Forced Induction! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Forced Induction!

Well, there's two types of blowers; centrifugal or roots/twin screw. In my opinion, never go centrifugal. Both the roots and turbo beat it out, BIG TIME.

With the roots style, it looks like a BEAST underneither the hood and delivers INSTANT power and throttle response for tire shredding fun! But the down fall in my opinion is just that, the tire shredding fun! Our cars can already spin the wheels and burn rubber big time so we have no need to spin the tires every time we shift. It makes it very hard to get traction, you will need many supporting mods such as control arms, wider, stickier tires, driveshaft, different differential, etc. But it will go like a MOTHER! it has a nasty sounding squeal when driving that is gawked at by many but for me, turbos the way to go.

People disregard turbos because of "turbo lag". The time it takes to spool up and spin the turbine to give the car the power. But for us (big v8 mustang owners), there is virtually NO TURBO LAG! Litterally. The smaller the turbo, the less lag, the bigger the turbo, the more power potential. Twins are the happy perfection. Put in a 60 mm turbo and it will spool by 1200 rpm (my car idles at 1000). A 70 mm will spool by 1900-2000 rpm. I ordered a custom made kit for $5, 000. It has all hot side tubing, cold side, oil tap kit, everything needed and 60 and 67 mm turbos for instant power and taller power potential. With this set up, I could go up to 1000+ horsepower if I cranked the boost all the way up. I'm looking at 16 psi for about 700 horsepower hopefully!

Now, pricing! For a centrifugal blower (procharger/vortech), you can expect to pay around $3, 500-$5, 000. For a roots style blower (kenne bell/whipple) you can look at $5, 000 - $6, 500. And finally, turbo. Turbo can run you $1, 990 - $6, 500! A twin turbo set up from sts is $6, 000 I believe but a kit from On3 performance is $1, 990 shipped to your door for a base model. The on3 is debated to be reliable or not but if you change the head unit to a garret or turbonetics ($300-800) it is just like a hellion kit ($5, 500).

Evert form of FI has a positive and a negative side, it just takes a bit of research and personal preference choices! Hope this has helped!
08mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
So did you get the turbo already im interested in this
Kcstunna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Not yet. Ordered but should be here within the next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Ok keep us updated I was thinking about doing the same thing
Kcstunna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
How is centrifugal bad? 700+HP low 10s in the 1/4

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Never said it was bad, but its (in my opinion) the worst of the 3 options. Doesn't have have the power potential of a turbo set up, or the on the pedal instant throttle of a roots. Its more of a mix between the two and it took parts of both, and in my opinion, the worst parts of both (non-instant torque, medium level power potential and sound is meh). The best part of a centrifugal is the price. Just my two cents but others may disagree.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT