Suspension install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Suspension install

Finally got all my parts for my suspension upgrade: Koni STR.T shocks and lstruts, GT500 strut mounts, Eibach pro-kit springs, and eibach camber bolts. My question is: do you recommend going to a shop to get these parts installed? Or is it something I can do with my father in law? He has some experience working with trucks in the army but he's not a mechanic and I have some knowledge also but I'm no expert. What's u all think? Or do you have any links, manuals, etc that can help?
Turtlestang39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Pretty basic work, and you have to start somewhere. i'd recommend buying a manual from any auto store for your car. Chilton or haynes
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Do you have a spring compressor to disassemble the struts and a good assortment of tools its an easy job if you have everything you need at hand some of the factory bolts are pretty tight so if you don't have air tools make sure you have a long breaker bar LOL

Pypes shorties, BBK catted X, Flowmaster Pro's, K&N CAI, FRPP- P springs, Steeda UCA, J&M Panhard bar, Hurst Comp plus, FR500 Wheels W/NITTO's , SCT SF3 W/BAMA 93 Race tune, Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, chin spoiler, Eleanor style grill, GT500 rear spoiler
stemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by stemar View Post
Do you have a spring compressor to disassemble the struts and a good assortment of tools its an easy job if you have everything you need at hand some of the factory bolts are pretty tight so if you don't have air tools make sure you have a long breaker bar LOL
True
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I think you could do it yourself. Just depends on the tools you have as others have said.
ironsurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
OP, key word: tools! haha, having air tools isn't a must but I sure tell you it makes life a lot easier. I got a shop I grew up in about a 100x120 with a 20x40 paint booth so mechanics has been my second nature. I will tell you this, as long as you can read some simple directions and know your bolt/nut sizes and use the proper mentality anyone could do a suspension install. Doing it with your father in law makes for a good time to bond lol, I made sure I did mine when everyone was out of town so I could have peace of mind at the shop and knocked the entire thing out in about 3 hours. If you have any questions though, Me and most likely including anyone else is a PM away!
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

BeachMonkey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:00 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
+1 on air tools, love my impact gun. Makes everything so much easier!
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 610swolf View Post
+1 on air tools, love my impact gun. Makes everything so much easier!
I agree! I have just about every air tool imaginable it makes for ease at mind..well sometimes lol
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

Old 07-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Just as info if you take it to a shop to have them install they'll charge about 6 hrs labor plus alignment. That might help you decide.
RCrumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCrumb View Post
Just as info if you take it to a shop to have them install they'll charge about 6 hrs labor plus alignment. That might help you decide.
+1 they trying to get everyone's money!

Old 08-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

So I asked a shop and they said they could do for around $500-$600. Alignment not included. So I asked a friend of the in laws ,that's a mechanic and owns a v6, for a quote and he said hell do it for $150 if he gets to keep the parts I replaced. Is this a good deal?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I think your buddy's offer is excellent, if he's a good mechanic and you trust his work. A shop will in fact charge about 6 hrs labor plus the alignment (which you will need once the work is done). Doing it your self is certainly an option however where it gets exciting is in compressing the springs properly and safely. God luck, you'll luv the new set-up I'm told.
RCrumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCrumb View Post
I think your buddy's offer is excellent, if he's a good mechanic and you trust his work. A shop will in fact charge about 6 hrs labor plus the alignment (which you will need once the work is done). Doing it your self is certainly an option however where it gets exciting is in compressing the springs properly and safely. God luck, you'll luv the new set-up I'm told.
Yea I took his offer and he installed it yesterday. I'm amazed on how much better my car looks and rides. And I still haven't gotten the alignment which I will do tomorrow. But WOW! I'm speechless. Cornering, acceleration, comfort, body roll, etc. so much better.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
150 bucks and they keep stuff that you will never use again, that's a steal!
I love guys with v6 mustangs to buy our old parts!
dr.gsxr1000nos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Haha yeah I got a great deal. Thanks for the help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT