oil drain plug?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

oil drain plug??

Today I changed my oil. Before that I drove the car to the auto part store because I couldn't find my oil catch pan. Drove home jacked the car up and proceeded to change the oil. When I got down to the plug I couldn't get it off to save my life! I had to slowly back if off and the tighten to make sure I wouldn't break it off. After doing that for about 10 minutes the last 4 threads of the bolt were able to come off by hand. My question is what would make that bolt so hard to get off? And when I got the bolt off all the threads were messed up from me forcing the bolt out. Is there a more serious problem?
S197Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Did you see any flattened threads? Maybe it was crossthreaded and straightened out near the end.
Wolverine0587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine0587 View Post
Did you see any flattened threads? Maybe it was crossthreaded and straightened out near the end.
+50.

Great answer.
If that is what it is, get a new bolt and a tap and clean the threads up where your drain plug goes.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
When we changed our minivan's oil before, that bolt would seriously not come off. We ended up stripping the bolt after 10-15 minutes and using vice grips with a breaker bar to get it off... Time before that we got it changed at the shop, they put too much oil in it so it sputtered and must have used an impact wrench at full torque to put it on.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I have trouble trusting most oil change places because they have the tendency to hire gorillas to drain the oil then they screw up the plug.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well I talked to my buddy who works at NTB and he said that happens quite a bit on Ford modular engines. So I'm not going to worry too much about it. I thought that maybe my bearings or pistons were shaving and the shavings clogged up the plug. But there were no shavings on the magnet. So it is most likely my fault from over tightening the drain plug last time.
S197Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by S197Miller View Post
Well I talked to my buddy who works at NTB and he said that happens quite a bit on Ford modular engines. So I'm not going to worry too much about it. I thought that maybe my bearings or pistons were shaving and the shavings clogged up the plug. But there were no shavings on the magnet. So it is most likely my fault from over tightening the drain plug last time.
Gutentight is the technical term haha!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine0587 View Post
I have trouble trusting most oil change places because they have the tendency to hire gorillas to drain the oil then they screw up the plug.
LOL!

I'm getting ready to change mine soon. I propped it up last night to take a look at it just in case. It's leaking a little oil but the plug seemed ok.
fury88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
When I did my first oil change on my S197 it would not come off without serious effort in the same way you described. The threads were just fine. Screws in and out just find now.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Ive broken one off (turning it the wrong way.... ) and had to have it backed out, now I am as careful as I can be and never over tighten it (snug is all you need)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT