On3 Turbo is in - Page 34 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2015, 04:57 AM   #1156
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I was putting out around 440 hp and 500 tq. It lasted about a year and a half

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thatmustangguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2015, 05:07 AM   #1157
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Dang that sucks. Do you know what caused it to let go?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:08 AM   #1158
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I came across this thread and decided to go back to page 1 and do some reading.

I'll start by saying I know nothing of this kit. But from what I read several people stated it wasn't the greatest quality kit and had a higher chance of failure. Those people were bashed for being "haters". Fast forward to now and they were on the right track and predicted this result. It's a shame when someone offers sound advice and gets flack for it. Nothing against the OP, but in this case I think those people giving the "haters" a hard time and driving them from the thread did not do any favors for the OP. Again I don't know anything about on3, but I'd be super leary of installing a sub 3k kit on my vehicles. That being said you were not very clear on how it blew up, but based on your post I'm assuming it was the turbos fault.

Moving on. Thatmustangguy, did you have fun for the time it lasted? I'm sure it wasn't pleasant having it blow up, but if you enjoyed it and replacing the motor doesn't hurt you financially or emotionally then I still call that a win. You got experience and I'm sure that will aid you in future builds.

I am curious as to how it blew up. What psi we're you running? Do you have any pictures to share with us? And what are your plans going forward? Will you go FI again, and if so will you stay with a turbo setup, or go the supercharged route?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2015, 07:21 AM   #1159
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
On3 sorted out their QC issues a long time ago. Not sure exactly when the OP bought the kit and not going to go back and read the whole thing but 440/500 on the stock rods to the wheels is probably why it failed, not the turbo kit. Or it was the tune, or it was a badly selected fuel system. Could have been a bunch of things.

There are ppl with Coyotes running 9s with On3 kits right out of the box. The only reason you might be "leary" about a $3k turbo kit is because 1 - Kits like the Hellion are stupid STUPID overpriced and 2- $3k is just for the kit, there is other stuff you have to buy (which On3 sells) that brings it up at or near the $5k mark.

TBTH, On3 did start off with some problems but that was right at the beginning and they had a really bad employee working for them that caused issues too until they got rid of him. But its to the point now where its simply a waste of money to go with anyone else in turbo land.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #1160
Registered Member
Regular

It wasn't on a stock block, it was a cobra block fully forged from MMR. The shop I took it to say the motor could be fixed but I don't wanna take the chance of a repeat so I'm going in the direction of all bolt on's.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:15 AM   #1161
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well what caused the blow up then? Also if it was from MMR that might be the entire reason there... would not be the first time one of his motors has let go on someone.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #1162
Registered Member
Regular

The mechanic said the motor swallowed a valve, probably wasn't from the turbo but I experienced all kinds of issues with oil leaks, inconsistent boost power, and other issues. I'm just glad to have it all removed. Too much of a headache.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #1163
Staff
Regular
Staff

Welcome to the wonderful world of common MMR experience I guess. Properly built and tuned you should have not had any issues. And no, the turbo would cause valve issues like that.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #1164
Registered Member
Regular

Yea maybe, I'm just gonna stick to staying naturally aspirated from now on.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #1165
Registered Member
Regular

Ouch. Yeah an incident like that would have me shy away from future boosted builds.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #1166
Staff
Regular
Staff

No, just shy away from shops that care more about how many engines they sell then actually making damn sure they are built correctly. The model to follow with a performance engine shop is Fordstrokers who has 2 master mechanics hand building motors and however long it takes to do it right is how long it takes. This is why it takes up to 4 months form the time you order a Fordstrokers motor for them to even start on it. But what you get is amazing. Too bad they don't do modulars but oh well.

Vs a place like MMR that has a bunch of swinging dicks building motors as fast as possible. The 4.6L is actually a GREAT motor for boost, better than the pushrod by a lot as far as that goes. When one blows up at a power level not even close to what it was built for its the tune or the builder. Because a forged 4.6L should be reliable at well over 500ft lbs at the wheels. That's actually a very low number for a turbo 4.6L.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:46 AM   #1167
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Classic MMR.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #1168
Registered Member
Regular

Lol at some of the comments. "Wouldn't put a sub 3k kit on my car" ect. Shhhhhhhhh you have no clue what your talking about.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #1169
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Classic MMR.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
MMR=Might Make Raceday

Old 08-28-2015, 12:11 PM   #1170
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I was gonna get an MMR block for the Kenne Bell I'm saving for 😐. What other company would you guys recommend for a built block?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2013 Mustang GT Auto [Ruby!] Pypes Super Catback system, RTR Shocks/Struts, SR Lowering Springs, SVE Series 3 rims, GT/CS spoiler, RTR chin spoiler, JBA H pipe, Eibach LCA, SR panhard bar...Vortech JT Trim coming soon
KP_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #1171
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Lol at some of the comments. "Wouldn't put a sub 3k kit on my car" ect. Shhhhhhhhh you have no clue what your talking about.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Obviously I dont. That was made clear by me saying so in the post. Pay attention please before responding.

But I'd be interested to hear what kit in that range you feel is a quality setup. I've not heard of one, but if one exists I have a few buddies that would be interestes in knowing.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #1172
Registered Member
Regular

The on3 kit is a quality kit.
Keep going on what you heard.

Unless you have dealt with them personally I don't want to hear anything.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #1173
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP_510 View Post
I was gonna get an MMR block for the Kenne Bell I'm saving for . What other company would you guys recommend for a built block?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Hit up some local Mustang clubs or shows and talk to ppl who have built engines and see what they say for something local. And just don't go on the first thing you hear, there are going to be 2 or 3 really ****ty shops for every one good one.

If not, check out MHS. They build to order vs just churning out generic builds and Nick actually knows wtf he is doing.

Short Blocks

Old 08-29-2015, 11:08 AM   #1174
Staff
Regular
Staff

And..... thread got bad.

Everyone can plz calm down or I'll just close it.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:23 AM   #1175
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine
I can't believe this thread and the bad experience the OP has had. Actually I can't believe I read this entire thread in two short sittings. I just kept rooting for him to have a great ride! I would have lost my mind a long time ago, beat up the first guy, totaled the shop of the next guy...etc... I've had SC mustangs before, it's all fun while it lasts. My last one spun a rod bearing. I now have a a nice 2010, and I'm staying NA. I'll sellte for 385 HP and reliability. But Ive had a lot of experience and for those of you who have read the entire thread. Im 54 not 35!!! Hahaha!!!

Thank you so much for your service that mustangguy! Hang in there guys and girls, keep pushing these cars to the limit! We can all learn, and the parts makers can learn too.
Jim
Old 09-09-2015, 11:40 AM   #1176
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRob27 View Post
I can't believe this thread and the bad experience the OP has had. Actually I can't believe I read this entire thread in two short sittings. I just kept rooting for him to have a great ride! I would have lost my mind a long time ago, beat up the first guy, totaled the shop of the next guy...etc... I've had SC mustangs before, it's all fun while it lasts. My last one spun a rod bearing. I now have a a nice 2010, and I'm staying NA. I'll sellte for 385 HP and reliability. But Ive had a lot of experience and for those of you who have read the entire thread. Im 54 not 35!!! Hahaha!!!

Thank you so much for your service that mustangguy! Hang in there guys and girls, keep pushing these cars to the limit! We can all learn, and the parts makers can learn too.
Jim
Yet another happy MMR customer unfortunately. They are to mod motors what DSS was to pushrods in the 2000s. High output with little quality control unlike a good builder that is build to order and there is a waitlist.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #1177
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine
Well, live and learn. I really feel bad for the OP. If I were going to buy a built motor, I would only trust a few shops. Ford Strokers , Benspeed, or Shrader performance. I know there are other good shops but these are the ones I know.

I hope whatever thatmustangguy gets next treats him a lot better. Don't make the same choices, and go for quality parts.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #1178

Region: Washington
These nuts are hard to remove

Sent from my SM-N910V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
motu360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT