What should i do for maintence - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Luna1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Salt Lake City
Region: Utah
Posts: 805
What should i do for maintence

Iv got an 05 mustang gt and I bought the car with 50 thousand miles and I replaced oil with royal purple around 53 thousand. And now iv got about 59 thousand. I was thinking about changing oil and spark plugs what else should I do?
Luna1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-14-2013, 12:54 AM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: California
Posts: 610
Air filter
Fuel filter
Breaks
Trans fluid
Coolant
Andy714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
08Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna1994 View Post
Iv got an 05 mustang gt and I bought the car with 50 thousand miles and I replaced oil with royal purple around 53 thousand. And now iv got about 59 thousand. I was thinking about changing oil and spark plugs what else should I do?
Change before 6k miles, do it about every 5k...and get some platinum plugs, new coil packs, fuel filter, k&n air filter, clean your throttle body, and put some fuel system cleaner in your tank next time you fill up! That's a complete tune up pretty much
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post
Change before 6k miles, do it about every 5k...and get some platinum plugs, new coil packs, fuel filter, k&n air filter, clean your throttle body, and put some fuel system cleaner in your tank next time you fill up! That's a complete tune up pretty much
Oil interval straight from Ford is 7500.

Royal purple can easily be run to 10k but I still do it at 5k since abuse her at the track
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Luna1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Salt Lake City
Region: Utah
Posts: 805
How hard is it to change tranny fluid
Luna1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna1994 View Post
How hard is it to change tranny fluid
Not at all. Drain like normal but filling is tricky because the filler hole is on the side. I bought a tub, stuffed it through the shifter area in the hole and filled it.
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Davo_281GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bogalusa
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
Not at all. Darin like normal but filling is tricky because the filler hole is on the side. I bought a tub, stuffed it through the shifter area in the hole and filled it.
How much fluid does it take to refill? What about a trans filter?
Davo_281GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: California
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo_281GT View Post

How much fluid does it take to refill? What about a trans filter?
Bout 9 qtz.. and yes it does have a filter
Andy714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy714 View Post
Bout 9 qtz.. and yes it does have a filter
It is 3.2 in a manual and manuals do not have filters.

Unless he has an auto, which is also not 9 quarts, it is approximately 11.9 quarts.

Without a full flush you get 9 quarts, that is incomplete.

08 GT may change a bit as far as oil requirements.
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 179
Send a message via AIM to Destination S19
Don't forget the cabin air filter. No one seems to suggest changing them but it keeps life in your A/C blower motor and smells out of the cabin.
__________________

FRPP HotRods Cams / American Racing Headers Long Tubes with catted X / Stang-Hi dyno tune
Saleen wheels / Steeda CAI / Corsa Xtremes, K Springs, Koni STR.Ts, UMI lca relo. Brackets/r lwr ctrl arms UMI adj. panhard bar / Camber plates / SR Strut Tower Brace.
Destination S19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination S19 View Post
Don't forget the cabin air filter. No one seems to suggest changing them but it keeps life in your A/C blower motor and smells out of the cabin.
Yes!! Smells!! lol They can smell like dead people.
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Davo_281GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bogalusa
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 326
Or dead mice, like we found in the ducts of my wifes new sonata. Awful!

_____________________________________________________________

Also, I have an Auto. But I'm hoping that will change soon when the new GT comes out. I've only ever owned manuals, and i'm starting to miss clutching. lol.
Davo_281GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo_281GT View Post
Or dead mice, like we found in the ducts of my wifes new sonata. Awful!

_____________________________________________________________

Also, I have an Auto. But I'm hoping that will change soon when the new GT comes out. I've only ever owned manuals, and i'm starting to miss clutching. lol.
When I removed my manifold for cmdps install, there were hundreds of nuts in the space below it and a dead squirrel. Looked like it cooked.
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
garbill2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 914
Don't over look your rearend and a tire rotation also do not change them cop's unless your upgrading or they are going bad.
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbill2003 View Post
Don't over look your rearend and a tire rotation also do not change them cop's unless your upgrading or they are going bad.
Rotation is great until you have staggered
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
garbill2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post

Rotation is great until you have staggered
Yeah tell me about it Iam screwed their. I take it yours are also staggered?
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbill2003 View Post
Yeah tell me about it Iam screwed their. I take it yours are also staggered?
Yes, Nitto 555 255/18 up front and 305/18 555R2 up front. Not even the same tire lol
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rosco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: La Verne
Region: California
Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post

Change before 6k miles, do it about every 5k...and get some platinum plugs, new coil packs, fuel filter, k&n air filter, clean your throttle body, and put some fuel system cleaner in your tank next time you fill up! That's a complete tune up pretty much
Coil packs??? Why waste all the money on those when they function properly?
__________________
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
08Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco View Post

Coil packs??? Why waste all the money on those when they function properly?
Just might as well upgrade em
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
There isn't really any "upgrade" to be had with new coil packs except new coil packs. They are one of those things you buy when something is a miss.

Cars with 0 miles would most likely pull the same power and times as car with old coil packs after 50k, baring any sustained damage and assuming proper maintenance.
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
08Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
There isn't really any "upgrade" to be had with new coil packs except new coil packs. They are one of those things you buy when something is a miss.

Cars with 0 miles would most likely pull the same power and times as car with old coil packs after 50k, baring any sustained damage and assuming proper maintenance.
I'd definitely have to disagree! You will lose power in the coil packs as they age along with wires and spark plugs.
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 179
Send a message via AIM to Destination S19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
There isn't really any "upgrade" to be had with new coil packs except new coil packs. They are one of those things you buy when something is a miss.

Cars with 0 miles would most likely pull the same power and times as car with old coil packs after 50k, baring any sustained damage and assuming proper maintenance.
I find myself agreeing with Borii a lot today haha! The factory COPs are the best you can get for the most part. If you feel like they need to be "upgraded", just buy new factory replacements. I haven't heard anything good about Accel or Granatelli, the only other option being MSD, and for the costs and lack of proven benefits, stick with stock COPs. Even people making 800hp are running factory coils.
__________________

FRPP HotRods Cams / American Racing Headers Long Tubes with catted X / Stang-Hi dyno tune
Saleen wheels / Steeda CAI / Corsa Xtremes, K Springs, Koni STR.Ts, UMI lca relo. Brackets/r lwr ctrl arms UMI adj. panhard bar / Camber plates / SR Strut Tower Brace.
Destination S19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post
I'd definitely have to disagree! You will lose power in the coil packs as they age along with wires and spark plugs.
Can you substantiate this?
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rosco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: La Verne
Region: California
Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
There isn't really any "upgrade" to be had with new coil packs except new coil packs. They are one of those things you buy when something is a miss.

Cars with 0 miles would most likely pull the same power and times as car with old coil packs after 50k, baring any sustained damage and assuming proper maintenance.
Well stated.
__________________
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Davo_281GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bogalusa
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
When I removed my manifold for cmdps install, there were hundreds of nuts in the space below it and a dead squirrel. Looked like it cooked.
Nothing like some good ole' squirrel jerky, lmao!!
Davo_281GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
dmarq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: phoenix
Region: Arizona
Posts: 249
I had a question about the fuel filter...service center told me this needs replaced every 15k miles...that seems ridiculously often. It's taken me until adulthood and the purchase of my first home until I was finally able to afford the mustang I have now, until then, I had mostly driven Honda's and they NEVER required a fuel filter replacement in any services I had done...why does Ford say every 15k for this car? I understand a 4 banger gorcery getter requires less fuel than my v8, but still, from never to every 15k? Is it truly needed that often or can I stretch it out...car currently has 31,000 miles on it.
dmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
610swolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 442
i would assume that it is, fuel filters get dirty like any other filter and robs you of power. Besides a oem replacement filter is 15 bucks and it's literally a three minute job to get the old one out and the new one in. I don't even jack up the car. I changed mine about 5 months after I got the car thinking that the dealership had taken care of most of the maintenance things... and mine was disguisting. I could tell that mine had never been changed.
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #28
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: California
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by 610swolf View Post
i would assume that it is, fuel filters get dirty like any other filter and robs you of power. Besides a oem replacement filter is 15 bucks and it's literally a three minute job to get the old one out and the new one in. I don't even jack up the car. I changed mine about 5 months after I got the car thinking that the dealership had taken care of most of the maintenance things... and mine was disguisting. I could tell that mine had never been changed.
Do you just take off the old one like that? No need to close the fuel lines? Also where is it located
Andy714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
610swolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy714 View Post
Do you just take off the old one like that? No need to close the fuel lines? Also where is it located

Yep it's super simple. The fuel filter is located on the drivers side right under the driver seat. If your looking at this area you'll see a a black cover. Remove the 10mm screws holding the door and when it drops you'll see the fuel filter. Theres also a push pin you need to push in to get the door to come down. From there all you do is remove the bolt securing the fuel filter, push in the two latches and pull to get the fuel filter out and install the new one. Before you start though relieve the fuel pressure and make sure your fuel pump isn't on otherwise you'll have a huge mess to clean up haha.
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
BaSohol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 2,789
I would change it every 25,000 miles and if that's too much money for you, for sale signs are at Walmart for 98¢

I changed mine at 55,000 and whoa was it dirty and I run BP or shell 93
__________________

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
dmarq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: phoenix
Region: Arizona
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
I would change it every 25,000 miles and if that's too much money for you, for sale signs are at Walmart for 98¢

I changed mine at 55,000 and whoa was it dirty and I run BP or shell 93
If this post was directed to me, the cost of the service is not what I was asking about and I can do without the sarcasm...I can more than afford the car...but thank you for answering my question. I will change it soon and every 20-25k going forward.
dmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Terminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: California
Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
I would change it every 25,000 miles and if that's too much money for you, for sale signs are at Walmart for 98¢
Hahaha
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarq View Post

If this post was directed to me, the cost of the service is not what I was asking about and I can do without the sarcasm...I can more than afford the car...but thank you for answering my question. I will change it soon and every 20-25k going forward.
He wasn't being a smart a$$ he was just kidding around
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
BaSohol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 2,789
Lol c'mon lighting up
__________________

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #35
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: California
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by 610swolf View Post

Yep it's super simple. The fuel filter is located on the drivers side right under the driver seat. If your looking at this area you'll see a a black cover. Remove the 10mm screws holding the door and when it drops you'll see the fuel filter. Theres also a push pin you need to push in to get the door to come down. From there all you do is remove the bolt securing the fuel filter, push in the two latches and pull to get the fuel filter out and install the new one. Before you start though relieve the fuel pressure and make sure your fuel pump isn't on otherwise you'll have a huge mess to clean up haha.
Thanks man.. lol how do u know if your fuel pump is on.?
Andy714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



06:49 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.