extended warranty
Old 02-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So how did it go???
Old 02-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Dang thermostat change is a lot more complicated in these monsters than what I'm used too haha. Good luck man!
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

So I guess it wasn't really my thermostat or something else just got screw up. Two weeks after replacing my thermostat my car just overheated again... How can I check If my fans are working properly or my water pump... I have no signs of leaks until it overheats and it starts to come out through the cap...
I was driving home from work about 30miles per hour on the freeway ( traffic) with the AC in low setting since it was kind of hot, once I exit the freeway I notice white smoke coming from my hood, turn the car off and open the hood, I noticed that it was coming from the cap, since I had white spots around it from the evaporated radiator fluid. I turn the car key to on position(before it starts) and I didn't hear the radiator fan on... Should the fan be on especially since its really hot...
Note I also haven't use my AC since I had change my thermostat last two weeks
Old 03-24-2013, 12:43 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Jayjay ........ You may have a bad tempature sensor causing the fan not to come on when it should.

The engine gets signals from two sources. 1. When the a/c is turned on the cooling fan will turn on. 2. When the coolant temp sensor tells the computer the coolant is at a certain temp and turns it on.

The temp sensor is located on the very back of the intake manifold more towards the right side of the engine.

find the sensor and make sure its plugged in ,,,if it is ,, then start the car up ,,,unplug the sensor ,,,,and wait about 1 min ,,, see if the cooling fan comes on ,,,,,, if it does not then use a paper clip or a small jumper wire and jump the two wires in the conector for the temp sensor and wait 1 min ,,,see if the cooling fan comes on
if you can get the cooling fan to come on by unpluging the sensor or jumping the wires ,,,then your sensor is probly bad and needs to be replaced.

Try researching what I've given you and get back to us.

Good luck!

Dan
Old 03-24-2013, 12:49 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Dan(maldog)

Thanks for been clear and detailed and taking your time to help out, I will see if I get to check it tomorrow or first thing on Monday morning... Got the car just park on the driveway
Old 03-24-2013, 12:52 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry I forgot the other stuff you asked............ To check your water pump to see if it's working. Take of the radiator cap before you start the car when it's cold!!! Then wait for the engine to start warming up!! Once your thermostat opens up you will be able to see the water moving in the radiator. Then put cap on radiator and shut off engine.

Also, I forgot to ask. Check to see with the car parked and engine running if the fan turns on when you put the a/c on??

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Thanks Dan(maldog)

Thanks for been clear and detailed and taking your time to help out, I will see if I get to check it tomorrow or first thing on Monday morning... Got the car just park on the driveway
No problem brother. I know car problems suck

Well I have cancer and not feeling all that great so I'm going to sleep. I will keep checking on the thread if you need any other help.

Again good luck.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:56 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog View Post
Sorry I forgot the other stuff you asked............ To check your water pump to see if it's working. Take of the radiator cap before you start the car when it's cold!!! Then wait for the engine to start warming up!! Once your thermostat opens up you will be able to see the water moving in the radiator. Then put cap on radiator and shut off engine.

Also, I forgot to ask. Check to see with the car parked and engine running if the fan turns on when you put the a/c on??

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

No problem brother. I know car problems suck

Well I have cancer and not feeling all that great so I'm going to sleep. I will keep checking on the thread if you need any other help.

Again good luck.
Thanks, I had checked but with AC off, I will check tomorrow morning and see if the fans turn on with the AC on...
Hope you get better soon and thanks for everything 😄
Old 03-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Just turn the car on with the AC on and the fans did turn on, tomorrow I will be disconnecting the sensor and see if they turn on too
Old 03-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just turn the car on with the AC on and the fans did turn on, tomorrow I will be disconnecting the sensor and see if they turn on too
Ok! We now know that is working. I'll check up on you tomorrow to see how it's going.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

You can see the temp sensor in this diagram. C107
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.gif
Views:	11434
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	98262
Old 03-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you, that should make it much easier tomorrow
Old 03-25-2013, 12:06 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Lets the fans do turn on tomorrow what else can I check, is it possible the fans work sometimes and sometimes it does not.
Will it be a good idea to drive it around the block several minutes and let the temperature get above average but not too hot and check if the fan turn on...
Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lets the fans do turn on tomorrow what else can I check, is it possible the fans work sometimes and sometimes it does not.
Will it be a good idea to drive it around the block several minutes and let the temperature get above average but not too hot and check if the fan turn on...
Check your water pump circulation to take that out of the picture. Then follow the directions on the sensor exactly how I explained it to eliminate if it's the sensor or not.

Also, have you replaced your radiator cap? I know it sounds dumb, but they procedure for replacing the radiator cap is once you take it off your suppose to replace it. I replace mine once a year.

Good luck.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:36 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Check your water pump circulation first when you start it up with the radiator cap off. Once the thermostat opens if it's working properly you will see water turning in the top of the radiator. Once you see water turning and know your pump is working properly, put the radiator cap back on. If it's not to cold outside where your at it should heat up rather quick.

If you do drive it don't go to far and keep the a/c off. You know the fan comes on with the a/c on. If temp gets high stop and pop the hood and check to see if the fan is on?

Remember to do the sensor test first before you do the above.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:03 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks a lot... Hope I get to find my problem tomorrow. And no I have not replace the cap...
Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks a lot... Hope I get to find my problem tomorrow. And no I have not replace the cap...
Good luck today and replace the cap ASAP! It could be your problem?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Disconnected the sensor as pic shows. Been running on a cold engine for 5 min and fan won't start. Temperature inside car is 1/4 hot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-265639886.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	98338  
Old 03-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry the pic is the wrong one...
Old 03-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. Did you do this part yet?

find the sensor and make sure its plugged in ,,,if it is ,, then start the car up ,,,unplug the sensor ,,,,and wait about 1 min ,,, see if the cooling fan comes on ,,,,,, if it does not then use a paper clip or a small jumper wire and jump the two wires in the conector for the temp sensor and wait 1 min ,,,see if the cooling fan comes on
if you can get the cooling fan to come on by unpluging the sensor or jumping the wires ,,,then your sensor is probly bad and needs to be replaced.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

Jump the wire on the end of the plug and wait about a minute. If fan doesn't come on with sensor unplugged or jumping with wire then sensor should be fine. If engine is heated up enough for fan to come on? Plug the wire back on the sensor and see if fan comes on. (drive vehicle if need be).

If all that passes then replace your radiator cap. Did you check you circulation of your water pump?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Ok,
This is what I did, I started my car up and temperature outside about 70 degrees, I checked for the fan but they did not turn on, after about 10min and temperate gauge almost in the middle(regular temperature) the fans turned on. Water in the radiator was in fact moving so water pumps works. I disconnected the relay for the low speed fan but fan kept working, removed the high speed relay and fan stopped working. I'm assuming the fan speed is not that strong to keep my car temperature cool down.
I drove the car for 14 miles and did not overheat and temperature staid normal. Since last time it overheated I had the AC on and maybe the fans weren't working to fast to cool it down...

Both relays on for the high and low fan work cause I switch them around... The fan stays at one speed I'm guessing when it suppose to be at high speed it's working on low speed and when it suppose to be at low speed it does not work. Before I leave work at 2am I'm going to Check the fan again when I start the car
Old 03-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so it sounds like your low speed mini relay is bad. If you open your hood and go to the power distribution box and take off the cover.

The mini relay for low speed fan is # 28
The mini relay for high speed fan is #25

You can swap them and see if the low speed will works. If so go get a new mini relay and replace.

That makes more sense that your low speed fan operation is not working. Your engine builds up more heat and low speeds due to less air flow.

Tell me how that goes for you.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:26 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I swap both mini relays and and the fan operate the same, fan only turn on wen the temperature Is almost half ways. Tomorrow I'm drive it about 30 miles and Im keeping an eye on the temperature gauge. I think it only overheats if the AC is on...
Is it possible that my radiator could have build up( clogged) inside and causing less flow of the antifreeze.
That's why when the AC is on it can't keeper it could down since the water flow is restricted.
Well I'm going to see tomorrow after my drive
Old 03-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

See that's strange...... When you turn on the a/c the fans automatically should go to high speed. You say it overheats with the a/c on? Did you confirm the fans come on with the a/c on?

If all the checks that I've had you do and you did are good, then you should get your radiator flushed and filled and replace the cap.

That would be my suggestion for you. I like to troubleshoot before replacing any parts, but everything that's been checked is working.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:43 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Yes the fan does turn on with the AC on, yeah I'm going to call the healer for a coolant flush price, if its too much I'm going to flush it myself and see what happens.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Just drove the car 30 miles and did not overheated, I drove with the AC on for 15 too and did not overheat neither. Temperature remain normal all the time.
I will need to do more testing probably on a hotter day around 80 degrees.
For the mean time I will be doing a radiator flush add new coolant and hopefully that fixes my problem... Will keep you updated if anything changes...

Thanks a lot For everything

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

Maldog,
Thanks for everything, your input, knowledge and patience helped me out a lot and I appreciate it very much
Thank you
Old 03-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just drove the car 30 miles and did not overheated, I drove with the AC on for 15 too and did not overheat neither. Temperature remain normal all the time.
I will need to do more testing probably on a hotter day around 80 degrees.
For the mean time I will be doing a radiator flush add new coolant and hopefully that fixes my problem... Will keep you updated if anything changes...

Thanks a lot For everything

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

Maldog,
Thanks for everything, your input, knowledge and patience helped me out a lot and I appreciate it very much
Thank you

No problem Jayjay. Good luck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT