Better speakers? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Better speakers?

I have an 05 GT with the shaker 500 and its just horrible. It's not THAT bad but compared to the Bose surround system in my silverado it just sounds like ****... I know its unfair comparing them because the mustang NEW was around 27k right? And the silverado was close to $50,000 (I bought both of them used so I payed way less)

Is there a good set of aftermarket speakers that are decent or would I need to upgrade more than just speakers?

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
What the hell are you talking about? I think my 2007 shaker 500 sounds great, loud, clear and full of bass.

But I here the Shelby kickers for the door are an upgrade

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
the shaker 500 is crap, after building systems and being around audio for a few years teaches you things. for the average listener the shaker is okay and plenty, but if you're looking for something more, something crisper and louder than aftermarket is the way to go. I honestly would run new coaxial 6x8's in all four locations with a nice double din unit. which is what I plan to do come summer and will do a write up on it as well for fellow pony members.
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

BeachMonkey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I have the Shaker 1000 and I think it sounds like doggy doo. I've built custom systems in all my cars and I can't believe Ford markets this system as an upgrade. The bass is beyond horrible especially for two 10" subs. The midrange and high level tones are just flat and full of distortion. I too am planning a complete makeover this summer just like BeachMonkey.
Filf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filf View Post
I have the Shaker 1000 and I think it sounds like doggy doo. I've built custom systems in all my cars and I can't believe Ford markets this system as an upgrade. The bass is beyond horrible especially for two 10" subs. The midrange and high level tones are just flat and full of distortion. I too am planning a complete makeover this summer just like BeachMonkey.
+1

I am taking it all out and starting from scratch and going with a double din as a start. any plans for yours yet?
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #6

Region: Louisiana
I have a pioneer double din unit with 4 morel brand speakers.. sounds pretty good considering I have no subs.

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

I have a pioneer double din unit with 4 morel speakers to replace the stock speakers and mine sounds really good. I don't have any subs but that is soon to come!!
bradz92886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMonkey100 View Post
+1

I am taking it all out and starting from scratch and going with a double din as a start. any plans for yours yet?
Double DIN headunit and plan to replace all the speakers except for the two 10"s in the trunk. I don't need that much bass but I do like crystal clear mids and highs. I only use the car on nights and weekends so its pretty low on the priority list after I add some power mods.
Filf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

That would be awesome I have a nice touch screen unit that sounded great in my other cars. The shaker is like you said ok but it just seems buzzy at anything over low volume.

I would take it to an audio shop but I'm afraid of getting ripped off or sold something I don't need. I know NOTHING about this stuff

Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filf View Post
Double DIN headunit and plan to replace all the speakers except for the two 10"s in the trunk. I don't need that much bass but I do like crystal clear mids and highs. I only use the car on nights and weekends so its pretty low on the priority list after I add some power mods.
I like the idea, I plan to do the same with the double din deck and speakers. haven't decided whether going coaxial since its cheaper or component yet. I am taking the 8" subs out of the doors and going to seal it off. I am in the midst now of building a box for a ported single 12" in the trunk.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill1992 View Post
That would be awesome I have a nice touch screen unit that sounded great in my other cars. The shaker is like you said ok but it just seems buzzy at anything over low volume.

I would take it to an audio shop but I'm afraid of getting ripped off or sold something I don't need. I know NOTHING about this stuff
I never have taken mine to a shop to get any audio stuff done, I do have a great friend that runs one that I do get products off of though and hang out.

It really isn't that hard to do alone just research and get what you want in line first and post it here and I'm sure someone will reply back with opinions or advice.

For the money spent and some great mids and highs that are better than stock you can't beat the Kenwood Excelon 6x8 coaxials. I am seriously debating putting these in mine, they are excellent I had them in previous friends builds and came out great. Just a suggestion though!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
What the hell are you talking about? I think my 2007 shaker 500 sounds great, loud, clear and full of bass.

But I here the Shelby kickers for the door are an upgrade
It really doesn't. It is garbage. You're just satisfied by how it sounds but it is an an inferior system.

JGil, the difference is in the head unit. The rest is quality. I went to an AVIC X930BT and the bass almost tripled, cleaner, louder. All the speakers were amplified accordingly. The pioneer has a FULL EQ in it with individual frequencies making it much easier to fine tune. The head unit ALONE made the car sound like I replaced EVERY SPEAKER and sub.

If you were close enough I'd show you. NO ONE initially thinks it's OEM speakers. The door subs are more than sufficient with an appropriate head unit.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Why is everyone comparing a stock system to a built one???? That's not even close to fair or accurate

Old 03-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Why is everyone comparing a stock system to a built one???? That's not even close to fair or accurate
It is absolutely fair. A stock Bose sounds significantly better.

It is absolutely fair because what are you going to upgrade with? Other cars OEM speakers? No, you'd upgrade to aftermarket ones.

We don't buy dual exhaust for Camaros for our cars, we buy aftermarket.

Shaker has to be one of the worst OEM sounding "Premium audio" system of any car. My GTI (minus the subs) sound significantly better with no amplification on the base audio option.

A shaker 500 sounds better than one without, but it doesn't come to par with any other OEM premium option.

The Bose in my old RX8 and 2000 Maxima all sounded worlds better. Harmon Kardon and O&F systems really shine, but of course are generally found in higher end cars.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 03-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yea the Bose in my LTZ silverado sounds AMAZING. It's so crisp and clear.

My touch screen unit in my stang actually made the audio sound worse. I'm taking it out this weekend and giving it to my mom so she can use the GPS lol

Old 03-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea the Bose in my LTZ silverado sounds AMAZING. It's so crisp and clear.

My touch screen unit in my stang actually made the audio sound worse. I'm taking it out this weekend and giving it to my mom so she can use the GPS lol
My Pioneer unit, and my Pioneer APP Radio really brought it all to life and crystal clear sound.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 03-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

A nice deck will bring them to life but I plan to skip that all together with a double din, 4 channel amp, and new speakers. Then my mono channel for the subwoofer.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
My Pioneer unit, and my Pioneer APP Radio really brought it all to life and crystal clear sound.
A lot of people look down on pioneer because it is relatively cheap compared to some of your other big brands out there, such as kenwood or Clarion. But Pioneer has great quality and they make excellent head units. My wife had a Kenwood audio package in her 07 Tiburon, But it sounded like crap compared to My pioneer set up with stock speakers, that I had in my 03 Sentra Spec-V.
Davo_281GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Cut that shaker out and put Memphis in there great for the price I run them it all my Stang
Spaceghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
I believe changing your speakers first would be a excellant start. I changed my stock speakers to the Shelby GT Speakers, which are Kicker speakers. The Shelby 8" subs and Shelby 6X8" in the front doors. I replaced the Rear 6X8 with JL 6X8. My Subwoofer in the Trunk is a JL 10". My system is still a Shaker 500, it sounds fine, I know aftermarket will sound better, but no aftermarket stereo holds 6 cd's in it, soo I'm not in a big rush to replace it. I do feel that a change in your speakers will improve your sound very much, and it might just be good enough for you.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yea but the shaker CD players are known to have tons of issues mine only worked half the time

Old 03-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea but the shaker CD players are known to have tons of issues mine only worked half the time
What's a CD?

Old 03-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
What's a CD?
CamaroDikhead

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post

CamaroDikhead
Hahaha

Custom Dyno Tune By B&D Racing
340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Stang23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT