Need help! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Need help!

So I just replaced my throttle body with an oem replacement because mine would bounce off 400-1000 rpm during idle, especially when the ac was on. I tried having it relearn its idle and it helped a little, but I replaced it anyway. It still bounces, but not as much, and its only right before I come to a complete stop. Once it's stopped, it doesn't really bounce anymore. Also, I have a 93 tune from bama, and it doesn't really feel as powerful with the new throttle body. Maybe it's me, but I'm going to try and put it back to stock settings to see if the 93 tune is in fact more powerful than the stock tune with the new throttle body. Is the new throttle body breaking in? What should I do?
eouellette18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Sounds like a dirty MAF sensor, clean it with special MAF cleaner

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Try cleaning the MAF and you also need to follow the relearning process. I had the same issues when my battery died and it took me a few days to get a replacement so it sat dead for a few days. The idle would bounce all over each time I pushed in the clutch and it idled really high when it was cold. I followed the relearning process (I'm trying to find the website for it but am having trouble) but that solved all of my issues.
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by eouellette18 View Post
So I just replaced my throttle body with an oem replacement because mine would bounce off 400-1000 rpm during idle, especially when the ac was on. I tried having it relearn its idle and it helped a little, but I replaced it anyway. It still bounces, but not as much, and its only right before I come to a complete stop. Once it's stopped, it doesn't really bounce anymore. Also, I have a 93 tune from bama, and it doesn't really feel as powerful with the new throttle body. Maybe it's me, but I'm going to try and put it back to stock settings to see if the 93 tune is in fact more powerful than the stock tune with the new throttle body. Is the new throttle body breaking in? What should I do?
I just had this EXACT issue with my TB install. It would go away once it came to a complete stop. Even inching would surge idle.

It is not really any dirty anything, it is the values and parameters in the iat within the tune.

My tuner immediately changed them without the car learning any idle settings. With 0 miles ran under a battery reset it behaved normal again.

Bama, has been losing a little edge in their customer service thoroughness.

In my most recent bama file, I noticed there were not some options I needed in the tune request sheet, so I emailed them to verify they read my "comment/notes section" and they emailed me back saying they verified all my requests were satisfied. Which was a complete lie because one of the request was a 7k limiter and when I received the tune it was 6400.

Aftermarket TB have a lot of initial issues that can be tuned out within seconds from a knowledgeable tuner.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
eouellette18,

The new stock TB should run perfectly right from the get-go, there isn't any kind of break in period. However, it sounds like the MAF sensor isn't reading completely accurate. Air turbulence or more common a dirty MAF sensor will cause a slight surge in the tune when the car is in motion, like you're experiencing.

Pick up some MAF cleaner from your local Auto Parts Store and give it a thorough cleaning. See if that helps and get back to me!

Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
I just had this EXACT issue with my TB install. It would go away once it came to a complete stop. Even inching would surge idle.

It is not really any dirty anything, it is the values and parameters in the iat within the tune.

My tuner immediately changed them without the car learning any idle settings. With 0 miles ran under a battery reset it behaved normal again.

Bama, has been losing a little edge in their customer service thoroughness.

In my most recent bama file, I noticed there were not some options I needed in the tune request sheet, so I emailed them to verify they read my "comment/notes section" and they emailed me back saying they verified all my requests were satisfied. Which was a complete lie because one of the request was a 7k limiter and when I received the tune it was 6400.

Aftermarket TB have a lot of initial issues that can be tuned out within seconds from a knowledgeable tuner.
I'm sorry you weren't happy with our Bama Team's customer service! They're usually great with writing custom tunes that have additional requests to them. However, clearly someone forgot or missed the new rev limiter request for your particular case.

Please let me know if you're interested giving us a shot to make up for things, and send some updated tunes. I'd be happy to get in contact with the Bama Team for you to make this happen!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
eouellette18,

The new stock TB should run perfectly right from the get-go, there isn't any kind of break in period. However, it sounds like the MAF sensor isn't reading completely accurate. Air turbulence or more common a dirty MAF sensor will cause a slight surge in the tune when the car is in motion, like you're experiencing.

Pick up some MAF cleaner from your local Auto Parts Store and give it a thorough cleaning. See if that helps and get back to me!

Shane

I'm sorry you weren't happy with our Bama Team's customer service! They're usually great with writing custom tunes that have additional requests to them. However, clearly someone forgot or missed the new rev limiter request for your particular case.

Please let me know if you're interested giving us a shot to make up for things, and send some updated tunes. I'd be happy to get in contact with the Bama Team for you to make this happen!

Shane
Well this is awkward, lol Just kidding. It just seems that as you guys get much more popular, things slip through.

I am running a dyno tune now which is really where I need to be since I am so deep in mods. The tune was just to drive from A-B which was the tuner's location.

But I feel like more and more people are hired with little experience because example:

Why couldn't the gentleman on the phone answer my question of whether the JLT intake is supposed to have a dent under it or not? He referred me to JLT and I was mind boggled as to why he couldn't walk over, pick up an unsold intake, and answer my question. I even sent him pictures of what it looked like to a cell phone you guys have as he requested. This is not a knock on him at all because he is only operating within his knowledge, but it should be AM's responsibility that their reps can answer questions without much help.

How come he doesn't have access to a JLT intake? Sounds like the call center and warehouse are in separate locations?

I love AM and will ALWAYS continue to buy from you guys, but it is my opinion that is seems that as a whole, the company is willing to take more chances in a negative way.

As for the email tune, my TB which I got 2 weeks ago, ALSO had idle issues like his but worse, my tune could also not cure it until my dyno tuner adjusted IAT values. Seems like there is some gray area of tuning expertise between some of the tune writers.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I remember calling summit about a nitrous kit I bought and was having trouble, I believe they walked me thru it and had a kit in front of them to describe the parts and how they hook up

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="AMShaneLesky;1578342"]

eouellette18,

Shane

I cleaned it and everything, and It helped a little but is still doing it. It also feels as if the 93 tune isn't as aggressive as it was before. I'm going to put it back to the stock tune tomorrow for emission testing, so I'll know for sure, but if there seems to be no difference between the stock tune and 93 tune, what can I do? Have bama send me a new set of tunes? I'll be ordering a full exhaust setup including lt headers some day this week, and will also need a tune for the 4.10 gears I just bought but haven't installed yet. Should I just wait to get the tune for that?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I cleaned it and everything, and It helped a little but is still doing it. It also feels as if the 93 tune isn't as aggressive as it was before. I'm going to put it back to the stock tune tomorrow for emission testing, so I'll know for sure, but if there seems to be no difference between the stock tune and 93 tune, what can I do? Have bama send me a new set of tunes? I'll be ordering a full exhaust setup including lt headers some day this week, and will also need a tune for the 4.10 gears I just bought but haven't installed yet. Should I just wait to get the tune for that?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:34 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

For gears you don't actually need a tune. Once you install the gears you just hook up your tuner and recalibrate the speedo since it will be off a bit with the new gearing

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

Quote:

You should datalog and then send the info to AM and have them adjust your tune and see if you feel a difference after that

Custom Dyno Tune By B&D Racing
340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Stang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
Well this is awkward, lol Just kidding. It just seems that as you guys get much more popular, things slip through.

I am running a dyno tune now which is really where I need to be since I am so deep in mods. The tune was just to drive from A-B which was the tuner's location.

But I feel like more and more people are hired with little experience because example:

Why couldn't the gentleman on the phone answer my question of whether the JLT intake is supposed to have a dent under it or not? He referred me to JLT and I was mind boggled as to why he couldn't walk over, pick up an unsold intake, and answer my question. I even sent him pictures of what it looked like to a cell phone you guys have as he requested. This is not a knock on him at all because he is only operating within his knowledge, but it should be AM's responsibility that their reps can answer questions without much help.

How come he doesn't have access to a JLT intake? Sounds like the call center and warehouse are in separate locations?

I love AM and will ALWAYS continue to buy from you guys, but it is my opinion that is seems that as a whole, the company is willing to take more chances in a negative way.

As for the email tune, my TB which I got 2 weeks ago, ALSO had idle issues like his but worse, my tune could also not cure it until my dyno tuner adjusted IAT values. Seems like there is some gray area of tuning expertise between some of the tune writers.
I understand you're content with your current tune now, which is fine. I just wanted to let you know the offer is on the table!

Also, it can be difficult for newer Mustang Experts to learn everyone single part we carry, all at once. Sometimes it takes a little time, especially with all of the different models and years needing different variations of the same part. Needless to say, it's a lot to wrap your head around, until you spend some more time with the parts. Which is why we offer constant training within the company for our Mustang Experts as well as have vendors bring their products in for presentations.

Our AM warehouse is in the same industrial complex as our office, but they're a quarter mile apart. Unfortunately, the Mustang Expert you talked to did not have the ability to walk over and pick your particular intake up as a reference. Since he/she wasn't familiar with your question, they were to do as trained and offer a reputable contact at the manufacture, for the most accurate source. I'm sorry they weren't able to answer your question from the start, though!

I'm also sorry we weren't able to clear up your tune. What size as your TB? Did you mean your dyno tuner adjusted the IAC parameter? There shouldn't be any adjustments needs for a stock or ported factory TB. Either way, I'm glad your Mustang is running well now and you're happy with it!

Shane

Quote:
eouellette18,

You've tried both stock and Bama tunes and the symptom happens with each? It seems like there's some kind of mechanical issue. Possibly an air leak in the intake or a faulty MAF sensor? Have you tried tightening the intake clamps and checking for leaks?

If you're having troubles with both tunes, that confirms your issue is mechanical. However, if you're only seeing the surging with the Bama tune and not the stock tune, then that's another story. Once we figure out this surging issue, then well take a look at the performance end of things. We need to have a smooth running vehicle first!

Please try this test and then let me know how it goes. Depending on the results, we'll take more actions!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT