difference between 3.55 and 4.10 gears - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
difference between 3.55 and 4.10 gears

Looking for people with experience with 4.10 gears. What does it feel like when steppig on the throttle? How short are 1st and 2nd gear? Is 4.10s too steep for a turbo? What would be the problems with having 4.10s with a turbo if any? Does the size of turbo make any difference? (67 mm or 73mm)? Any imput is appreciated guys!
08mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Id go 3.55 or 3.73 if you're doing f/i otherwise you'll pretty much have no 1st or 2nd
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Yes, properly selecting/sizing your turbo is probably THE most important step of turbocharging your car. It isn't just the turbine size either, there are different housing sizes and not all kits are created equal. As for what gears, that all depends on your driving habits and where your power comes on. If your setup doesn't get into the powerband until later on you'll want steeper gears, if you've got a setup that starts really building at like 2800rpm or so you might want to go lower. Its all in the combo.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yes, properly selecting/sizing your turbo is probably THE most important step of turbocharging your car. It isn't just the turbine size either, there are different housing sizes and not all kits are created equal. As for what gears, that all depends on your driving habits and where your power comes on. If your setup doesn't get into the powerband until later on you'll want steeper gears, if you've got a setup that starts really building at like 2800rpm or so you might want to go lower. Its all in the combo.
So if I got a smaller turbo (65/67 mm) that spools at 2, 500 est. RPM with max boost at 4, 850 RPM then I should stick with 3.55 where as a bigger turbo (70mm - 76mm) that spools at an est. 3, 100 RPM with full boost at 5, 100 RPM then I should go 3.73/4.10? Would 3.73 be a big improvement over 3.55?
08mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Again, there's more to it than just the size of the turbo and you're going to hate life if you are making full boost at 4800... I'd go over to the turbo forums and do some reading of the stickies they have up there, LOTS of good info.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Again, there's more to it than just the size of the turbo and you're going to hate life if you are making full boost at 4800... I'd go over to the turbo forums and do some reading of the stickies they have up there, LOTS of good info.
+1 try to get a quality ball bearing turbo

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT