Eng. Tune up time! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Eng. Tune up time!

Fellow Mustang enthusiasts, as the weather warms up the time comes near to start playing with my 07 GT. And now that it's at 66K, I want to do a tune-up.....

Problem: From what I have been looking up, the spark plugs are almost guaranteed to break off. Has anyone of you had problems with taking them out yourselves? At 66K, do you think I'll need to purchase the spark plug removing kit? I am NOT looking forward to a plug break

Which is better?: I'm looking into either MSD or ACCEL coils and a better spark plug, what do you guys think about MSD or ACCEL??
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Plugs are NOT guaranteed to break off at that mileage...... As long as you follow the proper procedure. Then forget the coil packs you don't need them, also change the fuel filter and clean the throttle body and you should be good

Also changing the trans fluid is a good idea

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
Plugs are NOT guaranteed to break off at that mileage...... As long as you follow the proper procedure. Then forget the coil packs you don't need them, also change the fuel filter and clean the throttle body and you should be good

Also changing the trans fluid is a good idea
Yes, trans fluid is often overlooked because manual cars normally do not need tranny fluid changes. It is best to do it at some point but you can literally drive a manual into the ground USUALLY forever but without cars, the manual OEM fluid is automatic transmission fluid. So definitely change it. Very easy.

The plugs, I did a 30+ hour soak and bought a breaker bar then palm bumped it until they broke lose. Painless.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
Yes, trans fluid is often overlooked because manual cars normally do not need tranny fluid changes. It is best to do it at some point but you can literally drive a manual into the ground USUALLY forever but without cars, the manual OEM fluid is automatic transmission fluid. So definitely change it. Very easy.

The plugs, I did a 30+ hour soak and bought a breaker bar then palm bumped it until they broke lose. Painless.

What did you soak the plugs in exactly? I'm at about 70k myself may be time for a tune up as well.
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 610swolf View Post
What did you soak the plugs in exactly? I'm at about 70k myself may be time for a tune up as well.
The gray can of WD40 penetrant.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 03-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Try liquid wrench too.
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
You need a carb cleaner or some other penetrant that will dissolve the carbon on the plug.
Filf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filf View Post
You need a carb cleaner or some other penetrant that will dissolve the carbon on the plug.
I personally love break cleaner.
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the input, Gents! I can't believe I nearly forgot about the fuel filter! Good catch Basohol!! But, why not new coils?! If it will help with providing more umph to the spark, I say why not! Right?!
Old 03-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsbain76 View Post
Thanks for the input, Gents! I can't believe I nearly forgot about the fuel filter! Good catch Basohol!! But, why not new coils?! If it will help with providing more umph to the spark, I say why not! Right?!
Because coils are generally good for the life if the car. They provide practically no benefit for a high price.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 03-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Pb blaster and inforce are the best penetrating oils I've ever used. Never seen a gray can of wd 40 where do you get it?
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
Because coils are generally good for the life if the car. They provide practically no benefit for a high price.
I see. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ya Coil Packs are a lot different from plug wires, essentially the same but COPs are more durable.

The reason why you'd replace wires more often is because you have more conducting area to fail, the wires run from one point then travel up to 2 feet along the motor and are exposed to more heat and vibration. Over time the insulation can wear and electricity will always take the easier route so you could have a misfire or sputter under acceleration or with all the bends in the wire and length, the core can get cracks in it raising the resistance of the wire and causing poor engine performance

With COPs it's one straights shot and the wire is insulated with a boot so you don't easily get sorted out or cracks in the core because its a straight

Old 03-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ya Coil Packs are a lot different from plug wires, essentially the same but COPs are more durable.

The reason why you'd replace wires more often is because you have more conducting area to fail, the wires run from one point then travel up to 2 feet along the motor and are exposed to more heat and vibration. Over time the insulation can wear and electricity will always take the easier route so you could have a misfire or sputter under acceleration or with all the bends in the wire and length, the core can get cracks in it raising the resistance of the wire and causing poor engine performance

With COPs it's one straights shot and the wire is insulated with a boot so you don't easily get sorted out or cracks in the core because its a straight
Hmmm...good knowledge. So, what is making my engine sputter at low gear when trying to enter the parkway?
Old 03-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hmmm...good knowledge. So, what is making my engine sputter at low gear when trying to enter the parkway?
Bad fuel filter
Bad spark plugs
Dirty throttle body
Dirty MAF sensor
Dirty air filter
Not giving it enough gas or letting the clutch out to soon
Or even maybe a bad coil but they tend to go completely out not a little bit

Seeing how everything is cheap, well besides the spark plugs, it's good to start with all those before throwing 200+ dollars at the COPs that you likely don't need

Old 03-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Bad fuel filter
Bad spark plugs
Dirty throttle body
Dirty MAF sensor
Dirty air filter
Not giving it enough gas or letting the clutch out to soon
Or even maybe a bad coil but they tend to go completely out not a little bit

Seeing how everything is cheap, well besides the spark plugs, it's good to start with all those before throwing 200+ dollars at the COPs that you likely don't need
Oh, Ok. Easy fixes. Might as well service all mentioned above once I do the tune up! Again, thanks a lot for your help!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT