Convertible Top closing problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Convertible Top closing problems

Has anyone had problems closing their vinyl convertible top? My 2005 has problems lining up and I have real trouble locking. Even pulling down on the middle handle. Not sure what happened and why it doesn't line up a lot of the time.
fury88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Can you explain more about what isn't lining up? Is the top askew or just doesn't come down all of the way, or both.

Sometimes my top stops about an inch too short but I am about to pull it into position with no problem then latch it.
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler Go: FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
GTRob504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It does usually stop a bit short but sometimes even the pins don't like up and it's extremely tight to try to close the handles. I tried to hang down on the handle but it doesn't help. Definitely something out of alignment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I've never had trouble with my 07 but like GTRob, it doesn't always come down all the way. It sounds like the frame is a little out of whack. There is a good bit of play in mine where I can move it around if it doesn't seat right. You might try using the handle to guide it as it comes down to close.
B52Bombardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Ok check a few things. There is a certain section of the top that runs above the front and rear window. Sort of like a flap to cover the frame. Make sure it is not pinched up when closing the top. Also close top a little at a time and check to see if the frame joints are at the same angle all along the way to being closed.
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler Go: FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
GTRob504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRob504 View Post
Ok check a few things. There is a certain section of the top that runs above the front and rear window. Sort of like a flap to cover the frame. Make sure it is not pinched up when closing the top. Also close top a little at a time and check to see if the frame joints are at the same angle all along the way to being closed.
Ok thanks. I'll try a couple of things. We're actually supposed to be warm enough for a change so I'll check tomorrow!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Funny. I got home and the darn thing closed great. I've noticed that If I leave the top down in the garage for awhile and then try to put it back up it has problems. Thinking maybe it's due to heat or cold expansion/contraction. I did notice that my left side clip on the frame is cracked! Might have to find a used part somewhere but never heard of how to replace it before.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
It might be like my 7up fox body. There is enough body flex that if I don't park on a flat area the top will not latch due to the body flex.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #9

Region: Michigan
Convert. Top Issues

I have found that off recent that my top is have one major issue. The Joint that goes over the Front windows, I would say the main place that the top folds to go back, does not seem to want to "lock". When i put the top up and lock in the latches, I need to lower the main windows and then raise them in order to Lift the top into it correct position. If I put the windows down the top seems to get lose and "fall" a bit thus while driving the top will rattle. So right now its either Top up windows up or Top down. Thought? Help would be amazing! Can get a Video and post if needed.
sobellge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:32 PM   #10

Region: Alabama
I just had both cylinders replaced and the lines bled twice, however, now the top falls hard when putting it up and is very difficult to pull closed. The repair man said there is nothing wrong with his work and I could pay him more for "Factory" parts. He doesn't think that will help. I am at a loss as to how to repair his shoddy work. Any help would be appreciated.
lilylaura is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT