Clutch issues... Maybe? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
Clutch issues... Maybe?

So I might have an issue with my clutch... Here's a few things I noticed, and some contradict the others at determining the condition of my clutch:

1. Starting in first from a stop I can't crawl forward by riding the clutch, it will only big the engine unless I give it gas.

2. In reverse I can ride the clutch very easily to crawl (as a matter of fact it goes almost too fast to steer if I'm all the way off the clutch)

3. If I put it in too high of gear while going up a steep hill it will bog the engine and will not slip

4. Sometimes it locks me out of first gear. I can get back in by running it through 2nd and 3rd or disengaging and reengaging the clutch (sometimes).

5. I tried to floor my car the other day once the clutch was engaged fully and after going a little bit the engine just revved up. It was really wet though so I'm not sure if it was clutch slippage or tire spin; I'm waiting for a dry day to retry it.

Any ideas on what all of this means? It seems like some stuff would make me think the clutch is ok and other stuff would make me believe otherwise. As always any help is greatly appreciated, as I can't afford an unnecessary repair at this point.
Combatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Ummmm from what you just said.....

I'm going to say your clutch is fine

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
Ummmm from what you just said.....

I'm going to say your clutch is fine
Sounds like to me too.

It will not go into first if you are at much more than a roll. If when you let it out, it is grabbing good, and is not making any noise, it sounds like it is in good shape.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatman View Post
So I might have an issue with my clutch... Here's a few things I noticed, and some contradict the others at determining the condition of my clutch:

1. Starting in first from a stop I can't crawl forward by riding the clutch, it will only big the engine unless I give it gas.

2. In reverse I can ride the clutch very easily to crawl (as a matter of fact it goes almost too fast to steer if I'm all the way off the clutch)

3. If I put it in too high of gear while going up a steep hill it will bog the engine and will not slip

4. Sometimes it locks me out of first gear. I can get back in by running it through 2nd and 3rd or disengaging and reengaging the clutch (sometimes).

5. I tried to floor my car the other day once the clutch was engaged fully and after going a little bit the engine just revved up. It was really wet though so I'm not sure if it was clutch slippage or tire spin; I'm waiting for a dry day to retry it.

Any ideas on what all of this means? It seems like some stuff would make me think the clutch is ok and other stuff would make me believe otherwise. As always any help is greatly appreciated, as I can't afford an unnecessary repair at this point.

1. Sounds normal if your have factory gears and low idle

2. Makes sense reverse is a lower gear

3. That's good, means your clutch still has holding power

4. If your rolling you should never try to go into first, and if your stopped, sorry that's just how crappy the trans is

5. Really??? Lol I assume u were spinning the tires

Old 03-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I was talking going into first at a stop.

And I was hoping I was spinning the tires, but the thing was there wasn't the typical "jerk" of spinning tires and my passenger said it didn't feel like the tires were spinning to him and I agreed.

Overall I was thinking its alright, but it's different than any clutch I've driven before, and wanted to check with some more experienced people to gauge your guy's opinions.

Thanks guys and/or gals!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Go at a low speed like 20ish and put it into 5th, then stab the gas real fast, if the RPMs shoot up your clutch is slipping

Old 03-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Go at a low speed like 20ish and put it into 5th, then stab the gas real fast, if the RPMs shoot up your clutch is slipping
+1
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

BeachMonkey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well I tested it again, I guess it must have been tire spin, thankfully. Thanks for the help guys!

So the first gear lockout is just part of the the car?

Also I can't find a hurst shifter for the v6, does one exists?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

The lockout is normal. It keeps you from downshifting to 1st at high speeds. It basically keeps you from tearing your car up. I usually downshift when stopping as not to be hard on the breaks but I don't get first until I'm at a dead stop.

Idk about the shifter, some of the other guys might know.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Glad it wasn't your clutch though.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I figured lock out would be normal while moving, but mine locks me out while at a complete stop, and to get in I have to shift through other gears or it just won't go in, sometimes I get stuck at green lights because of it.

Also I just realized I posted in the gt forum, meant to post in the v6 forum haha oh well, you guys have been great anyway.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

If you go from reverse to first do you have any problems?

What your talkin about now is not normal. There are some guys on here a lot more skilled than I at trannys. Do you downshift when stopping?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

If I go from second to first sometimes that makes it work, never tried reverse. And no I don't downshift when coming to a complete stop, I usually just throw it in neutral from whatever gear I ended in, I didn't think it made a difference.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Try that, there may be something with the synchronizes. I could be wrong, like I say, I'm no tranny man. But downshift through the gears and see if you still have the problem.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I just had I NEW trans put in... NEW AS IN OFF THE SHELF! Brand spanking NEW. And sometimes I have a little trouble getting into first and a light or leaving my parking lot but it's only when it's cold outside

Old 03-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just had I NEW trans put in... NEW AS IN OFF THE SHELF! Brand spanking NEW. And sometimes I have a little trouble getting into first and a light or leaving my parking lot but it's only when it's cold outside
Alright that might explain it too, I'm in South Dakota, the warmest it's been since I got the car was about 36 and that was a rare day.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Alright that might explain it too, I'm in South Dakota, the warmest it's been since I got the car was about 36 and that was a rare day.
Ya let it warm up and see if it helps and changing the fluid would help, these are just really notchy crappy trans

Old 03-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Alright, the dealer I got it from changed the fluid the week after I bought it cause I thought it was notchy, but after they changed it I almost think it got worse, since they did it for free I'm not sure they had any motivation to put in good fluid so I think I might put some mobile 1 synthetic ATF.I realize this is the wrong place to ask, but does anyone know how much fluid the v6 takes? I heard ford revised the amount of fluid?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I just took mine in for a similar issue and it came out clean. I was kind of surprised but the mechanic said it was all good.
fury88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Ya it's the nature of the trans, and check your owners manual should be listed in there. The revised amount was for the 01-04 I believe

Old 03-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Ah alright.

Well I changed the fluid, but I think I might have over filled it, as its supposed to be flush with the fill hole when the car is level, and mine was flush when it was on ramps (so maybe .5qrt too much?) is this something I should be worried about?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ah alright.

Well I changed the fluid, but I think I might have over filled it, as its supposed to be flush with the fill hole when the car is level, and mine was flush when it was on ramps (so maybe .5qrt too much?) is this something I should be worried about?
No you should be fine, if anything I think you'd be a little low then over filled

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT