Hurst Shifter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Hurst Shifter

Anyone installed a hurst shifter on their mustang? I have a 2010 gt and am wondering how hard it is to install. This is my first manual car so I have never done it before
Durantsoccer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
As much as I would love to help you out, the 11+ has a completely different shift mechanism than the 05-10. You have your shifter actually mounted to the trans, ours is remote. You'll probably get a better response in the 05-09 section. I'm going to move this over there for you. Good luck

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durantsoccer2 View Post
Anyone installed a hurst shifter on their mustang? I have a 2010 gt and am wondering how hard it is to install. This is my first manual car so I have never done it before
I put one on my 07 and it was pretty simple. I got the billet, it's a little beefier. It takes a little patience getting the old one out, but it's no big deal. I love it, big difference.
Wait for it
Wait for it
Ok now all the posts of how other shifters are better.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I put one into my GT and what can I say....its amazing! I love the old school feel, its very notchy and i can't stress this enough, its extremely short! I absolutely love it! The install however? It was a pain in the butt! The hardest parts were getting to the bolts for the old one, they were very snug and in a tight spot for me (these results do vary!!) and getting the new one lined up in the hole with each end where it needed to be. The shifts with the hurst are crisp, short and do make a huge difference when racing! It looks amazing too! The look is unbeatable by any other shifter! Don't let people persuade you with the MGW, its not as short but can be adjusted but ill be honest, it doesn't look nearly as nice! Complements on the classic, retro, classy look for daaaaayyys. Hope this helped!
08mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
You'll need the car on jack stands but that's about it pretty simple just hard to get to, I had my hurst shifter installed when I got my gears put in, so he already had the drive shaft out, took my mechanic 10 actually mins

You don't have to remove the drive shaft btw it just helps

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Also hurst shifter owners!!! Did you install the rubber isolator between the shifter and stick? I didn't cause I wanted maximum mechanical feel

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't either lol! I didn't even use jack stands, I put one underneath for safety purposes but I really just used one jack on the drivers side.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I've done 3 Hurst shifters so far, and I love them. For me, the hardest part of the install is getting my fat *** underneath the car. Other than that, basic mechanical skills are all you need.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Thanks for all the help. I want to try to do it myself. It doesn't look too complicated. I really want to get one after everyones post. My friend has one in his and it looks like it is alot easier to shift and doesn't take very much. Also it will be taller in case i have a drink in the cup holders. Is it better to lift the back of the car to get to the shifter?
Durantsoccer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It doesn't matter if its left side or right or both but go with the front. Its located more to the front of your car. The front of the shifter is located approx. Middle of the car as far ahead as the side view mirrors. Hope this helps give you an idea of location.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

AM has an install sheet on their website, it might be just for the standard one, not billet, but the install is the same. I always check there first, it gives you a good idea of what you need to do and some pics of what you're looking for.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Once you get it, it comes with install instructions.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I loved my billet plus until it rusted from the inside out....
Always broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

How does that even happen

Old 03-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I love the Hurst Shifter. It's real notchy and not as smooth as other shifters, but the classic retro look is great! Install is super easy if you remove the driveshaft. I chose to remove the driveshaft just to give myself more room to work, but I've heard it's pretty easy even if u keep the driveshaft in place.
jazzystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

If you look at your stock shifter it has a protective rubber boot on the bottom. Ford put that boot there because it sits in the transmission tunnel were the elements can get it. For some reason Hurst decided to save a whopping 3 dollars and doesn't provide that protection. But, if you look at the completion they all have the that rubber boot on the bottom. So beware in a couple years that hurst bullet plus will feel gravely and rough. Then you have lube it grease and WD-40 to keep it going.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
OP...whatever you do, DO NOT over tighten the nuts on the shifter linkage studs. They break really easy and if you do break them you have to buy another complete shifter assembly from ford. They do not sell just the linkage arm.

As far as the Hurst itself, I think it is underrated. Yeah its notchy and noisy but the shifts are direct, crisp, and short. It is a great bang for the buck shifter.
MavyMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always broke View Post
If you look at your stock shifter it has a protective rubber boot on the bottom. Ford put that boot there because it sits in the transmission tunnel were the elements can get it. For some reason Hurst decided to save a whopping 3 dollars and doesn't provide that protection. But, if you look at the completion they all have the that rubber boot on the bottom. So beware in a couple years that hurst bullet plus will feel gravely and rough. Then you have lube it grease and WD-40 to keep it going.
I have had my billet plus on for two years, driving year round in NE Ohio and never parking in a garage and mine is completely clean. I just put on a o/r h and checked the nuts on the shifter while I was down there. Not sure how yours would rust out. Too much moisture sitting there maybe.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I love my Hurst shifter. Coming from a Pro 5.0 shifter in my fox body the Hurst felt ridiculously short and smooth. I actually just put a GT500 shift boot, my old Pro 5.0 shift handle, and a stock shift knob on it and love it. I kind of always liked the stock shifter look on the s197's so I decided to take off the chrome handle, white shift ball, and swap it back to the stock stuff on top of the Hurst base. Best of both worlds!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Easy to install. Way simpler with two people, one in the car, one under. After having the Hurst it NEVER loosens up and I feel the shorter throws are negated by the effort required to shift. I am considering swapping to stock or MGW.

The one bolt on the side of the install backs out against the transmission tunnel, so if you use a wrench, make sure it is open because once you back it out, you can't switch the ratchet to back it in lol.

I used a ratchet style box wrench.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
Easy to install. Way simpler with two people, one in the car, one under. After having the Hurst it NEVER loosens up and I feel the shorter throws are negated by the effort required to shift. I am considering swapping to stock or MGW.

The one bolt on the side of the install backs out against the transmission tunnel, so if you use a wrench, make sure it is open because once you back it out, you can't switch the ratchet to back it in lol.

I used a ratchet style box wrench.
Bro do you even lift!?

What effort are you talking about

Old 03-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
Bro do you even lift!?

hahahahahaha.

The shifter is easily 5-6 times harder to shift. Most short shifters are stiffer but loosen over time. This did not.

It is a common issue on many forums one the comp billet shifter. Under high RPM the shifter is significantly harder to shift. Motor mounts help the situation which I will be doing soon.

I do have to say it is the best looking shifter out there to me, though.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 03-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

hahahahahaha.

The shifter is easily 5-6 times harder to shift. Most short shifters are stiffer but loosen over time. This did not.

It is a common issue on many forums one the comp billet shifter. Under high RPM the shifter is significantly harder to shift. Motor mounts help the situation which I will be doing soon.

Mine moves easily and friction less that's why I'm having a hard time getting what your saying, but you can get a mgw and use the hurst stick

Old 03-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

hahahahahaha.

Mine feels better now then it ever has. I will agree that its harder to shift at upper rpms but if your shifting that high in the band then you should be banging through the gears anyway. I have never missed a gear with this shifter. (Knock on wood)
Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mine moves easily and friction less that's why I'm having a hard time getting what your saying, but you can get a mgw and use the hurst stick
I have never driven a hurst shifter that was smooth or soft. You have the best Hurst Evar!

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 03-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Haha I guess, it's probably your synchros about to shred to pieces

Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha I guess, it's probably your synchros about to shred to pieces
Never know

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
MGW web site has a video on how to remove and install a shifter, not hard to do.
SGTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Bro do you even lift!?

Hahahahahaha! Dkm!
Old 03-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You're supposed to re-use the factory rubber boot that fits on the bottom. Just like you re-use the upper leather cover.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
You're supposed to re-use the factory rubber boot that fits on the bottom. Just like you re-use the upper leather cover.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 03-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

No you can't it's attached to stock shifter. I spoke to Hurst about my problem all he to say was "we offer a shifter rebuild service" which is not free.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

When I spoke to the hurst help line he told me that the quality couldn't be guarantied because it was made by a overseas contractor. OK is all I could say, I was shocked that such an American icon was being produced in China.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No you can't it's attached to stock shifter. I spoke to Hurst about my problem all he to say was "we offer a shifter rebuild service" which is not free.
I reused my stock boot, rubber, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130328_205658.png
Views:	247
Size:	719.4 KB
ID:	99077  
Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Who said it's attached?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3428554936.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	99091  

Old 03-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

It really helps if you take the tranny cross-member out and let the tranny sag down a little bit. I would put a jack under it just so it dont pop you in the face. But that makes those 10mm bolts a lot easier to get to. Take the driveshaft loose before you do that too. I did it on a 08 gt today. Simple task
dylanmullins is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT