05 Spark Plug Change - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
05 Spark Plug Change

OK so my car just hit the 70k mark and I'm pretty sure it's about time to change these spark plugs. Now I've heard plenty of horror stories of these plugs breaking off while being removed... and I'm terrified of it haha. For those of you that have changed your own plugs how did you get them out? I read that you can spray some lubricant in there? If you did what kind did you use? Also what new plugs did you end up using after you got the old ones out?
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
I want so say ive heard someone say pb blaster. I could be very wrong. plug wise I wont use anything other than motorcraft but im sure there are others that have used different with results???
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Let the plugs soak in pb blaster for about 20 min before attempting to pull them out. Then then loosen them a quarter turn then tighten back in place and then loosen it again but a little further. Keep working the plug back and forth, tightening and loosening it to extract it with ease. Do this until they come out. I used this technique and only broke the last one because I got anxious. DO NOT FORCE IT OUT!
thatmustangguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Sad Panda
Staff

would it be better to soak them overnight the night before?
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
Old 07-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Hmm I didn't try that but it seems like that would be even better.
thatmustangguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
Sad Panda
Staff

just something I heard & putting it out there
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
Old 07-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatmustangguy View Post
Let the plugs soak in pb blaster for about 20 min before attempting to pull them out. Then then loosen them a quarter turn then tighten back in place and then loosen it again but a little further. Keep working the plug back and forth, tightening and loosening it to extract it with ease. Do this until they come out. I used this technique and only broke the last one because I got anxious. DO NOT FORCE IT OUT!
+1
Just be patient. Be careful about spraying too much stuff, it's all going into your cylinder after you loosen the plug. I got all 8 out without breaking any. Loosen a little, tighten back, loosen a little, etc. There is a TSB from Ford about the process to follow you can get online.
they don't sell the 2 piece plugs anymore. So any quality plug will be fine.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatmustangguy View Post
Yep, this is what I did, no broken ones.
maverick214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

cool, thanks for the tips guys. I'll prob try it this weekend. I do remeber somebody saying they soaked their plugs over night on here awhile bak.. I'll have to run a search and see if I can find that thread... one more question. If you end up breaking one are you royally screwed haha?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 610swolf View Post
cool, thanks for the tips guys. I'll prob try it this weekend. I do remeber somebody saying they soaked their plugs over night on here awhile bak.. I'll have to run a search and see if I can find that thread... one more question. If you end up breaking one are you royally screwed haha?
Nope. Just get the lisle tool, I think it's this one. http://m.summitracing.com/parts/lil-65600

You can get one just incase if you want.
I think that's it, I never bought it. Someone else will let you know for sure.
There's videos on YouTube in how to use it.
maverick214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

hmm never heard of that before.. I wonder if autozone or someplace would have one of those to rent on the off chance something does happen....
Old 07-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
Sad Panda
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 610swolf View Post
hmm never heard of that before.. I wonder if autozone or someplace would have one of those to rent on the off chance something does happen....
One way to find out!
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
Old 07-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #13

Region: Pennsylvania
I just did my 08 GT with 70K miles. They all came out but it took some patience and several applications of Seafoam. The trick was to run about 2-3 cans of Seafoam through the fuel system (I also added to the brake booster and let it soak overnight). The carbon was built up real heavy but using the Seafoam and following the TSB, I never reached anywhere near 30 lbs. of torque and had zero issues getting the plugs out. I had to work them back and forth and even let two sit overnight soaking (just playing it safe). I can walk you through exactly what the process was if you need more info. YOU NEED TO GET THE CARBON SOFTENED AND OFF THE PLUGS OR THEY WILL BREAK IN HALF. THIS IS THE KEY AND NEVER EXCEEDING 33 FT/LBS. OF TORQUE. JUST WORK THE PLUGS BACK AND FORTH AND BE SURE TO USE PLENTY OF SEAFOAM BEFORE YOU CHANGE THE PLUGS. YOU CAN SAFELY CYCLE THE MOTOR TO BLOW OUT ANY SEAFOAM THAT REMAINS BEFORE REINSTALLING THE COIL PACKS AND NEW PLUGS
Blackcat08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Just curious if you guys are using torque wrenches to ensure that you dont exceed 30 ft/lbs of torque.
Baker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
When you get all of the plugs out I would recommend blowing the cylinders out to rid as much penetrating oil as possible. With all of the plugs out, get into the car and hold the gas pedal to the floor (that shuts the fuel system off) then just hit your key to the crank position once or twice quickly. Just make sure that your floor mat is far enough back that you can push the pedal to the floor.
Koasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koasho View Post
When you get all of the plugs out I would recommend blowing the cylinders out to rid as much penetrating oil as possible. With all of the plugs out, get into the car and hold the gas pedal to the floor (that shuts the fuel system off) then just hit your key to the crank position once or twice quickly. Just make sure that your floor mat is far enough back that you can push the pedal to the floor.
This is why I joined this forum! After reading the horror stories, and not wanting to mess up my Baby, it's good to get the little helpful hints. Thanks!
Fader is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT