need help with cams? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
need help with cams?

I'm new when it comes to cam knowledge. I'm not looking for a very very loopy idle but I still want it to have that cammed sound. What can I expect for hp and tq gains from different cams? What's the difference between FI cams and regular? (I know its for forced induction but why diff cams?) And do cams work well with turbos? Thanks for any input!
08mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
FI to NA cam is very similar. Just a slightly different grind to be turbo friendly. I believe Brenspeed themselves said the difference would be 7 -10 WHP. So if you buy either one, you'll be fine.

Yes they work great with turbo or a sc as it is all about flow. N/a, without supporting mods, a Cam may net you 18-22 WHP. With supporting mods such as long tube headers, they land around 30-35WHP peak, but with noticeable losses of low end torque. Steep gears are recommended when staying n/a with a cam.

With a manifold, the cams could independently push a few more HP but they're very worth it. They raise and elongate your power band

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Would you recommend a steeper gear going to a 63 or 67 mm turbo with cams? I want to keep as much low end torque as possible, because lets be honest, everyone wants that head snapping torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08mustanggt View Post
Would you recommend a steeper gear going to a 63 or 67 mm turbo with cams? I want to keep as much low end torque as possible, because lets be honest, everyone wants that head snapping torque.
08mustanggt,

First off, good choice on going with some aftermarket Cams. I can't get enough of the idle from any radical engine build..

Have you checked out the Hot Rod camshafts? They work great both N/A or boost. Plus, they tune very easily and keep all of your stock drive ablilty manners.

Also, as far as gears go... I would run anything more than a 3.55 ratio. Since the Turbo builds boost off of lag, the 3.55's are pretty short still. Lots of our customers run a 3.27 Ford Racing gear, which seems to work perfectly.

Hope this helps some, let me know if you have any other questions!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Would you recommend a cusyom dyno tune? And if injust Increase the rpm with an sct x3 handheld, will the loopyness become more subtle?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I got the hotrod cams rights now. Love the lope. Drives nice. . Sct tuned by bama
Edd204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I also have the hot rod cams, love the loop and is amazing top end. Did install 3.73 gears for more of a low end pull.
Vistablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08mustanggt View Post
Generally, as stated, you do not want a steeper gear with a turbo because the engine will reach your set shift point before the turbo completely spools. While some people want this for traction in 1st and 2nd, generally, 3.55 or better yet, 3.331 or 3.27 would be even better. Again, as already stated.

As for AM's comment, while FRPP cams are absolutely QUALITY cams, the best gains to be had on mild engine builds would be from Detroit Rocker cams. But if you turbo, any cam should do you fine with fine dyno tuning.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT