HID's wont come on? Help. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
HID's wont come on? Help.

So I got new HID's a few weeks ago and now they are acting up. I have them professionally installed. The headlights won't come on with the switch.. But web you leave the light switch in the "on" position, and turn your "brights" on and back off, they will come on. Bad switch? Wiring? Come on somebody help?!!
Graham1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1992 View Post
So I got new HID's a few weeks ago and now they are acting up. I have them professionally installed. The headlights won't come on with the switch.. But web you leave the light switch in the "on" position, and turn your "brights" on and back off, they will come on. Bad switch? Wiring? Come on somebody help?!!
What brand and sometimes turning them on and off starts them up

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

And how do you have HIDs professionally installed? It's a matter of changing a light bulb? Lol

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yes turn them off and on my wifes car does that sometime. If not check your fuses and all connections.
Kcstunna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Usually if its professionally installed than u can take it back and tell them to fix the issue
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Id recommend installing them yourself. First because there easy to install and plus if anythings wrong with them you could find the problem yourself and you know where everythins at.

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

It sounds like a connection problem, maybe take to the place who put them and have them check it or you could do it by removing the cluster of the switch and checking wiring. It also maybe the positive wire or negative wire arent sufficiently tightened or over tightened. Usually a problem like that happens if negative is too tight. Try that out maybe it'll help
BlackSmoke02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
What brand and sometimes turning them on and off starts them up

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

And how do you have HIDs professionally installed? It's a matter of changing a light bulb? Lol
There is no such thing as an HID bulb. REAL HIDs have ballasts. They have to be installed. Stangmods.com has plug and play kits. a Blue bulb is not an HID system.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post

There is no such thing as an HID bulb. REAL HIDs have ballasts. They have to be installed. Stangmods.com has plug and play kits. a Blue bulb is not an HID system.
Yes thank you I know, but putting in an hid kit is as easy as changing a bulb. If you don't agree then I'm sorry. Stay in school

Old 03-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Looks like changing a bulb too me...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-448171192.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	498.8 KB
ID:	94119  

Old 03-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Yes we get it hid kits are easy to put in...now stop bickering over it. Lets just help op out. Ok so first off what brand? Id double check how they connected the harness to the ballasts...a loose power or ground sounds like the culprit

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
Yes we get it hid kits are easy to put in...now stop bickering over it. Lets just help op out. Ok so first off what brand? Id double check how they connected the harness to the ballasts...a loose power or ground sounds like the culprit
Likely a crappy ballast, newer cars normally don't encounter grounding problems, but cheaper ballast always act up, mine the other day. The driver side didn't light up, turned them on and off real quick and it worked. Sounds to me like he has the wires mixed up or bad ballast

Old 03-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
AMEN.........most of them are tinted halogen bulbs or XENON.
Davo_281GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Looks like changing a bulb too me...
And adding ballasts. Buying a bulb is NOT HID. Additionally if you don't buy plug and play kits, then you have to wire and splice. Imncnfused if you're confused what an HID kit looks like. An HID kit is not just 2 bulbs.

As for the OPs comment, you're correct. Even my GTIs OEM lights have to be switched on and off sometimes.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 03-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I had them professionally installed because I have a DG customs grille and the fog lights behind the grille had to be aligned and had the whole driver side painted... Jeez you guys are hostile!? I shoulda cleared that up lol but yeah I hate it. It makes it feel cheap. I got them from xenonhidkit.com or something. Not the cheap way out.. Fuses were brought up. Which fuse is it? (Off the top of your head) ((don't get hostile))
Old 03-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I had them professionally installed because I have a DG customs grille and the fog lights behind the grille had to be aligned and had the whole driver side painted... Jeez you guys are hostile!? I shoulda cleared that up lol but yeah I hate it. It makes it feel cheap. I got them from xenonhidkit.com or something. Not the cheap way out.. Fuses were brought up. Which fuse is it? (Off the top of your head) ((don't get hostile))
No one is hostile lol. Me and handhold get along just fine so we debate openly lol. We're never arguing. Unless you meant someone else. But yeah, it's inherent in the hid tech

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

Quote:

No one is hostile lol. Me and handhold get along just fine so we debate openly lol. We're never arguing. Unless you meant someone else. But yeah, it's inherent in the hid tech
Basol I meant. Lol.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 03-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I know what an hid kit is, I'm stating its a easy as a bulb change, hooking up the ballast is even easier..... Sorry if you can't detect sarcasm over the internut,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3924606045.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	578.4 KB
ID:	94161  

Old 03-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know what an hid kit is, I'm stating its a easy as a bulb change, hooking up the ballast is even easier..... Sorry if you can't detect sarcasm over the internut,
But hooking up an HID kit, painting a whole side of a f*$@ing car, and putting foglights back in? No sir. I'm not a "I can do anything I want" kinda guy. If somebody else can do it better, ill me them do it. Statement doesn't really need explanation. And if you weren't being sarcastic before, you are now. Chill beans muh man. Just asking questions?..
Old 03-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
actually to me anything from xenonhidkit.com is a cheap kit...quality i mean. they just don't tend to have the longevity of other brands on market like vvme or ddm...did you install an error eliminator (or have the shop install one)...some newer cars do need them to keep the turn on and off issue from happening..or even a relay?

Old 03-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

actually to me anything from xenonhidkit.com is a cheap kit...quality i mean. they just don't tend to have the longevity of other brands on market like vvme or ddm...did you install an error eliminator (or have the shop install one)...some newer cars do need them to keep the turn on and off issue from happening..or even a relay?
Shoot man I didn't know it was this much trouble lol I threw down a couple hundred bucks on them. I didn't know there was a big difference. But no man unless it came with the kit, it wasn't installed. A fuse is not a big issue, unplug and plug in. Cuz GOD KNOWS I can't put an HID kit in by myself, way too hard shew.. (hehe).
Old 03-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Shoot man I didn't know it was this much trouble lol I threw down a couple hundred bucks on them. I didn't know there was a big difference. But no man unless it came with the kit, it wasn't installed. A fuse is not a big issue, unplug and plug in. Cuz GOD KNOWS I can't put an HID kit in by myself, way too hard shew.. (hehe).
well if you ever need another set try here...they might surprise you price wise lol

DDM Tuning 35W and 55W HID Kits

but hopefully a cheap fix will have you taken care of...add in a relay and see if that helps

Old 03-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

You don't have to paint a side of a car to install HIDs, and secondly ever single kit you buy is likely cheap and made in china regardless of what you spent, I've had good luck with xentec, some haven't tho, same with ddm

If you'd like I can take pics for you of the "install" so you can go take a look at yours and maybe find out what's wrong

Old 03-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You don't have to paint a side of a car to install HIDs, and secondly ever single kit you buy is likely cheap and made in china regardless of what you spent, I've had good luck with xentec, some haven't tho, same with ddm

If you'd like I can take pics for you of the "install" so you can go take a look at yours and maybe find out what's wrong
No your fine. I don't think I like you very much. Just saying. I am not some little turf who throws his money around. So stop acting smart about me "painting my car to install HIDs" because it's obvious that's not the reason I did it BaSohol.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Really??? You don't like me?? I told you a quick fix to a common problem people have with HIDs and then I inquire about the professional install. Then I get people trying to explain to me what an hid kit is.

Get real all I offered was help

Old 03-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

no more bickering...i've warned before...anymore and it'll go further then warnings

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT