One more exhaust thread... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
One more exhaust thread...

I'm actually pretty sure I've made my mind up now. Just wanted to get opinions and want to know if the videos do this setup justice. I want borla stingers, magnaflow catted x pipe and bbk tuned shorty headers. I'm not going to do off road because its my daily and I want to pass emissions.... Unless you guys know of a way to pass emissions without cats. Lol does this setup sound good in real life? The videos sound good. I want loud, deep, and throaty... Get your minds out if the gutter...
eouellette18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I'm in Cali so i have to worry about smog also... What i'm going to do is get an o/r prochamber and just have it bolted on and keep the stock midpipe, that way when it comes time for smog i just put it on jack stands and 30 minutes later have the stock midpipe back on and ready for smog.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yes like soccer said its preety easy to take off the midpipe with basic tools. Off road will sound louder also.
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
So if you want to stay legal with your mid pipe and cats I would perhaps suggest this alternative.

Get a cut and clamp x pipe to retain the factory cats. While high flow cats will be louder they may not pass emissions the same.

Also other thank looks, the BBK shorties while improving sound and looks won't yield much in performance.

The Borlas alone are deep just not All that loud. If you want throaty and load look into the FR500 axle backs from FRPP. They are louder and throaty even on the stock setup.
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler Go: FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
GTRob504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by eouellette18 View Post
I'm actually pretty sure I've made my mind up now. Just wanted to get opinions and want to know if the videos do this setup justice. I want borla stingers, magnaflow catted x pipe and bbk tuned shorty headers. I'm not going to do off road because its my daily and I want to pass emissions.... Unless you guys know of a way to pass emissions without cats. Lol does this setup sound good in real life? The videos sound good. I want loud, deep, and throaty... Get your minds out if the gutter...
You could always swap out the catless for catted during that once a year period.

Defoulers with LONG wells can help pass a catless car but it is hit or miss one an engine pushing so much exhaust.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I still want to know if its loud. Will people here the car coming from a while away? I'm looking for that deep throaty exhaust. I looked into the fr500 and it was too raspy and high pitched to me. Maybe it was the video. The borla has the right tone, just still want it to be loud. Not super annoying loud, but one where people can hear me coming from a ways away, still being deep throaty with a bit of echoing and no trumpeting.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Should sound pretty awesome! One thing though with the shorty headers, I put shorties on my old fox body to replace the factory manifolds and I hardly noticed a difference in sound or performance. Almost wasn't even worth the effort it took to put them on. Granted the old pushrod 5.0's had tubular shorty headers from the factory and our 3v's have manifolds, it still may not be worth the expense and headache for the minimal gain you will get in the sound and seat of the pants dept.

Also, I know in CA you have to have 4 cats on your midpipe for it to pass emissions, so you may want to check that your midpipe wills till pass emissions with only 2 cats.

Not trying to turn you away from anything you plan on doing; I think your setup will sound great. Just want to give you a heads up on things that I know some people have had issues with!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I passed with full bolt ons. Had longtubes and Catted x and it passed. But I did have to throw the stock intake back on. Otherwise it wouldn't have passed.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Also shorties are a waste. Longtubes or nothing.

Custom Dyno Tune By B&D Racing
340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Stang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I think I'm going to go with pypes long tubes and shorty x and borla stingers. If I need to ill buy cats down the road and install them. Anyone think there will be a lot if trumpeting with this?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think I'm going to go with pypes long tubes and shorty x and borla stingers. If I need to ill buy cats down the road and install them. Anyone think there will be a lot if trumpeting with this?
Ya I have the pypes LT's and I like them. You'll probably get a little bit of trumpeting but not too bad

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

You know what the more videos of the fr500s I listen to the more I like them. You think these with an x pipe would sound good?

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 PM ----------

Quote:
You know what the more videos of the fr500s I listen to the more I like them. You think these with an x pipe would sound good?
Or h pipe... Which ever will make it deeper.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

If you want deeper then go h pipe. An h pipe with any axle back is always going to be slightly deeper than an x pipe. X pipes are a little more high pitched and louder. H pipes are deeper and a hair quieter but not much.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

My setup is pypes LT's with offroad h pipe and flowmasters. It screams and has a deep tone.

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 03-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks!
No problem!

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 03-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry, one more question... What about a pro chamber? And deeper? Lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust