On3 Turbo is in - Page 26 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:51 AM   #876
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatmustangguy View Post

+1 same here
That's why I'm happy I did the turbo install myself

Now, I have to change the head gasket and I've never worked with a DOHC engine before........sigh.....
08mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 02:52 AM   #877
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08mustanggt View Post
That's why I'm happy I did the turbo install myself Now, I have to change the head gasket and I've never worked with a DOHC engine before........sigh.....
I thought you had a 3v?

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:53 AM   #878
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I thought you had a 3v?
My bad, SOHC haha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 02:55 AM   #879
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
My bad, SOHC haha!
Lol it's good. It's late (technically early) lol

HID end all thread
Old 11-12-2013, 02:59 AM   #880
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Lol it's good. It's late (technically early) lol
I know what you're sayin'! Its 3:59 here and I've got work at 6....lucky me.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:00 AM   #881
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
I know what you're sayin'! Its 3:59 here and I've got work at 6....lucky me.
It's only 1 for me and my first class is at 1:15pm tomorrow lol

HID end all thread
Old 11-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #882
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
a lot of people like me have no choice. I mean my brother can do most things, but like the gears stuff like either people don't have the tools or necessary space to do the work.

That's when you have to take it to a shop. You can read reviews all say online and TRY to choose the right one, but either way your taking a risk leaving your baby in the hands of a stranger ya know?

I wish I could do everything myself but I can't
I hear what you are saying, but too much firsthand/secondhand experience with shops leaves me with the opinion that if you can't do most stuff on these cars yourself you are just setting yourself up to spend way too much money and deal with too much frustration.

If it was me I'd buy a Coyote that can do 11s with bolt ons and call it a day. If one can afford to send a 2V to a shop to get $thousands of work done on it then, IMO, one should be able to afford the payments on a $22k 2011 Coyote or a Termi.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #883
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I hear what you are saying, but too much firsthand/secondhand experience with shops leaves me with the opinion that if you can't do most stuff on these cars yourself you are just setting yourself up to spend way too much money and deal with too much frustration. If it was me I'd buy a Coyote that can do 11s with bolt ons and call it a day. If one can afford to send a 2V to a shop to get $thousands of work done on it then, IMO, one should be able to afford the payments on a $22k 2011 Coyote or a Termi.
Lol you say it sooo casually. Haha
Too bad it doesn't work that way in real life
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #884
Staff
Regular
Staff

Depends what we are talking about. If its just installing a vortech kit and a tune then meh, if its a fully built shortblock/trans/rear/suspension/wheels/tires etc... you are looking at $10k+ easy especially if a shop is doing it.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #885
Road Trip!

Quote:
Depends what we are talking about. If its just installing a vortech kit and a tune then meh, if its a fully built shortblock/trans/rear/suspension/wheels/tires etc... you are looking at $10k+ easy especially if a shop is doing it.
well if you can afford to mod a 2v.. You can afford a termi.. If you can afford a termi. If you can afford a termi you can afford a coyote.. If you can afford a coyote you can afford a Mercedes.. If you can afford a Mercedes you can afford a ford gt.. If you an afford a ford gt you can afford a lambo.. If you can afford a lambo you can afford a Ferrari.. Uh what happened to the 2v??
Old 11-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #886
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol the 2V is there if you don't want or can't afford car payments for something legit fast and buy parts over time and build it as you go. Maybe pay for a gear install and maybe even a cam install but a whole built motor/trans/rear combo and having a shop do it?

Not sure what the OP spent on the fully forged motor and all the goodies to go along with it and the install. I'd be willing to bet he is in for it for a good $12k+ at this point along with the turbo kit...maybe more. Figure $15k for everything. I can't fathom spending that much money and then still having the stock trans...

Granted this is just my opinion and I do think that the 2V and pushrod 5.0s are great for what I said originally. Enjoying it WHILE you build it and doing it over time on a budget. I know not everyone has $22k to drop on a Coyote but when a dude is spending this much money like the OP I can't see a reason in the world not to get the 2011+.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #887
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol the 2V is there if you don't want or can't afford car payments for something legit fast and buy parts over time and build it as you go. Maybe pay for a gear install and maybe even a cam install but a whole built motor/trans/rear combo and having a shop do it?

Not sure what the OP spent on the fully forged motor and all the goodies to go along with it and the install. I'd be willing to bet he is in for it for a good $12k+ at this point along with the turbo kit...maybe more. Figure $15k for everything. I can't fathom spending that much money and then still having the stock trans...

Granted this is just my opinion and I do think that the 2V and pushrod 5.0s are great for what I said originally. Enjoying it WHILE you build it and doing it over time on a budget. I know not everyone has $22k to drop on a Coyote but when a dude is spending this much money like the OP I can't see a reason in the world not to get the 2011+.
But If you want to go on that model, why pay $20-22,000 for a 5.0 and then put another 3k in bolt ons, you can get a new magnum trans for $4, 000, a 460 for $300, new forged internals and stroke to 545 with big cams, good heads and the works for another $7, 000, a fogger nitrous kit for $500, built 9 inch rear end with the works for $3, 000 and a good foxbody shell for $1,500 and you have an 850-900 horsepower monster that weights next to nothing and will run 9's in the quarter all day long and for $16, 000.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #888
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
But If you want to go on that model, why pay $20-22,000 for a 5.0 and then put another 3k in bolt ons, you can get a new magnum trans for $4, 000, a 460 for $300, new forged internals and stroke to 545 with big cams, good heads and the works for another $7, 000, a fogger nitrous kit for $500, built 9 inch rear end with the works for $3, 000 and a good foxbody shell for $1,500 and you have an 850-900 horsepower monster that weights next to nothing and will run 9's in the quarter all day long and for $16, 000.
Sounds good on paper. Guarantee there are $thousands in misc parts left out. Also a dedicated drag big block fox vs a S197 street car is very much apples to oranges.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #889
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sounds good on paper. Guarantee there are $thousands in misc parts left out. Also a dedicated drag big block fox vs a S197 street car is very much apples to oranges.
Or throw in a 351, stroke to 408 and its a filthy street car. Not thousands, couple hundred or 1k
Old 11-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #890
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Or throw in a 351, stroke to 408 and its a filthy street car. Not thousands, couple hundred or 1k
Depends on who is doing the work and what parts are used which is where I've been going with this thread. A 408 from one of the best builders in the country is $8200 before shipping and then if you are getting it installed factor in that price on top of it.

Again, there are other factors. I personally do not want the car payment/insurance but like I said if this guy is dropping this much money on forging a 3V you'd figure he could sell it and add that money he just spent to equal a Coyote.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #891
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Depends on who is doing the work and what parts are used which is where I've been going with this thread. A 408 from one of the best builders in the country is $8200 before shipping and then if you are getting it installed factor in that price on top of it.

Again, there are other factors. I personally do not want the car payment/insurance but like I said if this guy is dropping this much money on forging a 3V you'd figure he could sell it and add that money he just spent to equal a Coyote.
I'll take a Coyote.....
randy5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #892
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Alright guys, it seems as though the WORST is over. I'm ready to make my closing comments on this kit.

It is a nice kit, for the price you pay. $2500 for the kit. But you really do get what you pay for. The biggest drawback back is the fitment and installation process. It is way more complex and frustrating to install than a helion. The 70mm standard turbo included with the kit is ok, but ANY better brand turbo would be an upgrade. The welds and bends on all the piping sucks compared to higher end kits. If you don't have a huge budget you really shouldn't be getting a turbo at all, but if you do then this will be a nice BEGINEER kit. But if you have the coin don't hesitate to get a helion.

This is based solely on my troubles and conflicts with the KIT. Not the motor, which was blown due to human error not the turbo. All others problems I faced that you read about were either tune related, engine related or cause of the 1st motor being blown. Turbo runs and spools just fine, dyno numbers are low but I'm 70‰ sure that is tune related also.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

And after this whole experience, I'm out of around maybe $12, 000. Be careful about who you take your car to should be the moral to this thread. Not the kit.
thatmustangguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #893
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Alright guys, it seems as though the WORST is over. I'm ready to make my closing comments on this kit.

It is a nice kit, for the price you pay. $2500 for the kit. But you really do get what you pay for. The biggest drawback back is the fitment and installation process. It is way more complex and frustrating to install than a helion. The 70mm standard turbo included with the kit is ok, but ANY better brand turbo would be an upgrade. The welds and bends on all the piping sucks compared to higher end kits. If you don't have a huge budget you really shouldn't be getting a turbo at all, but if you do then this will be a nice BEGINEER kit. But if you have the coin don't hesitate to get a helion.

This is based solely on my troubles and conflicts with the KIT. Not the motor, which was blown due to human error not the turbo. All others problems I faced that you read about were either tune related, engine related or cause of the 1st motor being blown. Turbo runs and spools just fine, dyno numbers are low but I'm 70‰ sure that is tune related also.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

And after this whole experience, I'm out of around maybe $12, 000. Be careful about who you take your car to should be the moral to this thread. Not the kit.
Still no vid lol
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #894
Staff
Regular
Staff

[QUOTE=thatmustangguy;1855819And after this whole experience, I'm out of around maybe $12, 000. Be careful about who you take your car to should be the moral to this thread. Not the kit.[/QUOTE]

Nailed it in post #886. $12k.

And thanks for the review on the On3 kit. The welds are definitely not as good as a Hellion, you can see that simply from the pics of their kits floating around the interwebs but they aren't BAD welds either. I've seen BAD welds and the On3 stuff will hold just fine. At least it should. If not it isn't like its horrible to pay someone with some good welding skillz to clean it up honestly. Just don't take it to any of the shops you've been going to lol.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #895
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post
Still no vid lol

Not sure why no video or pictures. If I had that kind of money in mine I would rent a billboard to show everyone.
randy5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #896
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
On a side note...one of the new turbos for the tt cobra is apparently at the sema show. He was told it should be back tues. Josh is out hunting...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #897
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
On a side note...one of the new turbos for the tt cobra is apparently at the sema show. He was told it should be back tues. Josh is out hunting...
I hate josh, he wanted to charge me $510 to hook up two guages, just two freakin guages
Old 11-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #898
Registered Member
Regular

Told you guys it was all one big fat LIE!!! He has no videos. It was for attention. Ohh well it fun while it lasted.
Torchredfrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #899
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchredfrankie View Post
Told you guys it was all one big fat LIE!!! He has no videos. It was for attention. Ohh well it fun while it lasted.
Oh
Old 11-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #900
Road Trip!

Quote:
Oh
can we at least get a shot of under the hood? Interior? Anything lol
Old 11-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #901
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
can we at least get a shot of under the hood? Interior? Anything lol
Lol he did do a engine shot a while back
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #902
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
Lol he did do a engine shot a while back
he can take like 50 pics and put them together in a sequence to make a video
Old 11-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #903
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I want a video just as bad as everyone else! Just waiting for OP to find the time. I know i don't even have the time to take a pic of my car atm
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #904
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by White03GT View Post
I want a video just as bad as everyone else! Just waiting for OP to find the time. I know i don't even have the time to take a pic of my car atm
There's always time lol
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #905
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy5128 View Post
Not sure why no video or pictures. If I had that kind of money in mine I would rent a billboard to show everyone.
Well he didn't exactly plan on putting that much money Into it lol

HID end all thread
Old 11-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #906
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
The car and build are legit.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #907
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I have been following this build since the start and I'm upset by the lack of pics and vids. :/ Oh well. I'm still excited that the car is sorta running. It's been a long and painful process. I really have been rooting for you, OP! As my build hits the last stretch I can only imagine the excitement you feel. I've been feeling the same excitement for my build for months.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #908
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy5128 View Post
Well he didn't exactly plan on putting that much money Into it lol

HID end all thread
Old 11-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #909
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
The car and build are legit.
Video? Pics??
Torchredfrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #910
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm not saying we've been trolled but it really is suspicious in this day and age of every 12 yr old having a smartphone that there are no pics or vids.

And I still say he'd have been much better off making the first shop replace the 3V, sell it and buy a Coyote but that's just me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT