Tune programmer question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #1

Region: Illinois
Tune programmer question

Can I use a SCT programmer that my neighbor bought for his 08 GT on my 07 GT? I know they are specific for a car but can it be reset or reprogramed? I just bought his C&L street CAI off of him. If I could get his box I could get a custom brenspeed tune emailed and load it on the programmer. It might save me $100-200 if I could.
Any info would be great.
briankeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The only way to un marry the tuner and car are to return the first car to stock tune, then it will marry another car, and yes u can use any tune you want. This is per the tech line at AM. need one for both my 04 GT and my 05 GT. lol, hoped I could use one with two sets of tunes.
Bleem@1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
The tuner is locked to the car. It will not be free to unmarry it.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Borii, the SCT tuners can program any car, but the last car programmed must be returned to stock. It costs nothing to change from car to car as long as you use a tune already loaded. If you want tunes, then it costs. The thing that stops everyone from sharing is only one car at a time can by modified from stock programming.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #5

Region: Illinois
He traded in the car with the tune still loaded. He changed the gear so it would have messed up the speedometer. He said it's $150 to unlock it, then $100 to load a tune, if he sold it for $100 I might as well get a new for $379.
briankeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

When I talked to AM about my cars a couple of days ago we assumed both cars were available. I'm sure you can send it in and have it reset.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Honestly I would just buy a new tuner if it was me
Kcstunna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I'm confused, I always thought once a tuner was used on a car it was locked to that specific car unless you sent it off back to the manufacturer to be unlocked. Is this not the case now for specific tuners?
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ya it might be easier to just get a new one especially if you decide to do quite a few mods down the road

Custom Dyno Tune By B&D Racing
340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Stang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 610swolf View Post
I'm confused, I always thought once a tuner was used on a car it was locked to that specific car unless you sent it off back to the manufacturer to be unlocked. Is this not the case now for specific tuners?
It's locked to the car relative to the tune. Once you return the car to it's stock (stored in the tuner) tune, then it can be used on another car. But you can't have multiple tunes on multiple cars. 1 tune 1 car. I believe that you can only do this to 3 different cars before it locks out. At least this is how my SCT works.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
It's locked to the car relative to the tune. Once you return the car to it's stock (stored in the tuner) tune, then it can be used on another car. But you can't have multiple tunes on multiple cars. 1 tune 1 car. I believe that you can only do this to 3 different cars before it locks out. At least this is how my SCT works.
OK, so if I were to call my buddy up and ask to use his tuner ( which he has returned to stock since he's selling his mustang ) and order a tune from brenspeed or bama or someplace I could use it?
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 610swolf View Post
OK, so if I were to call my buddy up and ask to use his tuner ( which he has returned to stock since he's selling his mustang ) and order a tune from brenspeed or bama or someplace I could use it?
Yeah you should be able to. There should be some tunes on the tuner already. My came with 3. If it's got stock tunes on it, you can try to load one of those and see how it goes. Like I said mine is an SCT and after loading the 93 tune (for example), I can make changes to that tune for CAI, tire height, rear gears, ect.
It will copy the stock tune to the tuner and right the new tune over your car's chip. It's best to sync the tuner with a computer and backup the stock tune.
If you get a custom tune from someone, it will take the place of the one of the original tune slots, I think it only holds 3 different ones in addition to the saved stock oem tune.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that's the gist of it. My used one I have is an SCT xcalibrator 2. When I changed it to my 05, it said it had four left. It holds three tunes, plus original oem backup. Bama has already said through AM I get lifetime tunes for $150. If you actually select the three tunes for $150, there is an add on for lifetime tunes for $0.00 so I got CAI and tuner for $100 + $150 for lifetime tunes. $250, not a bad deal. Course I still have to buy one for the 04. Lol never ends does it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT