Twin screw or centri? Need help deciding - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Twin screw or centri? Need help deciding

Ok. I just can't decide which route to go. I understand that twin screws are instant boost and centri make boost at higher rpm. I'm either going kenne bell( seems to be top notch product that makes good hp), edlebrock tvs(I heard its good for street driving ) or vortech

I wanna know From people who actually have supercharged cars how their experiences are driving them . As far as twin screws go , how it's it driving around the city? Is it hard to control with all that power n torque being instant.

Vortech guys. How is it driving around the city? Being that boosts doesn't really kick in untill 3000 Rpm. Do you notice it while city driving? I got 3:73 gears and if any you have them with a vortech is it noticeable when getting into boost sooner?

I really like the kb blower but worried about drivability around the city. The vortech is cheaper and seems like its safer on the engine and the boosts is there If your really need it, but being in the city and most of my driving in city, would i even notice any change? I got a stock internajs and will run under 10 psi untill I decide to get a new block with forged internals.
I got a headers , cams, msd coils , exhaust , 3:73 auto trans , steeda struts and other upgrades.
Also I plan on racing at the track a few times this summer. Other than that mostly drive on weekends. I have other cars for daily driving to work n such.

Your input would greatly help as I just can't decide which is the way to go with out regrets
Edd204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Both owners of either would say theirs is better because they have experience with that type. It all really comes down to what brand you get for reliability and what preferences you have, such as price, what kind of sound or boost in what amount of rpms.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Also if anyone has a roots feel free to share your experience with it ( didn't mention much About it as It seems they are similar In how it delivers power , should have said positive displacement rather than just twin screw )

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

I'm sure they will, but in really wanna know how their experiences are rather than , mine is better than yours. 7g's is Alot of money and i haven't driven a car with either so In having a tough time figuring it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Its understandable. Best thing to do is research like youre doing with this thread. A lot of good advice to be found on this forum. I been researching for about 6 months, chose the three most used and suggested sc's, crunched some numbers to which id overall come cheaper and finally decided to go with kb. I Ill be ordering in the next few months when i get some time off to install.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thx. Yea done so much research, figured this forum would be good place to get some direct answers. Congrads on the kb. They nice looking blowers. I'm leaning towards that aswell. Gotta make my mind up by June ( which ill have enough $ by then )

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

Or I should say congrads on being able to get one soon lol. It's late n this iPhone screen seems to be getting smaller n smaller
Old 04-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks lol and yeah it was a good idea to get specific answers on here, thats what these forums are here for. Good luck on whatever sc you choose. Whichever one i doubt you'll be disappointed
Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
i like my vortech v3. very good street mannerisms i forget its supercharged somtimes lol. twin screws make a **** ton of torque downlow but also suffer from alot of heats soak. centri's dont have as much of a issue with heat soak but like you said dont make boost till 3k.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Thanks lol and yeah it was a good idea to get specific answers on here, thats what these forums are here for. Good luck on whatever sc you choose. Whichever one i doubt you'll be disappointed
Thx. When researching the kb. What did you find about its reliability ? Can't seem to find much. Most info I have found is old from years back.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Aside from the awesome whine lol, the Twin Screw is usually faster even if peak numbers are equal vs the Centri because it produces and holds the HP from start to finish. So as you WOT row through your gears you are making power 100% . The power band is thorough.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Do you think having 3:73 would be ok? Or would i have to change my gears maybe to stock gears which I think we're 3:55
Old 04-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I have a Kenne Bell 2.1 intercooled on my 2003 GT with 3.73 gears. Driving around town is not much different from when I didn't have a supercharger, of course until you step on the gas and the tires start smokin. Not only did I gain some serious horsepower l also gained about 7 more miles per gallon.
redfire2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire2003 View Post
I have a Kenne Bell 2.1 intercooled on my 2003 GT with 3.73 gears. Driving around town is not much different from when I didn't have a supercharger, of course until you step on the gas and the tires start smokin. Not only did I gain some serious horsepower l also gained about 7 more miles per gallon.
That's good to know man. I'm definatly leaning towards that kb. 2.6l stage 1.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Kenne Bell is quality. Period.

As for gears, steep gears are not automatically bad, just more difficult to get traction is all. Nothing that can't be remedied by learning your car. I have 4.10s and would never switch them out.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have driven and installed both kinds of superchargers. If you like instant power, right from idle, go with the screw-type s/c. The Kenne Bell is a great unit, as is the TVS from Roush, and the Whipples are first rate. We have a Paxton NOVI 2200 on our '06, and we love it. The Pax makes a great sound even at idle, and makes 476 HP at the tires on a stingy dyno. The driveablity is great- drives like a stock Mustang until you mash the throttle. We got the kit from Brenspeed, who I adamantly reccommend. The kit was perfect, and the after-sale support has been fantastic!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd204 View Post

Thx. When researching the kb. What did you find about its reliability ? Can't seem to find much. Most info I have found is old from years back.
I had pm's from three different people each saying they had 0 problems since install and one was going over stock internals limits and he had it for 3 years now with dyno papers to prove it. Only problem i heard was one person said he left it sitting for a couple months and wondered why the internal lubricants werent functioning properly.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Well reliability of the SC is second to the tune itself. EVERY sc is equally as unreliable if tuned improperly. When pushing or nearing stock limits the tune becomes number one priority.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
Well reliability of the SC is second to the tune itself. EVERY sc is equally as unreliable if tuned improperly. When pushing or nearing stock limits the tune becomes number one priority.
+1
Old 04-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yea totally agree with that. I would be getting a good safe tune for it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT