Illegal? Smoked tails? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post

Now everyone chimes in.

In IL the tail lights can legally be tinted, just need to be visible for so many feet, it's only a issue if they need something to pull you over for

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 12:24 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post

In IL the tail lights can legally be tinted, just need to be visible for so many feet, it's only a issue if they need something to pull you over for
That makes sense. Texas has it illegal for tinting period. No matter if you can still see them or not.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That makes sense. Texas has it illegal for tinting period. No matter if you can still see them or not.
I had my 01 mustang tail lights tinted for 4-5 months and I live in Texas. No cop ever pulled me over. Now I have my 98 Gt, I plan to tint the tail lights again.
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post

I had my 01 mustang tail lights tinted for 4-5 months and I live in Texas. No cop ever pulled me over. Now I have my 98 Gt, I plan to tint the tail lights again.
I was pulled over a week before the tail light warning for a speeding warning. The cop didn't say anything about my tail lights. It's something they can use to screw with you if they feel like it.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Like I stated at the beginning of this thread, I also had my lights tinted for a long time until I took a road trip down to Austin then I got pulled over by the highway patrol for my tail lights being tinted. I got a fix a ticket. Driving around the DFW no problems. It just depends on the officer.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

I guess. Lol.
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #42
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Interesting comments!

I bought some smoked Raxioms from AM. They looked great on my black car. Then after 9 months I get pulled over, not for speeding, for for my taillights. He said they were tinted and therefore illegal.
Then when I complained about it in this forum, I get a bunch of, we'll you should know that already and AM admitted that they are pretty much illegal everywhere.
So now you suggest them. You really should have a comment on your web site that they may be illegal in most states. I probably would have still bought them and taken a chance, but I would been informed that I was taking a chance.
Aggiesrok,

I'm sorry if I aggravated you in anyway, that was not my intention. I did suggest the smoked Raxiom tail lights to the OP, since they look awesome and he's already interested. However, I did not say they were legal nor hint it. If anything, I hinted they were technically illegal, by saying...

"As others mentioned above, usually you're okay as long as you're driving is reasonable. Most of our AM cars have some type of smoked factory or Raxiom tail light and we have never issues getting them inspected or driving around the local roads."

We do encourage that all of our customers check with their local county laws before making any changes to their vehicle, no matter what it is. Unfortunately, law enforcement could technically ticket anyone with any aftermarket change to their motor vehicle. So, it's always wise to check which laws are being strictly enforced in your area/county.

That being said, I'm really sorry for any miscommunication you experienced while ordering your tail lights. We certainly don't want to mislead any of our loyal customers!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post

Aggiesrok,

I'm sorry if I aggravated you in anyway, that was not my intention. I did suggest the smoked Raxiom tail lights to the OP, since they look awesome and he's already interested. However, I did not say they were legal nor hint it. If anything, I hinted they were technically illegal, by saying...

"As others mentioned above, usually you're okay as long as you're driving is reasonable. Most of our AM cars have some type of smoked factory or Raxiom tail light and we have never issues getting them inspected or driving around the local roads."

We do encourage that all of our customers check with their local county laws before making any changes to their vehicle, no matter what it is. Unfortunately, law enforcement could technically ticket anyone with any aftermarket change to their motor vehicle. So, it's always wise to check which laws are being strictly enforced in your area/county.

That being said, I'm really sorry for any miscommunication you experienced while ordering your tail lights. We certainly don't want to mislead any of our loyal customers!

Shane
You didn't upset me. I still buy from you guys. I just think a warning that they may be a problem would be a good idea. Just like nearly everything might be illegal in CA and its labelled. It's not a biggie, I'm over it.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Why are you parked near the carts?!?! Lol

I forgot to hit quote lol it was for eightlives.
stang2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Haha, it was a quick run into homedepot and my girl wanted to see how the taillights came out so I took a picture real fast lol
eightlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have mine tinted and im in california and theres been plenty of cops that have seen it and driven behind me and havent been pulled over. I didnt mess with the reverse light so maybe thats why
tony92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I am a cop in Texas so for the Texas goers here it is!! The tail light must be able to be seen at least 150 ft away and must have a minimum of 60 foot candles! Now as an active police officer I do not have a gauge in my car that can measure that! It comes down to officer judgement at the moment!! Most ******* cops out there generally use this to get probable cause on your vehicle ie... To stop you!!! Which if he can't get you for anything else after he stopped you he will give ya the ticket because he is pissed he couldn't find anything more serious!!! So generally make sure if I am behind you and I can see that the break lights come on I will leave ya alone but there are those that have a hard on to get modded rides!!!
Midnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite View Post
Ok I am a cop in Texas so for the Texas goers here it is!! The tail light must be able to be seen at least 150 ft away and must have a minimum of 60 foot candles! Now as an active police officer I do not have a gauge in my car that can measure that! It comes down to officer judgement at the moment!! Most ******* cops out there generally use this to get probable cause on your vehicle ie... To stop you!!! Which if he can't get you for anything else after he stopped you he will give ya the ticket because he is pissed he couldn't find anything more serious!!! So generally make sure if I am behind you and I can see that the break lights come on I will leave ya alone but there are those that have a hard on to get modded rides!!!
You seem like a cool cop, none of yall around here lol.
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

I go along the with the reality of things! I have and am gonna do far worse then most of the people that mod we are all people and we all make bad judgements or mistakes so I believe in being real about it and treating all like I would hope to be treated!!!
Midnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite View Post
I go along the with the reality of things! I have and am gonna do far worse then most of the people that mod we are all people and we all make bad judgements or mistakes so I believe in being real about it and treating all like I would hope to be treated!!!
+1 definitely need more like you in the panhandle lol
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Got smoked heads and tails. Had for two years not a single pull over in my life
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-770234446.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	517.3 KB
ID:	124102   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-140225787.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	632.8 KB
ID:	124103  

FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

I thought about murdering the tails but I'm afraid some txting jack a$$ won't be paying attention
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black8thElement View Post
I thought about murdering the tails but I'm afraid some txting jack a$$ won't be paying attention
+1111
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post
Got smoked heads and tails. Had for two years not a single pull over in my life
I wish my stang was black... That looks sick!
Calandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill1992 View Post
Mine are DARK I tinted them myself I just had a cop drive behind me for over 6 miles and 5 stoplights through town and he never did anything so...

I've also had people yell at me and cuss me out because they said they couldent see my turn signal

Dude....you're ride is sick!
Old 08-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calandro View Post

I wish my stang was black... That looks sick!
Yeah lol. My gfs gt. was black with stock wheels so we added the bullitts and lights and makes a huge difference. What looks better is contrasts with black like ur yellow. Yellow and black are a bad a$$ combo if done right
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post

Yeah lol. My gfs gt. was black with stock wheels so we added the bullitts and lights and makes a huge difference. What looks better is contrasts with black like ur yellow. Yellow and black are a bad a$$ combo if done right
I'm in the process of blacking out
Calandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
It's like giving the police a pass to pull you over and look for other violations. Police need a probable cause to pull you over and you just give it to them for free. With the tight economy nowadays, citations mean cash flow, especially to Podunk towns.

Every time your pulled over, (in most jurisdictions) they run your license and vehicle. If you got a citation before, it will be on the record.

You may not even be noticed. But these days, when you get a ticket that can follow you for a couple of years, there goes your insurance also. Is it worth it?

NOT WHEN YOU GET TAGGED!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Did mine yesterday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1386688240.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	450.0 KB
ID:	124276  
Torchredfrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchredfrankie View Post
Did mine yesterday
Clean ride bro ...
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black8thElement View Post

Clean ride bro ...
Thanks man!
Torchredfrankie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT