Intake question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Intake question

I want to do an intake and can afford one but I can't afford a tuner yet! On an 08 gt do I have to have the tuner to be able put on a cold air intake on or can I put the intake on and get the tuner later!
Midnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
there are some that you can get that are no tune required... but it's always best to get a tuner and tune when you can. You won't see the real gains out of them until you do!
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

What is the difference between the ones that need a tuner and the ones that done, just curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The ones that need a tune will be larger which means more air intake. Non tune will be pretty close to the same size as stock.
S281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite View Post
I want to do an intake and can afford one but I can't afford a tuner yet! On an 08 gt do I have to have the tuner to be able put on a cold air intake on or can I put the intake on and get the tuner later!
If you decide to get one that doesn't need a tune I'm going to sell my K & N CAI. Bought it brand new last year, has about 4,000 miles on it. Its still on my car but I'm taking it off on Tues.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

How much are you asking and can I see a pic
Old 07-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Midnite,

CAI's are great upgrades for any Mustang model. However, if I had to choose between a CAI or a customer tuner, I would pick the tuner every time. You'll experience a much more significant gain in power, throttle response and even 1-2 MPG. Plus, if you purchase a Bama custom tuner, you're automatically enrolled into our Free Tunes for Life program. This means you can get free custom tune updates for any future bolt-on mods down the road. In other words, when you eventually go to buy a CAI, you'll be able to purchase a tune required CAI that makes even more power!

Hope this info helps your decision. If you need more direction or have questions, feel free to contact me!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
How much are you asking and can I see a pic
I have one for sale as well came off my 05 Gt K&N CAI askin 125 + shipping no tune required
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2784289232.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	478.3 KB
ID:	119367   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1129157872.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	516.5 KB
ID:	119368  

Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Midnite I have a K&N non tune CAI on my car. When I can afford a tuner I will purchase a CAI and tuner. Non tune will give you a deeper growl on the pipes. You will also notice just a little gain in response that's what I've noticed.
I have the one that he's selling
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1323963495.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	487.3 KB
ID:	119400  
Old 07-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I also have the K&N cai on my car I picked it up on Amizon for $250 shipped nice intake for the money no tune needed .
I have been sticking to no tune needed mods for now cause I plan to install a S/C down the road and most S/C kits come with a tuner or reflash

Pypes shorties, BBK catted X, Flowmaster Pro's, K&N CAI, FRPP- P springs, Steeda UCA, J&M Panhard bar, Hurst Comp plus, FR500 Wheels W/NITTO's , SCT SF3 W/BAMA 93 Race tune, Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, chin spoiler, Eleanor style grill, GT500 rear spoiler
stemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Does anybody know where you can find an aftermarket tube for a stock airbox?
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Hey black8thelement I have a KnN intake that I'm gonna sell that would work for what you want. Pm me if you are interested
05stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
If you go the K & N route you can always get a tune for that setup later on when you have extra cash for a tuner. Thats what I did last year. I just bought a JLT series 3 off a guy on another site that was used. Thats why i'm selling my K & N now.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I am working on convincing my wife lol!
Old 07-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I tried to explain $600 for CAI and tune. Hahaha
Old 07-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I have an 08 GT and put an SLP loudmouth and airaid intake in without a tune no problem
Maraqt101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Slider View Post
Yeah I tried to explain $600 for CAI and tune. Hahaha
Thats why I'm not married any more and I keep my girlfriend in a different zip code I do what I want to do with my money and I like my TOYS and if she don't like it I will trade her in on a different model LOL

Pypes shorties, BBK catted X, Flowmaster Pro's, K&N CAI, FRPP- P springs, Steeda UCA, J&M Panhard bar, Hurst Comp plus, FR500 Wheels W/NITTO's , SCT SF3 W/BAMA 93 Race tune, Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, chin spoiler, Eleanor style grill, GT500 rear spoiler
Old 07-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry for reviving this thread. I've been researching and I can't find solid info. It's obvious getting a CAI that requires a tune is better than one does not but the question is whether or not there is a significant difference in the different brands?

I'm looking at FR, Steeda, JLT.
Kustumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustumb View Post
Sorry for reviving this thread. I've been researching and I can't find solid info. It's obvious getting a CAI that requires a tune is better than one does not but the question is whether or not there is a significant difference in the different brands?

I'm looking at FR, Steeda, JLT.
Everybody will have different opinions on brands. I've had BBK and now I have K&N both non- tuned. I like both brands
Old 07-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Slider View Post

Everybody will have different opinions on brands. I've had BBK and now I have K&N both non- tuned. I like both brands
How do you feel about those that require tunes? Do you agree they provide a better benefit? I have a FR exhaust conversion and feel they're top of the line but I want to know more about how people feel.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I have an Airaid intake (American Muscle Item # 52100) and it came with an insert (Modular Venturi Tube) that can be installed for no tune. Just remove the insert when you add a tuner.
GTgorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How do you feel about those that require tunes? Do you agree they provide a better benefit? I have a FR exhaust conversion and feel they're top of the line but I want to know more about how people feel.
Yes the CAI that require a tune will make more HP but as to weather they provide a better benefit depends on how you look at it LOL
Let me tell you the way I look at it the old fart cheep a** way
If you get a CAI the require a tune you have to get a tuner that will cost you an extra $380 and if you get this new intake and tuner you are going to want to run the race tune all the time why not thats why you bought this big mama jamma intake and tuner with the race tune but now you have to run 93 octane gas because of the race tune you are running with the new intake and tuner. 93 octane is at least 50 cents a gallon more then regular so now you are spending an extra $7 every time you fill up with gas 1 tank full a week 4 times a month thats almost $30 dollars extra a month is the extra 10 HP maybe with all that extra money its going to cost you is it worth it for me it was not but thats just me HP cost money some times in ways you mite not think about LOL

Old 07-26-2013, 03:21 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemar View Post
Yes the CAI that require a tune will make more HP but as to weather they provide a better benefit depends on how you look at it LOL
Let me tell you the way I look at it the old fart cheep a** way
If you get a CAI the require a tune you have to get a tuner that will cost you an extra $380 and if you get this new intake and tuner you are going to want to run the race tune all the time why not thats why you bought this big mama jamma intake and tuner with the race tune but now you have to run 93 octane gas because of the race tune you are running with the new intake and tuner. 93 octane is at least 50 cents a gallon more then regular so now you are spending an extra $7 every time you fill up with gas 1 tank full a week 4 times a month thats almost $30 dollars extra a month is the extra 10 HP maybe with all that extra money its going to cost you is it worth it for me it was not but thats just me HP cost money some times in ways you mite not think about LOL
Haha thanks for the input my man but here are my points:

#1 - I'm for sure getting both CAI and Tuner.
#2 - I don't like cheaping out on parts for the car.

So I want to spend the money as long as there is a reasonable difference. Which is why I'm asking, whether or not the one's that require a tune bring in more of a boost compared to the ones that don't GIVEN you tuned accordingly for both.

Regarding gas. I'm pretty light on the pedal - generally. This week it hasn't been so because of my new FR Exhaust Conversion Kit.

---------- Post added at 03:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTgorilla View Post
I have an Airaid intake (American Muscle Item # 52100) and it came with an insert (Modular Venturi Tube) that can be installed for no tune. Just remove the insert when you add a tuner.
Thanks for the info on the tube! I didn't know that. Nevertheless the question still stands.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you go with the Airaid intake that comes with the tube insert then you do not immediately need a tune as long as the tube insert is installed. So YES you can run his Airaid intake without a tune. I ran mine for a week this way while waiting for my tuner to arrive. The intake alone gives a definite boost in power and sound. But the real difference was when I added the tune. I just removed the insert tube from the intake and downloaded the new tune. Good luck.

---------- Post added at 06:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTgorilla View Post

If you go with the Airaid intake that comes with the tube insert then you do not immediately need a tune as long as the tube insert is installed. So YES you can run this Airaid intake without a tune. I ran mine for a week this way while waiting for my tuner to arrive. The intake alone gives a definite boost in power and sound. But the real difference was when I added the tune. I just removed the insert tube from the intake and downloaded the new tune. Good luck.
GTgorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Does the steeda intake come with a insert? I want to get the steeda cold air but tuner later down the road don't have $600 laying around to blow /:
Torchredfrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I'd defintely go for the JLT series 3. It has some pretty good gains with the intake + tuner and looks pretty impressive under the hood lol.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:26 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the input. I have the FR dual exhaust so I'm thinking keeping it FR would be cool and authentic. Anyone have the FR Cai?
Old 07-27-2013, 02:21 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
AFM intake. Looks ridiculous under the hood. In a good way. Mad gains
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3321367094.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	120712  
NDstang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDstang05 View Post
AFM intake. Looks ridiculous under the hood. In a good way. Mad gains
What's afm? Can't find it on AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Its not necessarily the cai that makes it better with a tune. A tuner will tune everhthing not just the cold air intake and you will see a dramatic increase in power that you will feel instantly. Go with the tuner
tony92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:

What's afm? Can't find it on AM.
Note sold on AM. Anderson ford motorsports. Performance ford dealership that sells awesome products, and tunes. They have a site. Pay to play though new the intake is like $498.
NDstang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDstang05 View Post

Note sold on AM. Anderson ford motorsports. Performance ford dealership that sells awesome products, and tunes. They have a site. Pay to play though new the intake is like $498.
That's really cool. I think I'll just go with the FR Cai and a tuner combo when I can afford it. Thanks for chirping in fellas

I wish AM had 6 month financing for Canada too
Old 07-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's really cool. I think I'll just go with the FR Cai and a tuner combo when I can afford it. Thanks for chirping in fellas

I wish AM had 6 month financing for Canada too
Whats this 6 month financing you speak of?
Old 07-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony92 View Post

Whats this 6 month financing you speak of?
You have the "bill me later" option when you buy from the US. It's on every check out page by the PayPal button - bottom right
Old 07-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You have the "bill me later" option when you buy from the US. It's on every check out page by the PayPal button - bottom right
Hmm ive seen it but I never paid attention to it. How does it work?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT