Random accelerations or sticking - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Random accelerations or sticking

I installed the 93 Race tune about a week ago and it's been running fine. Down to half a tank of gas now. The other day when I was backing out of my driveway in reverse the car continued to accelerate though I had no foot on gas. It stopped when I pressed the clutch back in. This morning into work I had to stop for a turn and it appeared to happen again in 1st gear. Scared the crap out of me because I was behind a car! I don't think I got my foot stuck but 2x now it happened so I am starting to be slightly concerned. I'm guessing it could be several things. First things first, could it be tune related?
JTL Series 3 and Bama tuner.

Thanks for suggestions.

-Matt
fury88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
If the intake came off up front or at the TB, it will accelerate randomly. I just went through this lol. Now, dirty TB, dirty MAF, anything giving a wrong reading. Reflash the tune or get a new one written for comparison.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Sounds to me like your car is just telling you that if you're not going to drive it like a mustang, it's gonna drive itself, Lol.
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo_281GT View Post
Sounds to me like your car is just telling you that if you're not going to drive it like a mustang, it's gonna drive itself, Lol.
LOL. Yeah it's telling me the race tune is for racing! But now that I'm running the 93 tune I don't want to go back. Love the gettyup! Hah pun intended.

I should check the TB though. Where does it get dirty? If the air filter isn't stopping stuff? Odd. In the Nissan Murano I used to drive if the hose came off ie too much air, it would shut down not speed up haha
Old 04-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
The TB get dirty with carbon/oil from blowby. I personally take off my TB to clean it. Your going to have to relearn your ECM after you do this if you move your butterflies.
Silver06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver06GT View Post
The TB get dirty with carbon/oil from blowby. I personally take off my TB to clean it. Your going to have to relearn your ECM after you do this if you move your butterflies.
Hmm. Sounds like its not difficult but I'm new to some of the lingo. did change my alternator myself and of course install CAI.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by fury88 View Post
Hmm. Sounds like its not difficult but I'm new to some of the lingo. did change my alternator myself and of course install CAI.
fury88,

We've seen this symptom plenty of times with dirty throttle bodies on 05+ Mustangs, unfortunately. The fix can be as simple as putting the throttle body off and whipping it down with Brake Cleaner on both sides of the throttle blade. Typically, there's no need to take the drive-by-wire motor apart. Also, picking up some MAF cleaner and cleaning the MAF sensor isn't a bad idea either.

Give these few tricks a try and see how it goes. I'm confident the problem will be resolved after an Idle Relearn. If it's not, we'll take the next step!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
fury88,

We've seen this symptom plenty of times with dirty throttle bodies on 05+ Mustangs, unfortunately. The fix can be as simple as putting the throttle body off and whipping it down with Brake Cleaner on both sides of the throttle blade. Typically, there's no need to take the drive-by-wire motor apart. Also, picking up some MAF cleaner and cleaning the MAF sensor isn't a bad idea either.

Give these few tricks a try and see how it goes. I'm confident the problem will be resolved after an Idle Relearn. If it's not, we'll take the next step!

Shane
Thanks Shane!

Sounds like a great plan. I'll pop that sucker off this weekend and take a good cleaning to it. I took it off once to change the alternator but that was a couple of months ago. Might have gotten dirty anyway. Good link to the timing relearn. Sounds like I just need to drive it ~ 10 miles.

Question on that: Should I return the tune to stock while relearning or is it better to relearn with the tune?
Old 04-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by fury88 View Post
Thanks Shane!

Sounds like a great plan. I'll pop that sucker off this weekend and take a good cleaning to it. I took it off once to change the alternator but that was a couple of months ago. Might have gotten dirty anyway. Good link to the timing relearn. Sounds like I just need to drive it ~ 10 miles.

Question on that: Should I return the tune to stock while relearning or is it better to relearn with the tune?
Sounds good!

FYI: it's better to do the relearn on the Bama tune. That will give you the best and most accurate results.

Let me know how things turn out!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:41 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I decided to get some Seafoam w/ tube straw and spray it directly into the manifold. Definitely got some nice smoke burning stuff out! Seems to be running a lot better now but time will tell.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT