Brake/Rear end squeak?!?!?! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Brake/Rear end squeak?!?!?!

Hey guys, I have a squeak coming from what sounds lile my passenger side rear brakes. When I drive it squeaks quite a bit but quitely while in the car but quite loud outside the car. When I use the brake lightly (just tapping the brake gently) it squeaks louder and faster but while I push the brake hard, it stops completely until I start driving again or let off the brake a bit. Also, when I turn left or right, it squeaks louder, especially when im going around a long bend and the car turns in a constant motion. What could this be?! Low pads? Shims hitting the rotor?! I need it gone! Its so embarrassing and annoying! I recorded the sound so take a listen and all help is appreciated!!! Thanks guys!

08mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Maybe the rotor is warped or one of the pads is worn more than the other. You can try adjusting the emergency brake cable tension also. Maybe stuck a bit?
Check your lugnuts to make sure they are tight as well so the wheel is rotating true. Im no expert, just throwing out suggestions for you.
MavyMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavyMav View Post
Maybe the rotor is warped or one of the pads is worn more than the other. You can try adjusting the emergency brake cable tension also. Maybe stuck a bit?
Check your lugnuts to make sure they are tight as well so the wheel is rotating true. Im no expert, just throwing out suggestions for you.
Thanks Mavy! The lugs are tight because I just got new wheels and checked them multiple times. It did it before and after the new wheels and rims. I dont think its e-brake because the sensors not going off and its worse when touching the brakes. So I figure it must be something to do with a brake assembly (rotors, pads, lines, etc) if the pad was low, would it cause this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08mustanggt View Post

Thanks Mavy! The lugs are tight because I just got new wheels and checked them multiple times. It did it before and after the new wheels and rims. I dont think its e-brake because the sensors not going off and its worse when touching the brakes. So I figure it must be something to do with a brake assembly (rotors, pads, lines, etc) if the pad was low, would it cause this?
There are small metal tabs that will hit the rotor when the pad has gotten too low, causing a squealing noise. But it is usually more constant. In your case it sounds like the tab is only coming into contact at certain points of the rotor, which makes me think the rotor is slightly warped. Another option could be a stuck caliper. I would definitely check the brakes out first considering you can make the sound when hitting the brakes.

How long have you had the rims? I think I recall there being a clip on the studs that can interfere with non-factory wheels too. This clip is not required and can be taken off with no problem. It is only used for assembly purposes when the car was built.
MavyMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Had an aftermarket pair before these, only had originals on for a bit after having it. How do you remove that tab? And I think I might pull the caliper on the right rear tomorrow and let it roll and then brake and see if its the caliper, brakes. Etc.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Caliber slides could be worn or un greased, when i did my brakes I redid all the slides, rotors and pads, no noise, smoother ride

Brakemotive is the brand
Highly recommended
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3947981942.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	110034  

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I am having a similar problem except mine squeaks more on bumps, but when I apply the brake, even a little bit it stops. It's so annoying.
IIAMSTARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
hey buddy i had the same exact problem with my car it happened after an accident i ended up hitting a curb with the back tire no physical damage i checked out the car it rides beautifully and nothing except the squeeking noise from the back brake it mainly happened when i ligtly tapped on the brakes ... i finally had time to take the breakes apart and see if i could fix it .... i took it apart and nothing seemed to be wrong i put back together and tightened everything down and put back together and its not making the noise now from that side of the car ! idk maybe i didnt notice something i fixed by accident but it works now !
dozer 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Same noise

I know this post is old, however I have a 2014 mustang v6 MT and am getting the same noise from the driver rear wheel. Did you ever figure out what this was?
4lexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:41 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Hey guys. I have a 13' GT and I have the same issue as well except mine makes a constant squeaking noise. It is so annoying and embarrasing to me as well and I want it fixed so bad so I was wondering if anyone was able to pinpoint the exact problem that is causing it so I can go ahead and fix it. I do not really want to replace the pads and rotors right now because they are still in good shape but if I have to to get rid of the squeak I just might. I constantly put lube on the clips and that stops it for a brief amount of time but then after a few days it comes right back. I did install aftermarket rims so maybe that clip on the studs is causing the issue but my rims are the same dimensions as my stock ones were. Hopefully someone can help me with this issue cause it bothers me so much. Thanks for your help guys.
AP5496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #11
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I had a speed sensitive squeak that would go away with a light application of the brake. I ended up having a bent axle I found it by measuring run out to axle hub with rims/brake disc removed. I had .013 on bad side and .003 on good. My sound would go away with lubing of the calipers for a month or two but would come back. I got mine axle replaced under wtty
Old 08-09-2015, 07:54 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP5496 View Post
Hey guys. I have a 13' GT and I have the same issue as well except mine makes a constant squeaking noise. It is so annoying and embarrasing to me as well and I want it fixed so bad so I was wondering if anyone was able to pinpoint the exact problem that is causing it so I can go ahead and fix it. I do not really want to replace the pads and rotors right now because they are still in good shape but if I have to to get rid of the squeak I just might. I constantly put lube on the clips and that stops it for a brief amount of time but then after a few days it comes right back. I did install aftermarket rims so maybe that clip on the studs is causing the issue but my rims are the same dimensions as my stock ones were. Hopefully someone can help me with this issue cause it bothers me so much. Thanks for your help guys.

Do you have stock pads and rotors

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I have stock setup just aftermarket rims but there the same size as my stock rims. I hope it's not an issue with the axle but I don't think it is because I noticed if I press the gas and brake at the same time the squeak will stop and the moment I let off the brakes it will squeak again.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:33 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP5496 View Post
Yes I have stock setup just aftermarket rims but there the same size as my stock rims. I hope it's not an issue with the axle but I don't think it is because I noticed if I press the gas and brake at the same time the squeak will stop and the moment I let off the brakes it will squeak again.

I had the same issue with squeaking. I replaced my stock rotors and pads and noise was gone. Still is and fingers crossed. It's been since April

Old 08-12-2015, 12:24 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I'm 99% sure it's just the way the pads wear I guess. They must not wear right. It's very annoying though and I just cannot stand it anymore so when I change my brakes I guess I'll go with some aftermarket pads instead of the ford pads and hopefully that'll solve the issue. Anyone have any recommendations for aftermarket pads? Thanks guys

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT