Does Brand Really Matter? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Does Brand Really Matter?

So I've been debating with my co-worker over which exhaust brand is better than the other. And for some reason he claimed that one brand name x pipe is louder than the other which makes no sense. Maybe last longer because of the material it's made of but the sound doesn't change because of it. I may be wrong but the only thing that changes the sound is the muffler, so to say bassani is better than pypes because its louder is wrong but material wise yes. An x pipe is an x pipe they all do the same thing right? so does it matter what brand it is when it comes to sound....
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Brand A might sound different then Brand B

If you look at the xpipes of all the brands they are all kinda different, big sound difference? Probably not, different tho? Ya makes sense

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

See what I mean. Louder? No but different sound ya
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

So it really comes down to preference then, because I was under the impression that SLP's with pypes would sound the same as Bassani or BBK or Pacestter or JBA. I thought the only difference was what material each were made of. I know H and X are different but I thought all X pipes sound the same loud and raspy.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black8thElement View Post
So it really comes down to preference then, because I was under the impression that SLP's with pypes would sound the same as Bassani or BBK or Pacestter or JBA. I thought the only difference was what material each were made of. I know H and X are different but I thought all X pipes sound the same loud and raspy.
The differences between the Xs in sound is hardly noticeable, but will be raspy

Old 05-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
No no no. Brand absolutely plays a part. There are tiers of brands though. Say, certain companies are comparable to others. But factors of a good exhaust component come down to things like fitment, welds, the quality of the metal or composite used, etc. and you're right about the axle backs: difference in sound/tonal quality and drone at consistent RPMs are a measurement of quality.

Anyway, my past experience involved Pypes axlebacks on a '11 GT. They were cheap, but i paid for them with extremely frustrating fitment issues (I had to add 2 hangars for each axle back just to keep the tips centered), horrible drone at 65-70 mph (2200-2500 RPM) and tips that were impossible to keep shined. I'm moving on to Kooks with my '13. Planning on a full system with them in the future!

This is, of course, all my opinion. I care about quality and all of the other things I mentioned. Other people don't mind! As the old verbiage goes, to each his own!

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

Aaaaand I just realized this post is under 05-09. Regardless, the points I mentioned still apply!
Please dear God, protect my sweet ride.

2013 California Specil GT "Tater"
jdemK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Oooooh ok, cuz the whole thing started over how to get the most bang for your buck, and my coworker goes off on spending the most to get the most deal. I was like if their Is a product that is cheaper but serves the same purpose what's the point of spending that much coin. Yes one is 304 or 409 or aluminized but the objective of the pipe is the same so how I one louder than the other. But I do understand more about fitment, and longevity but that's not what we were debating about. I didn't know that The design of the pipe would change the sound, but not the resonance though that's clearly on the muffler
Old 06-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Maybe your coworkers perception of louder is different than yours...to me, different x pipes sound different, some seem louder than others and some sound raspier than others and it doesn't help when they all run different mufflers too..it's all perception and it's tough to argue that. Buy the best products you can afford and like, expensive isn't always the best. I think bassanni sounds like garbage, I will never run anything made by them, others will disagree and that's fine.
dmarq is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT