Centrifugal superchargers! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Centrifugal superchargers!

Hello all, I'm looking at a vortech v3 supercharger kit on brenspeed for 4k and I plan on adding an intercooler at a later date. But I've got a few questions for those that are experienced with them before i drop the cash

How reliable are they/ what kind of servicing will I need to do?

As for the install, is it something a buddy and I can do in a few days?

And lastly, what are the noise levels like inside and outside? I'd love a nice audible whine
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
You'll get the whine from roots or twin screw superchargers and centri's sometimes give just a whistle. Yes you can easily install in a few days. And as for maintenance i cant remember the miles but its something like every 12k you change the vortechs oil unless its feed into your current oil system. If its internally lubricated changing its oil is very easy but you need supercharger oil which is different from regular oil and i believe vortech even makes their own brand you can purchase. Just read up on vortechs website they have useful info on their website. Hope this helps
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Helps a lot actually. I watched a video of a centri system and I swear I heard a bov.. Is that included in the system? I always thought bov's were only for turbos.

If it were in the cards I'd be going for a roots style super but I can't seem to find one for under 5k. It just seems more robust than a centri and has much more cosmetic appeal. are there any out there?

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Is it possible to intercool a roots style system?
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT330 View Post
Helps a lot actually. I watched a video of a centri system and I swear I heard a bov.. Is that included in the system? I always thought bov's were only for turbos.

If it were in the cards I'd be going for a roots style super but I can't seem to find one for under 5k. It just seems more robust than a centri and has much more cosmetic appeal. are there any out there?

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Is it possible to intercool a roots style system?
Its probably a by pass valve. Pretty much the same thing. And check out kenne bell. They have full kits for 4-6k. And yes but they're usually aftercooled
Old 07-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Well I have a twin roots style setup with a intercooler
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
HERE read this I copied this info of of Vortec's web site

Why don't Vortech superchargers need an Aftercooler or an intercooler?

Vortech Engineering, LLC has conducted extensive testing of most intercoolers/aftercoolers currently on the market. Test results indicate that for street driven purposes below 8-9 PSIG, installing an aftercooler has marginal effects when using a Vortech supercharger (due to the high efficiency of the supercharger). Nearly all of the intercoolers/aftercoolers available on the market have poor effectiveness and actually can cause parasitic losses equal to or greater than the power gained by installing a intercooler/aftercooler. Vortech has developed systems which are substantially more effective at lowering discharge temperatures without causing driveability problems and pressure drops thru the cooling core and ducting.
Intercoolers are recommended for applications requiring maximum performance in racing, towing, or extended high speed driving.

What this means to me the way I read it is for the average DD that dose not see a lot of track time or extended high speed Driving (in boost) and your happy with the power levels you can get at 8 or 9 psi of boost no intercooler is needed
Brenspeed made 490RWHP with their non intercooled sys with lts and blower cams I would be happy with 450 RWHP

Pypes shorties, BBK catted X, Flowmaster Pro's, K&N CAI, FRPP- P springs, Steeda UCA, J&M Panhard bar, Hurst Comp plus, FR500 Wheels W/NITTO's , SCT SF3 W/BAMA 93 Race tune, Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, chin spoiler, Eleanor style grill, GT500 rear spoiler
stemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Still safer to have an intercooler or aftercooler. Worth the $ to me to hve a safer build and be able to crank up the boost more (given you have to supporting mods to do so)
Old 07-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

My original plan was to get the vortech kit, tune it to where I'm happy with it, and add an intercooler later to see how much I can lower the psi to to maintain my original non intercooled power levels solely for reliability and durability. I do daily my mustang but I won't run it wide open throttle for more than a few seconds anyways. But I'm not one to take shortcuts.

On another note, can anyone give me the price point of the kenne bell roots style supers? I'm at work at the moment
Old 07-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My original plan was to get the vortech kit, tune it to where I'm happy with it, and add an intercooler later to see how much I can lower the psi to to maintain my original non intercooled power levels solely for reliability and durability. I do daily my mustang but I won't run it wide open throttle for more than a few seconds anyways. But I'm not one to take shortcuts.

On another note, can anyone give me the price point of the kenne bell roots style supers? I'm at work at the moment
Depends what size you get and whether you go intercooled or not
Old 07-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Lets just say the entry level stage 1 non intercooled.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

About 5800

http://kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Price.../PriceList.pdf
Old 07-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lets just say the entry level stage 1 non intercooled.
Kennie Bell dose not have a non intercooled Kit for 05-09 Mustangs all of their kits are intercooled starting price for a stage 1 is $5700

Pypes shorties, BBK catted X, Flowmaster Pro's, K&N CAI, FRPP- P springs, Steeda UCA, J&M Panhard bar, Hurst Comp plus, FR500 Wheels W/NITTO's , SCT SF3 W/BAMA 93 Race tune, Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, chin spoiler, Eleanor style grill, GT500 rear spoiler
Old 07-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'm liking that, a little more saving up but seems worth it. Thanks a ton. I'm gonna do some research on kenne bell and make sure it's quality probably gonna take that toute
Old 07-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I was think kb as well but the whine isn't as loud like it would on the cobra.im gonna save up for the intercooled procharger.love the whistle.of course it'll be on a stock motor.shell never see track but be nice to have that extra power.sorry for the thread jack but vortech procharger and paxton all show around 490 rwhp on stick motor of course on a safe tune n boost.is that true or is it less.and of course there intercooled as well.any input
Torchred2010gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchred2010gt View Post
I was think kb as well but the whine isn't as loud like it would on the cobra.im gonna save up for the intercooled procharger.love the whistle.of course it'll be on a stock motor.shell never see track but be nice to have that extra power.sorry for the thread jack but vortech procharger and paxton all show around 490 rwhp on stick motor of course on a safe tune n boost.is that true or is it less.and of course there intercooled as well.any input
If you watch this video you will see that Brenspeed made 490 HP to the wheel with their Vortec NON intercooled kit with only pypes Lts an O/R H pipe and their Detroit Rocker cams not bat for 8pis of boost.
But yes the intercooled versions make in the Hi 400 HP range at the wheels on a completely stock car but run 11 psi of boost with headers and cams on the intercooled kits would make well over 500 hp to the wheels
Vortec Dyno

Old 07-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemar View Post
If you watch this video you will see that Brenspeed made 490 HP to the wheel with their Vortec NON intercooled kit with only pypes Lts an O/R H pipe and their Detroit Rocker cams not bat for 8pis of boost.
But yes the intercooled versions make in the Hi 400 HP range at the wheels on a completely stock car but run 11 psi of boost with headers and cams on the intercooled kits would make well over 500 hp to the wheels
Vortec Dyno
I see.i thought the safe boost is only 8-10 pds of boost or it'll blow.though not one to question brenspeed to push theres to 11.cause I plan to by the arh headers catted x m80 mufflers n a set of tail pipes.heard it with the mid muffler cb sounded awesome.but again I wouldn't run at the track just want that extra power.with this texas weather i need the intercooled.dont want to break my motor but also want the most out of it
Old 07-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Stock motor with that many horses? Sounds like a ticking time bomb to me
Old 07-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I see.i thought the safe boost is only 8-10 pds of boost or it'll blow.though not one to question brenspeed to push theres to 11.cause I plan to by the arh headers catted x m80 mufflers n a set of tail pipes.heard it with the mid muffler cb sounded awesome.but again I wouldn't run at the track just want that extra power.with this texas weather i need the intercooled.dont want to break my motor but also want the most out of it
Brenspeeds non intercooled kit is at 8psi not 11psi they are making the same HP as the intercooled kits with less boost because of the headers and cams and a better tune

Old 07-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Stock motor with that many horses? Sounds like a ticking time bomb to me
Well from what Ive been reading supposedly its safe on a stock motor.unless you want to give me 3k to forge the internals if be very grateful haha.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Brenspeeds non intercooled kit is at 8psi not 11psi they are making the same HP as the intercooled kits with less boost because of the headers and cams and a better tune
What's your take on this with a stock motor?do you think it safe with an intercooled blower safe boost running numbers like that?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

If you cant afford a rebuilt motor dont risk it
Old 07-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you cant afford a rebuilt motor dont risk it
If you were me and wanted to forge.what is worth replacing for not so much money.i have found on a couple sights one on mmr and I think brenspeed with better pistons rods and a couple other things.idk to much when it comes to the guts so idk whats worth upgrading ad whats good to keep.read so many different opinions.not looking or big big numbers more along the lines 480-500ish
Old 07-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Is it possible to increase the output with the vortech or procharger centri's?

It seems to me like they are fundamentally just belt driven turbo chargers.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is it possible to increase the output with the vortech or procharger centri's?

It seems to me like they are fundamentally just belt driven turbo chargers.
They are pretty much. And you change the boost of a supercharger buy changing the belt size.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Got it. So what differentiates the entry level procharger from say the stage 1 or 2? Intercoolers and belts aside, is there anything else done to increase the output?
Old 07-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Got it. So what differentiates the entry level procharger from say the stage 1 or 2? Intercoolers and belts aside, is there anything else done to increase the output?
I think stage 1 is non intercooled and stage 2 is with from what I understand.but could be wrong.and sorry for the thread jack haha ive had questions like this and read different opinions on what to change what to keep on the stock block from blowing.then I've read out motors would be safe with just 450 under 10 pds of boost.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
The twin screw superchargers don't require an oil line to be run to them. They don't run as hot and are more efficient than Roots or Centri. Plus you only have to change the oil in them every 80-100K. Low maintenance and easy to work on if you ever had to do some repairs yourself. They are all good and do what they were designed to do. But its all about your preference man. I like the Whipple system myself.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo_281GT View Post
The twin screw superchargers don't require an oil line to be run to them. They don't run as hot and are more efficient than Roots or Centri. Plus you only have to change the oil in them every 80-100K. Low maintenance and easy to work on if you ever had to do some repairs yourself. They are all good and do what they were designed to do. But its all about your preference man. I like the Whipple system myself.
I was looking into the ford twin screw.now correct me if I'm wrong and I I understand.that blower says it produces 550 to the wheel stock motor.i know the difference between the blowers but this is where I'm confused.centris on a safe tune stock motor will probably be around 450+depending on mods and driving.when I read bout the ford 550 blower it produces this number safe tune stock motor.im sure it'll still break something with that high of number
Old 07-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Pretty jealous man. I definitely would stick to around 450-500 RWHP on the stock motor. I know Roush and FRPP sells a blower kit that goes above that but you are on borrowed time at that point IMHO. It's always fun to get the big HP kits, but I'd rather have it be DD capable and reliable and not have to worry about the motor possibly blow up lol.

I have seen some kits online that use a custom lower intake and allow you to bolt up a take off GT500 blower for the 3v motor for around $3k, but I can't figure out where I saw that.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdizzle View Post
Pretty jealous man. I definitely would stick to around 450-500 RWHP on the stock motor. I know Roush and FRPP sells a blower kit that goes above that but you are on borrowed time at that point IMHO. It's always fun to get the big HP kits, but I'd rather have it be DD capable and reliable and not have to worry about the motor possibly blow up lol.

I have seen some kits online that use a custom lower intake and allow you to bolt up a take off GT500 blower for the 3v motor for around $3k, but I can't figure out where I saw that.
Same here jealous i the guys who have the blower.must be nice to have that extra power.i drive my friends 00 gt built motor with a vortech and its monster.i would like a blower since its my dd car so I'd be happy with 450 and if it can get more and still be safe ill still be happy.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
I was looking into the ford twin screw.now correct me if I'm wrong and I I understand.that blower says it produces 550 to the wheel stock motor.i know the difference between the blowers but this is where I'm confused.centris on a safe tune stock motor will probably be around 450+depending on mods and driving.when I read bout the ford 550 blower it produces this number safe tune stock motor.im sure it'll still break something with that high of number
I have a friend who is a mechanic at Ford. He says he doesn't recommend going over 485 at the crank. The stock motor and transmission is good up to that point. But anything past that is like Boomdizzle said - Running on borrowed time. Now if you started working on your NA aspect first, then you went FI. You would have one hell of a Pony dude. I would do some research and look into building your motor and prepping for FI. There are a lot of intelligent and mechanically inclined people on here who can help. If all else fails, go talk to a local Mechanic. (If you are aiming above 500hp.) But do some research and have in your mind what you want before you go. that way when you go, you can give them an accurate account of what exactly you are looking to get out of your Pony. good luck man!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have a friend who is a mechanic at Ford. He says he doesn't recommend going over 485 at the crank. The stock motor and transmission is good up to that point. But anything past that is like Boomdizzle said - Running on borrowed time. Now if you started working on your NA aspect first, then you went FI. You would have one hell of a Pony dude. I would do some research and look into building your motor and prepping for FI. There are a lot of intelligent and mechanically inclined people on here who can help. If all else fails, go talk to a local Mechanic. (If you are aiming above 500hp.) But do some research and have in your mind what you want before you go. that way when you go, you can give them an accurate account of what exactly you are looking to get out of your Pony. good luck man!
Oh trust me i have I finally decided on an exhaust.arh lt catted x m80 mufflers n tips for a start.as far as engine goes i read different opinions.some say the crank you don't need to upgrade except the rods n pistons.i goal since its a dd is just around 480 500ish no more.she won't be at the track except maybe 1-2 times if that.i like to drive fast but also limit the beating the pedal.i want her to last.i just want that extra oomph in her and to make a statement to the ricers that there just a go cart compared to mine haha.i want to change what really needs to be changed so it doesn't blow on me.like I said ive read so many different posts different opinions idk whats really needed or keep the same
Old 07-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They are pretty much. And you change the boost of a supercharger buy changing the belt size.
NO you change the Boost Psi by changing the size of the pulley on the supercharger

Quote:
Entry level is non intercooled next step up is intercooled after that you step up to bigger head unit

Quote:
With Paxton or Vortec you can choose between oil fed from your engine or self lubericated that you have to change the oil in the head unit

Quote:
The Ford racing Whipple supercharger you are talking about is advertized at 550 HP at the flywheel NOT AT THE WHEELS it makes around 485 hp to the wheels on average

Old 07-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

The first and weakest link on pretty much any stock engine will be the Rod's & Pistons the crank will become an issue when you get higher up the HP chain

Old 07-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The first and weakest link on pretty much any stock engine will be the Rod's & Pistons the crank will become an issue when you get higher up the HP chain
So with info i have said dd full exhaust and goal to atleast 500.what should I really change and what needs to be left alone?where can I find a good deal
Old 07-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="stemar;1739911"]

NO you change the Boost Psi by changing the size of the pulley on the supercharger

Thats what i was saying. Thanks bud

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT