Having some seriously frustrating issues. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #1

Region: Oregon
Having some seriously frustrating issues.

I just bought an 05 Mustang GT. When I bought it, the check engine light was on and for code P0340. I replaced both cam sensors, and the alternator as it was the original alternator. I don't have a check engine light on anymore, but I still have an issue.

Basically, when I first start up the car it runs great and has plenty of power. Once it warms up though, I will be coming to a stop and it will start massively misfiring. I will get moving again and at about 2500 rpm's the misfire will stop and the engine runs perfect again.

Also, I pulled the valve covers off and the cam phasers are both tight. I don't know if that is the correct way to test them, but there is no play in them. When the misfiring starts, it also sometimes stalls.

I am supposed to make a 300 mile trip on Wednesday and don't want to risk it if I cannot figure out what is going on.

I would really appreciate some help here.
marshkyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
5 speed or Auto?
Zaks06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshkyl View Post
I just bought an 05 Mustang GT. When I bought it, the check engine light was on and for code P0340. I replaced both cam sensors, and the alternator as it was the original alternator. I don't have a check engine light on anymore, but I still have an issue.

Basically, when I first start up the car it runs great and has plenty of power. Once it warms up though, I will be coming to a stop and it will start massively misfiring. I will get moving again and at about 2500 rpm's the misfire will stop and the engine runs perfect again.

Also, I pulled the valve covers off and the cam phasers are both tight. I don't know if that is the correct way to test them, but there is no play in them. When the misfiring starts, it also sometimes stalls.

I am supposed to make a 300 mile trip on Wednesday and don't want to risk it if I cannot figure out what is going on.

I would really appreciate some help here.
How many miles? Does it have a tune or original? Are the plugs original? Sometimes the original two piece plugs can crack and cause misfiring.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
what if any modifications are done ?
and and and I DRIVE IT LIKE I STOLE IT !!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K_QJ...ure=plcp<br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWfvYVYlfio&feature=plcp
Sirtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #5

The car is an automatic, and completely stock. I have no history on the car, other then the timing chain assembly was replaced. The car has 177k on it.

So if the plugs are original, which they could easily be, is it common to run perfect then all of a sudden start misfiring intermittently?

~Kyle
Old 07-02-2013, 12:38 AM   #6

Also when the car act's up, if I pull coil plugs one by one, there are at least 3 that do nothing.

~Kyle
Old 07-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshkyl View Post
Also when the car act's up, if I pull coil plugs one by one, there are at least 3 that do nothing.

~Kyle
The plugs ceramic breaks and cause a misfire. But it might be coil packs that are bad. Switch a good for bad and see if the problem moves or gets worse. Also you may want to check the plugs. If they break you can get them out with a special tool. There's a special way to remove them, also.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #8

I'll check again tomorrow to confirm this, but I am pretty sure the coils that stop getting power are completely random. Like I said though, I'll confirm this tomorrow.

I plan on getting plugs tomorrow as well. NAPA has the rental tool so, i'll probably grab that as well.

~Kyle
Old 07-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #9

I think I found the problem. I pulled both valve covers and then the VCT solenoids, and found the drivers side to have 60% of the screen missing/falling apart.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #10

Quick update... I installed a new VCT solenoid on the driver side, but still once I drive the car and it is fully warmed up for a good 20 minutes or so, if I come to a stop it starts misfiring. I only have code p0022 - (over-retarded timing).

If I shut the car off and wait a few seconds and restart it, the misfire is gone, but as soon as I give the car any throttle then come back to idle it's back to misfiring.

Someone please give me some ideas here!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT