notorious door peeling? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
notorious door peeling?

Any tricks for fixing these door panels? Drivers door started peeling and its heartbreaking
BlacknRed05gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Door panels are a common issue for our vehicles. Best thing you can do is take it to a professional auto upholster. I had mine done... both doors repaired for $100. Good as new. They peel off the material, remove the old foam material and re-glue.
bluefirstgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
No need to spend that much money to fix it, I did it myself and looks better than before and saved a LOT of money. I followed instructions from a forum thread that worked much better than I expected. The main thing you need is some contact cement and a few brushes to apply it with. If I remember correctly, the contact cement was $5 and the brushes were $3. Just be sure you're over 18, I got in an argument with the lady last year because they can't sell them to minors. So stupid.

Here is the link. http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...gging-fix.html

In case you need first hand proof that it works, here are some pictures!

In fact, I believe I did a much better job than they did at the factory. They had air bubbles before, not anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3061875401.png
Views:	164
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	96503   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2735582456.png
Views:	162
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	96504  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3473622233.png
Views:	146
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	96505  

Upcoming: GT500 Supercharger (Department of Boost), 19" Koko Kuture Sardinia-5 Wheels, etc.
GT Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Gone View Post
No need to spend that much money to fix it, I did it myself and looks better than before and saved a LOT of money. I followed instructions from a forum thread that worked much better than I expected. The main thing you need is some contact cement and a few brushes to apply it with. If I remember correctly, the contact cement was $5 and the brushes were $3. Just be sure you're over 18, I got in an argument with the lady last year because they can't sell them to minors. So stupid.

Here is the link. http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...gging-fix.html

In case you need first hand proof that it works, here are some pictures!

In fact, I believe I did a much better job than they did at the factory. They had air bubbles before, not anymore.
They look great!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ya if you want to save some cash it's not that hard to do by yourself. I have the same problem. Just haven't got around to it. Lol

Custom Dyno Tune By B&D Racing
340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Stang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknRed05gt View Post
They look great!
Thanks! Just be careful when putting it back on, once it sticks, it STICKS. I did the driver side well, but got cocky with the passenger side and ended up with a big bad bubble. I pushed my foot against it for 30 minutes straight and it didnt budge. Luckily, I did it in the cold, and somehow the next day when it was really hot, the bubbles were gone and it's been as perfect as the driver's side since! Just be cautious of the temperature as you do it.

I'd just try to get it done as soon as possible. It drove me insane when I was going to a car show in Biloxi. xD

Upcoming: GT500 Supercharger (Department of Boost), 19" Koko Kuture Sardinia-5 Wheels, etc.
GT Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Gone View Post

Thanks! Just be careful when putting it back on, once it sticks, it STICKS. I did the driver side well, but got cocky with the passenger side and ended up with a big bad bubble. I pushed my foot against it for 30 minutes straight and it didnt budge. Luckily, I did it in the cold, and somehow the next day when it was really hot, the bubbles were gone and it's been as perfect as the driver's side since! Just be cautious of the temperature as you do it.

I'd just try to get it done as soon as possible. It drove me insane when I was going to a car show in Biloxi. xD
It just started to peel and im ready to go crazy
Old 03-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Borii
Contact cement IS what upholsters use. Great tip. Contact cement hardens further and further as it gets old. The problem is the foam slices itself off in layers. If you look at the leather when it peels, you will see the back has plenty of foam on it. Contact cement seeps through the perforation/holes in the foam and works best but it may come apart again but that may be many years down the road. Beats a constant gluing every 3 weeks

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT