A/C question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
A/C question

Quick question, I have notice that when outside temperature is below 79 degrees the AC works good, blows cold air all the time. The problem is when outside temperature is above 80degrees or hotter the cold air only last for about 3 min and then it just blow hot air and no more cold air... This only happens if outside temperature is really hot and I need the AC working....
Is there a fix to this, what should I check... This weekend I'm changing my cabin filter...
Any advice or suggestions truly appreciated.
Oh I have an 06gt
Jayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjay View Post
Quick question, I have notice that when outside temperature is below 79 degrees the AC works good, blows cold air all the time. The problem is when outside temperature is above 80degrees or hotter the cold air only last for about 3 min and then it just blow hot air and no more cold air... This only happens if outside temperature is really hot and I need the AC working....
Is there a fix to this, what should I check... This weekend I'm changing my cabin filter...
Any advice or suggestions truly appreciated.
Oh I have an 06gt
You're low on freon and probably have a leak.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I was thinking about a leak too but I ask a few mechanics and they told me if I had a leak I wouldn't have cold air. Since when it's just warm outside the AC works perfect the hole time and when it's really hot 80 degrees or more its only cold for just a few minutes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was thinking about a leak too but I ask a few mechanics and they told me if I had a leak I wouldn't have cold air. Since when it's just warm outside the AC works perfect the hole time and when it's really hot 80 degrees or more its only cold for just a few minutes...
Maybe it just needs freon. What year is your car? I have an 07 in Texas and have not had a problem yet. I know cars need some every now and then.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It's an 06 gt premium
Old 05-15-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's an 06 gt premium
It could just need some freon. That would be cheapest thing is have it filled with freon. But if there's a leak you lose it.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
you could try the dye test. that'll give you the location of the leak if you have one.
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Most auto AC shops offer a free inspection and test. Take advantage of this and have the system checked out and diagnosed. Then you'll know what is wrong and can fix it yourself if you have the proper tools, or have it corrected.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Love how everyone's answer is always freon! Not saying its not it but I am an Ac tech for residential and commercial units and every job I go to the customer will always say its probably just freon! There are several things that go go wrong and by your symptoms if it really does work perfect when it's below a certain temp, and it's cold cold not jut cool then you refrigerant is most likely good...does your compressor run when it's hot outside? Literally check it under the hood
gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqsmash View Post
Love how everyone's answer is always freon! Not saying its not it but I am an Ac tech for residential and commercial units and every job I go to the customer will always say its probably just freon! There are several things that go go wrong and by your symptoms if it really does work perfect when it's below a certain temp, and it's cold cold not jut cool then you refrigerant is most likely good...does your compressor run when it's hot outside? Literally check it under the hood
Love how an AC tech thinks he knows everything about AC systems.
Freon, it's what we know about AC.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Not once did I say I knew everything about Ac...I just work in the field and know most people will always blame refrigerant, why because like you said that's what most know about Ac...it's just like when someone try's to tell you stuff about your mustang that has no clue, it's just humor you get from their ignorance. That's how it is for me when I go to people's home and there ignorance shines through! And before you think I'm being rude by saying people are ignorant make sure your definition is up to speed...hope this didn't come out like I'm angry or argumentative
Old 05-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqsmash View Post
Not once did I say I knew everything about Ac...I just work in the field and know most people will always blame refrigerant, why because like you said that's what most know about Ac...it's just like when someone try's to tell you stuff about your mustang that has no clue, it's just humor you get from their ignorance. That's how it is for me when I go to people's home and there ignorance shines through! And before you think I'm being rude by saying people are ignorant make sure your definition is up to speed...hope this didn't come out like I'm angry or argumentative
I was just kidding.
You made me realize how funny it is to always think its Freon. I never thought of it from your perspective. It's like when someone says their car won't start, the first question is not 'is there gas in it'. It's great to have someone reply that actually understands the whole AC system.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Hahaha exactly!! Shoot i thought youd think i was being an a hole about! I'd like to help the op but still no reply from him yet!
Old 05-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys, I will need to check if the compressor is running when it gets hot outside... I will also try to look around for those free AC diagnostics but so far have not seen any, maybe as we get closer to summer shops will advertise free tests to get more customers in.
Once again thank you all and will wait for another hot day to look under the hood to check the compressor.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Right on! It's rare on cars but I did know a guy with a diesel and his high pressure switch would cut his compressor off randomly, reasons for that switch to open is obviously high pressure but caused by a dirty condenser or not enough air flow through the condenser....and I have seen high pressure sensors go bad but cars seem to be better at them lasting. Another check you might do is see how cold your air is coming out when it is working
Old 05-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks gqsmash;

I'm planning to replace the cabin air filter and also buying some kind a cleaning spray to clean the condenser and any other AC part that might need a quick clean.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I have just found that I have a leak in my a/c, how do I fix it
Depack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Find the leak and replace what's leaking
Old 07-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #19

Region: Alabama
I have a leak on right floor board passenger front. Is that an easy fix.
Mona is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT