Check charging systems light? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Check charging systems light?

Okay so I had the notorious cam shaft sensor check engine light code pop up on my 2005 mustang gt, so after changing the sensor twice I stumbled upon an article how the alternator can be the problem. A few days after reading that article my car lost power while driving and the battery would not charge. All this being said I baught a new alternator and swapped it out as well as a new serpentine belt (since I had to take off the belt to change the alternator anyways I figured I might as well change it.) Now with the new alternator in, the battery keeps a charge fine, I took my car to my local autozone and they said the battery and alternator are working fine, however my car is saying "check charging system" and my battery light is on?

So now I'm stumped lol, anyone know what the problem could be?
Les 05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Might be your battery, sometimes those readers don't read the battery right. I had a similar problem, tested it those at autozone and they said it was good. Took it to dealer a oil change and they to me the battery was bad, had the battery light and charging system pop up constantly. Sure was the battery once they put in a new one lights never came back...
Try swapping the battery from another car temporally and see if that works do you won't have to buy a new battery if your battery Is really good
Jayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjay View Post
Might be your battery, sometimes those readers don't read the battery right. I had a similar problem, tested it those at autozone and they said it was good. Took it to dealer a oil change and they to me the battery was bad, had the battery light and charging system pop up constantly. Sure was the battery once they put in a new one lights never came back...
Try swapping the battery from another car temporally and see if that works do you won't have to buy a new battery if your battery Is really good
Just went to advanced auto parts and had them test it, they said the battery failed so I Baught a new one and its still on, I'm thinking next trip is to the dealer maybe? The guy there said I might just have to clear the codes in a different way? I'm lost lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #4

UPDATE: Just went and exchanged the alternator in hopes that I was sold a bad alternator, but no the lights still on. Still lost lol, any ideas would be much appreciated
Old 06-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #5

Region: Ohio
my 2008 gt wont start but i jump it and it runs. it wont sit there and run though it dies, i didnt have a light come on but i feel like it s similiar problem. i have no clue.
hylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Hylite that sounds like your alternator
Jayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Hi Les 05 gt did you check fuse no= 43 (10a) in the fuse box under the hood. What's the code no from p.c.m

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130624_095601.png
Views:	502
Size:	482.7 KB
ID:	115386
montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I'm sorry to hear you having issues with your Stang. Though I am happy to see I'm not the only one! I've been dealing with a very similar issue for over a year now. My battery light is always on. If I leave my car parked for 2 or 3 days the battery dies. The guys at both Autozone and my local dealer told me the battery is F-ed up. "It may be the alternator." "It may be the wiring." "It may be the battery." No one gave me a straight answer. Went out bought a higher performance alternator and a better more expensive battery. "Check charging system" and battery light are still on even after a year, but I never had an issue again.
TFH_Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Hi TFH Famine In my 05 l had to change the battery 4 times 26 t km 50 77 103,000km.They just dont hold a charge after 25,000km.But never had ligth on.I have 109,000km shoud be good for the summer.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well how old is your battery and what is the year length on your battery ?
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Last one 1year old.ford btx 40r. Use car march to nov.Unplug for winter. I do have compustar two way alarm
Old 06-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Hi Les 05 gt did you check fuse no= 43 (10a) in the fuse box under the hood. What's the code no from p.c.m
First of thanks for the reply =D. But I haven't tried the fuse, the code is cleared but my car says check charging system and it idles funny now too. It sounds like it runs almost all the way down too dead then the rpm's rev up again, This happens every couple minutes. I changed the alternator twice and the battery and it cleared the check engine light but now it's saying check charging system/battery light is on and idles weird ( I also tried following the Manuel instructions how to match the new battery with the cars system so it idles right but it's been a months now and still sounds horrible) do you think the fuse could still be the problem here?
Old 06-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Are all the connections good? No corrosion on the connectors ?
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post
Are all the connections good? No corrosion on the connectors ?
Nope I cleaned them all hoping that was a simple fix =\ lol
Old 06-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

LES05GT I really dont now but easy to check with test light or volt meter. Is bat charging ok. The fuse is for A circuit 35 OG/LB wire color.This is from ford w.s.m About the idle do you have a tune. Clean the maf sensor and check for vacuum leak.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130624_142246.png
Views:	370
Size:	542.8 KB
ID:	115423
Old 09-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #16

Region: Oregon
Did you ever get this fixed? My charging system light has been coming off and on, and I've had the battery replaced twice, and the alternator replaced but the light keeps coming on. The volts read 13.5-14.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Dallas723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

From what I hear its the same problem im having mine started after I replaced my alternator my mechanic said its the alternator probably has a different regulator im sure he is right since we put on an alternator that was for a 1998 crown vic lol but ive heard that auto zone/orilleys have issues with there alternator even there so called "new"ones tgey may work but if you open them up its the wrong regulator in them my suggestion is by a sr, pa or tuff stuff alternator. Im buying one this week ill up date if it works

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 02:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM ----------

Soory I meant module not regulator

509pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:52 AM   #18

Region: Oregon
Once I get some extra cash on hand I'll look into it! Everything works fine, but that code seems to keep popping up. Let me know if you see any changes!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Dallas723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:47 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yea everything works fine on my car to except the battery light is on and that annoying check charging system is o tge display. Ill deff let you guys know what happens seems like a common problem

509pony is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT