Is there a performance difference on size of wheels?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Is there a performance difference on size of wheels??

Hey guys im getting some black deep dish bullit rims for my 06 gt but I cant decide weather I wanna go with 18s or 19s. Is there a performance difference seeig as one eould be geavier than the other and such. Anything u guys got could help. Thanks.
tony92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not sure on whether 18s or 19s. 18s has more tire options and they are cheaper than the 19s. Not sure whether 19s are worth it. Have you thought about 18s up front and 19s on the back?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
yes...wheel and tire choice is one of the biggest choices to make and it all depends on what you want from the car. rotational mass is one of the biggest things to consider when buying wheels if you are more performance bound. Honestly i'd go with 18's or some lighter weight 19's. of course usually the lighter stuff will cost more, but for something you roll around with daily its well worth it.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 12:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not sure on whether 18s or 19s. 18s has more tire options and they are cheaper than the 19s. Not sure whether 19s are worth it. Have you thought about 18s up front and 19s on the back?
Hmm I wonder how that would look..probably sick as fukk haha but would it work
Old 07-30-2013, 01:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

as long as you kept your full wheel and tire height the same as what your car is supposed to have then yes.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:12 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
as long as you kept your full wheel and tire height the same as what your car is supposed to have then yes.
Care to elaborate?
Old 07-30-2013, 01:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

the diameter of your wheel and tire is a set height. going shorter or taller then the factory diameter will mess with things like the speedo, and mileage. of course that doesn't mean that you can't get bigger wheels. it just means as the wheels get bigger the tires will get smaller (side wall wise). this is why you see so many different combos out there. like for my car the front is a 245/45/17, and the rear will end up being (when i change tires) a 274/40/17....though they are different sizes the diameter once mounted on the wheels are the same which is also the same as the factory diameter.

hope that makes sense...any good tire shop will make sure you get the right stuff though. the only time you really gotta consider things too deeply is when mixing two different height wheels like 18 front and 19 rear

Old 07-30-2013, 01:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

19's look better on you're body style. 18's IMO look too small. Tires will be more expensive on the 19's though
Old 07-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a good question?? Do you plan on speeding or hitting tight corners, or are you just cruising around??

If cruising, just put them 19" bad boys on
If you want more moveability to hit those corners then stick with 18's as you get better traction control.

Or go slightly wider on the 19s if possible to keep the same traction.
Fred2000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2000GT View Post
Here is a good question?? Do you plan on speeding or hitting tight corners, or are you just cruising around??

If cruising, just put them 19" bad boys on
If you want more moveability to hit those corners then stick with 18's as you get better traction control.

Or go slightly wider on the 19s if possible to keep the same traction.
Yea pretty much just cruisin and I want the staggered look so its definitely gonna be wide in the rear

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT