Cold Air Intake Tune? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kbrown1092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Birmingham
Region: Alabama
Posts: 42
Cold Air Intake Tune?

This may be a dumb question but I recently put a bbk cold air intake on my car from American muscle and it required no tune, however I still wanted to install a 93 octane tune on the car. Is there anyway I can take my car to a shop and pay just to have the tune installed without spending the money on a tuner or will most all shops require me to but a tuner?
Kbrown1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Aggiesrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbrown1092 View Post
This may be a dumb question but I recently put a bbk cold air intake on my car from American muscle and it required no tune, however I still wanted to install a 93 octane tune on the car. Is there anyway I can take my car to a shop and pay just to have the tune installed without spending the money on a tuner or will most all shops require me to but a tuner?
You really want and need the tuner. The tuner marries to your car and stores your stock in case you need to go back. You can install the 93 tune and pick the CAI, plus a lot of other options for other mods later on. It's worth it.
__________________
chevy runs deep, Don't step in chevy!

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
BaSohol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 2,789
375 for the tuner is a fair price, then you get 3 custom tunes.
__________________

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-16-2013, 12:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kbrown1092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Birmingham
Region: Alabama
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post

You really want and need the tuner. The tuner marries to your car and stores your stock in case you need to go back. You can install the 93 tune and pick the CAI, plus a lot of other options for other mods later on. It's worth it.
Ok thanks. I think that's what I'm going to do because I plan on more mods

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
375 for the tuner is a fair price, then you get 3 custom tunes.
Ok thanks!
Kbrown1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbrown1092 View Post
This may be a dumb question but I recently put a bbk cold air intake on my car from American muscle and it required no tune, however I still wanted to install a 93 octane tune on the car. Is there anyway I can take my car to a shop and pay just to have the tune installed without spending the money on a tuner or will most all shops require me to but a tuner?
Like these guys already suggested, I would definitely recommend running a Tune on your S197 GT! You'll notice a huge difference in Power, torque, acceleration, drive ability, gas mileage, throttle response and so much more...

Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance! Our Bama Performance tuning specialists are here in the building Monday-Friday from 9AM-5:30PM EST and Saturday 9AM-5:30PM EST. You can hit them up directly at 888.226.9764 and they'll get you squared away!

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kbrown1092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Birmingham
Region: Alabama
Posts: 42
Will a cold air intake with out a tune cause the check engine light to come on??
Kbrown1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Edd204's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Region: Canada
Posts: 73
Tuner is a Must. Bought it from American muscle and got tunes for life from bama. If you are planning to do more mods it would definatly be worth it.
Edd204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kbrown1092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Birmingham
Region: Alabama
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd204 View Post
Tuner is a Must. Bought it from American muscle and got tunes for life from bama. If you are planning to do more mods it would definatly be worth it.
Well I recently Installed the bbk black out that doesn't require a tune and even though I plan on getting a tuner, I haven't got one yet and with in the last week my check engine light came on so I'm assuming that it's bc I need a tuner but not sure
Kbrown1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Edd204's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Region: Canada
Posts: 73
You should email American muscle. They may be able to get you answers. I did read a review on it and a guy said his pulled a code with out a tune. Some car part stores rents out tools for free, maybe you can rent a code reader and see what it says .
Edd204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Aggiesrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbrown1092 View Post
Well I recently Installed the bbk black out that doesn't require a tune and even though I plan on getting a tuner, I haven't got one yet and with in the last week my check engine light came on so I'm assuming that it's bc I need a tuner but not sure
If the CAI is not tight on the throttle body it will throw a code. Check you connections, sometimes the hose clamps get loose, especially if it was soon after install. If that all seems fine, Autozone and maybe NAPA will plug in and give you the fault codes.
__________________
chevy runs deep, Don't step in chevy!

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kbrown1092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Birmingham
Region: Alabama
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post

If the CAI is not tight on the throttle body it will throw a code. Check you connections, sometimes the hose clamps get loose, especially if it was soon after install. If that all seems fine, Autozone and maybe NAPA will plug in and give you the fault codes.
Ok thanks ill check the connections
Kbrown1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Aggiesrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbrown1092 View Post

Ok thanks ill check the connections
If that fixes it, it'll take a few days for CEL to go away if you can't reset it with a tuner.
__________________
chevy runs deep, Don't step in chevy!

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
AlexMcD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 51
Definitely get a tuner, it's worth it in the long run with other mods.
AlexMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kbrown1092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Birmingham
Region: Alabama
Posts: 42
I purchased a used 2005 diablo sport tuner used. If I have a 2007 mustang will it still be able to be used??
Kbrown1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Aggiesrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbrown1092 View Post
I purchased a used 2005 diablo sport tuner used. If I have a 2007 mustang will it still be able to be used??
Should be able to hook up to a computer and download any software or firmware updates and be good to go.
__________________
chevy runs deep, Don't step in chevy!

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kbrown1092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Birmingham
Region: Alabama
Posts: 42
I checked with diablo sport and they only work for 2005-2006 mustangs
Kbrown1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
cold air intake

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



10:39 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.