CAI help!! (BBK or Airaid) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
CAI help!! (BBK or Airaid)

I know there's a lot of threads out there about this, but I'm stumped. Should I go with 1. Airaid CAI ($250) or 2. BBK CAI ($300). After forum discount and Airaids current rebate, the prices are above. Factoring in horsepower improvement, acceleration and fuel efficiency, I'm in need of other peoples opinions. Im not looking to buy a tune just yet. Also, i have a 2006 GT. Please help! Thanks a lot!!
MVP u eNVy ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
To be honest, neither. With a CAI, you only see gains with a tune. You might see 1-2 horsepower, nothing you'd ever feel or notice. All you'd notice is the sound. To so the exact same thing as a cai, take off the soind tube on your factory air box or take off the top. Save that money, get a tuner, tune it with a higher octane and save for fi
08mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
I got an airaid and love the sound but you will only feel a difference with a tune. I got a bama tuner and after a tune it's a whole new ride. Also, i think with airaid you need a tune.
Jeremy.baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

There is one Airaid CAI that doesn't require a tune. I would like a tune but don't want to pay for a tuner myself. Extra $300 is just annoying.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The price sucks but if you have the money it is well worth it to get a tuner and with bama you get free tunes for life. If you don't want a tuner right now i would get a cai that doesn't need a tune and then later on get the tuner. I waited until my birthday and asked for a tuner and got a cai at the same time so i could get one that requires a tune.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Would a CAI that doesn't require a tune be the same as a CAI that does require a tune, if I tuned it some time down the road? Or does the CAI's that require the tune give off better performance? Given they are pretty much the same intake
Old 08-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not for sure. I know that the ones that require the tune are bigger than the ones that don't. So i guess more air going in would make for a bigger difference.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I could always just sell it later on if I wanted to go bigger. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
a little info

3" cai do not need a tune, the 4" are the ones that need a tune. My first 05 gt I did a bbk 3" , and then ended up selling it and only getting back half the investment. From my money wasting experience, buy the tuner/cai package from american muscle, it includes free tunes for life, and you will need them for all your future mods. My 07 gt I have now has the jlt cai/ SCT sf3 tuner package..... also, make sure you get a composite tube cai, not a aluminum one like bbk has, heat is a HP killer......
dr.gsxr1000nos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP u eNVy ME View Post
Would a CAI that doesn't require a tune be the same as a CAI that does require a tune, if I tuned it some time down the road? Or does the CAI's that require the tune give off better performance? Given they are pretty much the same intake
No. "CAIs" don't do ANYTHING. It gives more air flow but not enough to make ANY difference. You always hear "with a cai and TUNE I felt a complete difference!" The key word there is TUNE. Please don't make a mistake and waste money. If you want more kick and a more diverse upgrade, get a tuner ($375) or a set of gears installed ($500 for gears and install). I haven't done gears but I hehear they are amazing.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I would do the tuner/cai package first. That opens the door for so much more with tuning. 410 gears are a must on non boosted cars, but the tuner will make it easy to fix your speedo. Tuner is where you start.
dr.gsxr1000nos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Is the cheapest route to tuning just buying your own?
Old 08-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

And can someone explain the Modular Venturi tub installed in this Airaid CAI (http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-cai-0509gt.html). Does this mean that if I want a tune I could still do it and gain the HP I should be getting?
Old 08-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is the cheapest route to tuning just buying your own?
Buy one from american muscle and you get "tunes for life". Just email them your mods and what type of tune you'd like (street tune, race tune, hybrid tune) and upload it to your car. Thats all that is needed. When you need more accurate tunes (supercharging, turbo, cams (some not needed) etc) you have to get a custom tune from a dyno.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
I know there's a lot of threads out there about this, but I'm stumped. Should I go with 1. Airaid CAI ($250) or 2. BBK CAI ($300). After forum discount and Airaids current rebate, the prices are above. Factoring in horsepower improvement, acceleration and fuel efficiency, I'm in need of other peoples opinions. Im not looking to buy a tune just yet. Also, i have a 2006 GT. Please help! Thanks a lot!!
Only with a tune are you really going to notice a difference in performance. An intake will make your motor sound better on acceleration, but you'll see minimal performance gains without a tune. There are options if you choose to get an intake now and tuner later.
For example, if you get Airaid intake from American Muscle, part # 52100, it comes with a Modular Venturi Tube that is inserted into the intake tube so you can run that intake without a tune. And when you decide to get a a tuner, just remove the Modular Venturi Tube and download the tune to get the most out of our intake.
GTgorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Picked up a Airaid today for 120 stole the damn thing and it came with the insert so all I need is the tuner now!!!
Torchredfrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchredfrankie View Post
Picked up a Airaid today for 120 stole the damn thing and it came with the insert so all I need is the tuner now!!!
Cool. You'll be happy with the intake alone and really happy once you get the tune. I drive everyday with the BAMA sct Race tune and love it. It'll feel like a whole new car.
GTgorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:49 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
cold air

I'm gonna be honest but when installing my cold air with tune I could feel a lil diffrence I have the jlt series 3 my buddy with an 08 gt cs said the tune is the one that changed his performance I'm starting to question my cold air maybe because my 2010 came with 15 more HP only due to the stock air intake ford managed to make 15 horses out of not so sure but if you can try to save for the cold air and tune
32GT32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT