Overheated again - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Overheated again

A good 6+ months ago my car overheated, thermostat was replace. Today outside temperature was about 82 degrees hot, was driving on the street for about 17min with the AC on. I notice when I was driving 35miles or more the AC temperature was cool but when I slow down or stop it will start blowing warm air. When I arrive at my final destination and shut the car down the overflow cap started spilling the coolant and temperature was high.
Once I arrive to the dealer the service rep put the AC at full blast and only hot air was blowing out, he was revving the engine about 2 thousand RPM to warm up the engine and see if it overheat again, smoke stared coming from the engine and it was the AC compressor smoking.
If the AC compressor is bad will that cause my car to overheat or something else could be the problem... Car was left overnight at the dealer to get diagnostic tomorrow morning.
Jayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjay View Post
A good 6+ months ago my car overheated, thermostat was replace. Today outside temperature was about 82 degrees hot, was driving on the street for about 17min with the AC on. I notice when I was driving 35miles or more the AC temperature was cool but when I slow down or stop it will start blowing warm air. When I arrive at my final destination and shut the car down the overflow cap started spilling the coolant and temperature was high.
Once I arrive to the dealer the service rep put the AC at full blast and only hot air was blowing out, he was revving the engine about 2 thousand RPM to warm up the engine and see if it overheat again, smoke stared coming from the engine and it was the AC compressor smoking.
If the AC compressor is bad will that cause my car to overheat or something else could be the problem... Car was left overnight at the dealer to get diagnostic tomorrow morning.
Sounds like the bearings went out on the compressor. Bogged the engine trying to overcome it. Belt could have been slipping and not turning the water pump.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I just hope insurance will cover whatever it is, service rep will let me know tomorrow evening... Hope it's nothing to big
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Just received a call from my service rep, he said they tried getting the car to overheat today but couldn't get the car to overheat, they tested the engine( or something I forgot what exactly) under pressure and said the car failed. I should have a blown head gasket, when I asked him why the AC compressor smoked he said for the reason that oil had spill on it causing it to smoke.

Should this be an expensive fix or not
Old 07-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
A blown head gasket? The labor is usually most of the cost. Hopefully the heads are warped at all, the longer you drive with a blown head gasket the more detrimental it is to the motor. My jeep and firebird prior had blown head gaskets both ended up being pricey to fix.
NDstang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just received a call from my service rep, he said they tried getting the car to overheat today but couldn't get the car to overheat, they tested the engine( or something I forgot what exactly) under pressure and said the car failed. I should have a blown head gasket, when I asked him why the AC compressor smoked he said for the reason that oil had spill on it causing it to smoke.

Should this be an expensive fix or not
Bummer
It'll be a good chunk. Mostly labor pulling the head, replacing the gasket, reassembly, adjust valves, etc. assuming there's no damage to the piston or connecting rod or head.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If there is any warping on the head, then that woul definitely need to be sent to machine shop to get that fixed for you. Hope that's not the case good luck OP
NDstang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys for your help, my advisor was going to get with the warranty department and see if they are going to cover the cost. Meanwhile his pulling prices and labor cost to see whats going to cost to fix it...
I'm really bump out I have the car for 1.5 yrs and it has had good amount of issues that I have fix.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks guys for your help, my advisor was going to get with the warranty department and see if they are going to cover the cost. Meanwhile his pulling prices and labor cost to see whats going to cost to fix it...
I'm really bump out I have the car for 1.5 yrs and it has had good amount of issues that I have fix.

sorry to hear about your mustang. I've had my current gt for about 2 years.

3 engines.

1. Oil sludge seized engine, bad maint from previous owner (my fault for not properly inspecting)

2. Over Heat, blown head gasket damaged heads (had it rebuilt)

3. A piece of metal broke and was clogged in the oil pump starving the engine of oil seized engine.

Just bought a another engine and tranny combo a few days ago to go in soon.

Worst part, I'm still paying car off and have an expensive insurance payment.

sometimes bad stuff happens. good luck with your gt.
02 F150 FX4 silver- (Sold)
98 F150 4x4 white- (Sold)
02 GT mineral gray 1st car stock - (Sold)
mikehailey02gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks mike,

Yeah I was expecting to be fixing things little by little as things wear out replace them with upgrades. Just sucks when things break down and are expensive to fix...
I'm also still paying monthly payments on my GT... And with a home mortgage it's kind of impossible at the time for any surprise bills.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks mike,

Yeah I was expecting to be fixing things little by little as things wear out replace them with upgrades. Just sucks when things break down and are expensive to fix...
I'm also still paying monthly payments on my GT... And with a home mortgage it's kind of impossible at the time for any surprise bills.

damn, paying a home mortgage. Like you said hopefully the warranty covers it. Did the issues start on your GT right since you got it? Or did they start happening after your bama tuning?
02 F150 FX4 silver- (Sold)
98 F150 4x4 white- (Sold)
02 GT mineral gray 1st car stock - (Sold)
mikehailey02gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:35 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Before my tuning I had worn out tie rod ends, brake disk had heat spots, and engine light because of the CAI filter needed replacement. Got fixed And on the next oil change they found out that I had a oil leak from the front and also my rear differential had a leak, both got fix by extended warranty and 100 dollars deductible. My seat lower back was broken, warranty didn't cover said it was wear and tear. Car kept draining battery, bought and replace battery at dealer and fix the problem. 3 months later after tuning car start to drain battery again, found out alternator was bad, extended warranty covered but 100 deductible. Car came out with a squeaking sound being one of my pullies.
Oh I forgot after they fixed my oil leaks my car came out with a check engine light, they tried to claim I took the car with the light on. Car was running really weird and 1st gear was with really low power and car was jumpy. They claimed that I had bad tunes. I informed them that I had those tunes for about six months and car was running smooth until they worked on it. Kept the car for about a month trying to figure what was the problem. They ended up replacing some part of the computer. They said they will cover it that time but if I tuned again they will not cover it. BS they ****ed it up the first time.
Car overheated and it looked like it was thermostat, got it fix at a small shop since dealer was over priced.
Six months later car overheats again and here I am. I might of missed a few other stuff lol

---------- Post added at 01:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 AM ----------

I'm pretty sure my tuning never harm my car, evertime something happen it was after it got serviced.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

If my head gaskets were blown would my car be acting up and check engine light on. My car was not showing any symptoms, car was running good and also after car overheated and let cooled down engine light was not on.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If my head gaskets were blown would my car be acting up and check engine light on. My car was not showing any symptoms, car was running good and also after car overheated and let cooled down engine light was not on.
You might look into a lemon law application, each state is different. That's a lot of problems.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Hi JayJay maybe this will help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130723_142550.png
Views:	169
Size:	734.5 KB
ID:	120087

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130723_142634.png
Views:	178
Size:	691.7 KB
ID:	120088
montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, that's very useful information.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Just spoke to my service rep, they need to tear down the engine to see the actual damage, take pictures for the Insurance claim. This will cost 1010 dollars, the actual fix should come down to almost 3,000 dollars. If the insurance refuses to fix it I will need to suck up the 1000 for tearing the engine down or 3,000 bucks to fix it... The rep said since I been doing all my service at the dealer they should not refuse to fix it, normally they refuse it when no proof of maintenance is recorded...
What you guys think...
The think it sucks I own my stang only for 1.5 years and car has less than 70,000 miles... I hope the insurance kicks in... My extended warranty that I bought at the dealer is portfolio
Old 07-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just spoke to my service rep, they need to tear down the engine to see the actual damage, take pictures for the Insurance claim. This will cost 1010 dollars, the actual fix should come down to almost 3,000 dollars. If the insurance refuses to fix it I will need to suck up the 1000 for tearing the engine down or 3,000 bucks to fix it... The rep said since I been doing all my service at the dealer they should not refuse to fix it, normally they refuse it when no proof of maintenance is recorded...
What you guys think...
The think it sucks I own my stang only for 1.5 years and car has less than 70,000 miles... I hope the insurance kicks in... My extended warranty that I bought at the dealer is portfolio
Contact the insurance company and find out the deal. Find out what would cause the claim to be denied. Isn't fixing it part of tearing it down? Do they expect to tear it down and find nothing wrong?

Old 08-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quick update, on Thursday my service advisor advise me that everything was torn down already, he was getting prices for part and everything. Hopefully by Monday I get to hear from the extended warranty. Also I had stop by the dealer to get some stuff from the dealer and I asked the mechanic if he could put my new spark plugs that I had on my trunk and he said yeah no problems, any ways he was removing the heads so he could put the new ones with no extra charge...
Old 08-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Can someone explain these to me, car Starts but rpms fluctate intake manifold is warped.
Dealer said my MAF sensor was out, car will not start. They replace the sensor and they told me the above.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:39 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

It's driving me crazy. Car has been at the dealer two months now. They have change my head gasket with several other stuff related to the removal of the heads. New spark plugs. Have put in a new intake manifold, new MAF sensor. Car still runs very ruff. Dealer also re flash the computer.
They have pass the car to several mechanics and can't find the problem. It's been one week that the main shop mechanic has been trying to figure whats wrong with my car...
When I took it in it ran good it just overheated but the idle was fine. Just the hot weather and AC cause it to overheat.

What can I do... It's very frustrating that I keep asking for an update or estimate time to fix it and ill I get its they trying to figure out was wrong...
Old 07-07-2015, 09:58 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
from ur first post sounded like the only problem u had was cooling fan not running..a/c hot when sitting still, work fine going down the road
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT