09 Pype Bomb Rattle - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
09 Pype Bomb Rattle

I installed the Pype Bomb Axleback on my 2009 Mustang gt about 6 weeks ago. Everything went smooth. About 1 week ago I started noticing a rattle from the rear passenger side. This rattle doesn't occur until I drive the car for about 10-15 minutes. Any suggestions? I'm assuming it has to do something with the car heating up? It doesn't look like any of the hangers are hitting metal on metal. Is it possible the exhaust tip itself is vibrating against the actual bumper? If anyone else had/has an issue on this, I'd love to hear your solution/brainstorming solutions!

Thanks
2009 Mustang GT Premium; FRRP 4.10 Gears, J&M Lower Control Arms, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Pypes M80 Mid Mufflers, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Back, JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake, Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, Black Decklid Panel, Weathertech Mats, SVE Shifter and Shorty Antenna.
Langer1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have a rattle but I can only hear it when I let the back seats down and the trunk area is open.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

@Rogue. That sounds like your spare tire might be hopping around in your trunk. But what do I know....I have rear end noise problems too
2009 Mustang GT Premium; FRRP 4.10 Gears, J&M Lower Control Arms, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Pypes M80 Mid Mufflers, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Back, JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake, Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, Black Decklid Panel, Weathertech Mats, SVE Shifter and Shorty Antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langer1099 View Post
@Rogue. That sounds like your spare tire might be hopping around in your trunk. But what do I know....I have rear end noise problems too
I only hear the rattle when I press on the gas, at cruising speed no rattle at all. The tire is tight
Old 07-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The only thing I can think of is maybe you have a bad catalytic converter? I had this happen on my old Trans Am. The insides of the cat broke off and caused crazy rattling noises inside the cat itself. How many miles does your car have?
Old 07-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The only thing I can think of is maybe you have a bad catalytic converter? I had this happen on my old Trans Am. The insides of the cat broke off and caused crazy rattling noises inside the cat itself. How many miles does your car have?
Old 07-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Wow....Thats a pretty good amount. Exhaust clamps or a bad catalytic converter would be my guess.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I have the pype bombs and I would experience rattling on start up but then it would go away after it heated up. I just tightened my clamps an it never came back
Depack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:57 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I should crawl under and take a look in the morning.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:19 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm. That is weird. My Pype Bombs seems to rattle 15 minutes after I leave the house. It almost sounds like the rear window is shaking because the exhaust note is pretty loud. Not sure...

@Rogue; Take a rubber mallet/hammer and give your catalytic converter a little tap-a-roo and see if ya' hear anything that sounds broken inside. If all else fails....Maybe something in the rear end is shaking? Shocks or LCAs....?
Old 07-21-2013, 02:27 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I will try and get it on video and post it.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:13 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Alright man, sounds good. I wish you some luck.

I just did my research and I think I found out my problem. The heat from the car is shifting my exhaust hangers and the hanger is actually rattling against the hanger mounts. I found a great write up on it after researching ALL day.

2012 Mustang V6 Exhaust Rattle Fix - MustangForums.com
Old 07-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Nothing is moving
http://youtu.be/0buZQLluLT0
link fixed
Attached Files
Old 07-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

@rogue - It's really hard to guess what the noise could be. I just took 3/8th pieces of rubber and zip tied them around the metal hangers on my pype bomb exhaust. My rattle is completely GONE! The metal hangers would heat up, shift positions a little and the hanger itself was resting against the hanger mount, which caused it to sounds awful. Maybe some of the rattle is coming from your hangers too?
Old 07-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
@rogue - It's really hard to guess what the noise could be. I just took 3/8th pieces of rubber and zip tied them around the metal hangers on my pype bomb exhaust. My rattle is completely GONE! The metal hangers would heat up, shift positions a little and the hanger itself was resting against the hanger mount, which caused it to sounds awful. Maybe some of the rattle is coming from your hangers too?
I will check that in the morning. Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT