Turbo or supercharger? On my 2007 mustang Gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Turbo or supercharger? On my 2007 mustang Gt

I am considering installing a turno or supercharger. Only deal is that people tell me that if I go with the turbo I will have to touch the internals. Is this true?
Dpando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You can go turbo, if you keep the boost low.... I.E a 70mm turbo running 7-8 psi would put you between 420-460 rwhp. Just make sure you have a good tune that keeps your hp to 450....and you will be set.
Alonzo.dargan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonzo.dargan1 View Post
You can go turbo, if you keep the boost low.... I.E a 70mm turbo running 7-8 psi would put you between 420-460 rwhp. Just make sure you have a good tune that keeps your hp to 450....and you will be set.
+1
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks bud
Old 04-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

No prob
Old 04-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
People generally run almost 500 RWHP on turbos with 'relative' safety since the car, out of boost, isn't pushing that power. Now, the tune has a huge role in its safety but it just takes one rip in 1st to throw a rod.

A great tune at 450WHP will be faster than an average tune of 480 or 500 due to many factors. Don't get hung up on numbers.

Now, I need to clarify that HP isn't what we really need to worry about here, it should be torque.

Torque comes on sooner and is more destructive mainly because engines do not produce Horsepower. They produce torque. HP is a result of torque multiplication over an RPM range.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
People generally run almost 500 RWHP on turbos with 'relative' safety since the car, out of boost, isn't pushing that power. Now, the tune has a huge role in its safety but it just takes one rip in 1st to throw a rod.

A great tune at 450WHP will be faster than an average tune of 480 or 500 due to many factors. Don't get hung up on numbers.

Now, I need to clarify that HP isn't what we really need to worry about here, it should be torque.

Torque comes on sooner and is more destructive mainly because engines do not produce Horsepower. They produce torque. HP is a result of torque multiplication over an RPM range.
Totally right about the torque Borii.... Turbos on 3V's usually have more torque than horsepower. You would also want to look into what size you want, I.E where you would want your turbo to fully spool.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Hellion single turbo kit is what I am going to order. According to American Muscle its ready to install. Is that all I need to do?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpando View Post
Hellion single turbo kit is what I am going to order. According to American Muscle its ready to install. Is that all I need to do?
And tune hehe.

Do you have headers? You can get some dough back since Long tubes are gone after a turbo install.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I am considering installing a turno or supercharger. Only deal is that people tell me that if I go with the turbo I will have to touch the internals. Is this true?
Get the 5.0 engine
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post

And tune hehe.

Do you have headers? You can get some dough back since Long tubes are gone after a turbo install.
My car is completely stock, I dont have headers in it. You think I should get some. I also plan on having some exhaust installed. I just want a better sound. Not to loud, just a sporty decent sound.

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post

Get the 5.0 engine
I dont have that kind of cash to purchase a new 5.0.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My car is completely stock, I dont have headers in it. You think I should get some. I also plan on having some exhaust installed. I just want a better sound. Not to loud, just a sporty decent sound.

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

I dont have that kind of cash to purchase a new 5.0.
What I was saying was, if you have headers, you can not install a turbo with long tube headers. Shorties sure, but with the nature of a turbo, stock manifolds are more than sufficient.

If you go turbo, it will change the sound of ANY exhaust you find. It is probably the hardest specific combo to get info or sound clips of.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did you look at the on3performance turbo kit? It's a great overall system and is based off of the hellion kit. I have three friends that have the kit(1 fox 5.0, 1 3v, and 1 new 5.0) they all love it. I also have another friend with a new 5.0 that just order the kit and will be helping him install it.i also will be buying this kit when I come back from Korea.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonzo.dargan1 View Post

Did you look at the on3performance turbo kit? It's a great overall system and is based off of the hellion kit. I have three friends that have the kit(1 fox 5.0, 1 3v, and 1 new 5.0) they all love it. I also have another friend with a new 5.0 that just order the kit and will be helping him install it.i also will be buying this kit when I come back from Korea.
+1 cheaper too.
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
There's a guy on here who has had a complete nightmare with the on3 turbo kits. Honestly, you get what you pay for. His wasn't even just a bad piece or something that has made it a headache, they have sent him multiple pieces that were either completely wrong or didn't work when it got installed.

But anyway, definitely jealous about the turbo!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdizzle View Post
There's a guy on here who has had a complete nightmare with the on3 turbo kits. Honestly, you get what you pay for. His wasn't even just a bad piece or something that has made it a headache, they have sent him multiple pieces that were either completely wrong or didn't work when it got installed.

What makes it so bad is that The kits were designed around certain fitment issues on an 07. Which it fits better one. They do not state that the 05/06 will have a harder fitment problem. Also, the owner seems to be the person to talk to directly to resolve issues. The kit is good, but inexpensive and some supporting parts are needed. It is still a productive kit but just like Pypes LTs, they perform but often have fitment issues.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdizzle View Post

Yea that's because he didn't buy the right kit for his car and he didn't buy a k member like he needed..... There countless ppl that have this kit and love it. They are great ppl to talk to.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
2007 mustang