OnStar mirror upgrade? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
OnStar mirror upgrade?

Has anyone installed the OnStar mirror upgrade on their older model? I've been thinking about it in case of accident or theft. Debating on whether it's worth it.
fury88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Instant that for GM only?
Mustang_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_96 View Post
Instant that for GM only?
No they have the mirror for any compatible car. It works almost the same way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

https://www.onstar.com/web/fmv/home
Old 04-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by fury88 View Post
Has anyone installed the OnStar mirror upgrade on their older model? I've been thinking about it in case of accident or theft. Debating on whether it's worth it.
Depends, do you want to spend the money every month/year?
My wife has Bluelink in her Sonata and likes it ok. But Hyundai Bluelink offers navigation, Talk to Text, and gives her features like starting and killing her car from her phone or computer. So its pretty sweet. Yours probably won't have those features, but i know its a great thing to have in case you are in an accident and can't contact anyone for help. Saved my uncle and his sons life when they took a 30ft tumble down a mountain in California a few years ago.

(Now,I have heard that they are trying to push OnStar in most all vehicles now though. Something about law enforcment being able to run your plates, connect to your OnStar, and check if you have been wearing your seatbelt, speeding or other traffic violations. But that could be a myth.)
Davo_281GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

True. It may have some of those features. I know it has tracking for theft, call in case of emergency, and Bluetooth apparently. It may have remote start or kill as well. I'll have to double check. They wire it to the car.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo_281GT View Post

Depends, do you want to spend the money every month/year?
My wife has Bluelink in her Sonata and likes it ok. But Hyundai Bluelink offers navigation, Talk to Text, and gives her features like starting and killing her car from her phone or computer. So its pretty sweet. Yours probably won't have those features, but i know its a great thing to have in case you are in an accident and can't contact anyone for help. Saved my uncle and his sons life when they took a 30ft tumble down a mountain in California a few years ago.

(Now,I have heard that they are trying to push OnStar in most all vehicles now though. Something about law enforcment being able to run your plates, connect to your OnStar, and check if you have been wearing your seatbelt, speeding or other traffic violations. But that could be a myth.)
It's a mixture of True and False Onstar can determine that information if they wanted to, but it's not until the button is pressed. They also claim they won't track you until the button is pressed.

OnStar does work. We have a family friend that had his Escalade stolen from him at gunpoint in a home invasion. OnStar was able notify the police of the vehicles location.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
OnStar does work. We have a family friend that had his Escalade stolen from him at gunpoint in a home invasion. OnStar was able notify the police of the vehicles location.
Justice!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Justice!!!
The bad part is 1 police car was damaged and Escalade caught on fire with some of their personal belongings in it. But they apprehended the suspects after a foot pursuit, so that was justice.

So OnStar does work. They'll even greet you by name, so when you press the blue button, they'll say, Hello"_____". The last I checked the monthly fee was kind of expensive.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The bad part is 1 police car was damaged and Escalade caught on fire with some of their personal belongings in it. But they apprehended the suspects after a foot pursuit, so that was justice.

So OnStar does work. They'll even greet you by name, so when you press the blue button, they'll say, Hello"_____". The last I checked the monthly fee was kind of expensive.
Yeah you guys are right. On of the only things holding me back is the monthly fee. Is it worth it for piece of mind? Not sure. Reasoning that its a convertible mustang with some power, I have a higher probability of theft or accident!
Old 04-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
I would do it i work for gm but drive a mustan and i love on star my last car had it big help.
Grabberblue4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah you guys are right. On of the only things holding me back is the monthly fee. Is it worth it for piece of mind? Not sure. Reasoning that its a convertible mustang with some power, I have a higher probability of theft or accident!

If you call them you may be able to negotiate something. Like 6 months free or half price for a year. Hyundai BlueLink did it for me. You would be surprised how helpful they are. Mostly because they want your business. But hey, might as well try. I'd tell them you heard someone say they got a free six month trial. After thats its like $17.00 a month.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #13
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:

If you call them you may be able to negotiate something. Like 6 months free or half price for a year. Hyundai BlueLink did it for me. You would be surprised how helpful they are. Mostly because they want your business. But hey, might as well try. I'd tell them you heard someone say they got a free six month trial. After thats its like $17.00 a month.
Yeah try that. They used to give you a year free when you purchased a GM car. My dad is a GM guy all the way.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah try that. They used to give you a year free when you purchased a GM car. My dad is a GM guy all the way.
Yeah we got a year free with my wife's Chevy. I'll probably call this weekend to see what they can do!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT