o2 spacers on O/R X pipe - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
o2 spacers on O/R X pipe

I was told by a friend today that he passes emissions (OBD2) by just simply running some o2 spacers. Does anyone have spacers on their off road x pipe? If so, did you pass emissions? How exactly do the spacers work? What 2 sensors actually need the spacers?

Would these possibly allow me to pass emissions (no visual) with an O/R X pipe?

02 Sensor Raiser Non Fouler Mustang 05+

I've been searching this topic for quite some time. Any input would be great.

Thanks everyone.
2009 Mustang GT Premium; FRRP 4.10 Gears, J&M Lower Control Arms, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Pypes M80 Mid Mufflers, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Back, JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake, Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, Black Decklid Panel, Weathertech Mats, SVE Shifter and Shorty Antenna.
Langer1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Worked for my buddy in IL, pacesetter headers and off road H Pipe

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Or just get mil eliminators
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My friend passed his smog with his g37 with spacers until visual :/
Old 08-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Yup visual is what gets you!
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
wow

I don't know any shop that would fail you for those o2 spacers in PA..... I didn't even think these were considered "modifying a emissions component".... its walking a fine line no doubt, but I feel for you guys if this is the crap you have to deal with every year.
dr.gsxr1000nos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I think I'm going to make some spacers (just to pass emissions). I found a nice write up about it. Buy 2 spark plug non foulers and drill them out 1/2 inch. I was told to actually double stack them just to be sure. I hope it works.
2009 Mustang GT Premium; FRRP 4.10 Gears, J&M Lower Control Arms, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Pypes M80 Mid Mufflers, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Back, JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake, Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, Black Decklid Panel, Weathertech Mats, SVE Shifter and Shorty Antenna.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
Worked for my buddy in IL, pacesetter headers and off road H Pipe
Bashol....Quick question for you while we are on the topic...I bought the non foulers tonight so I can keep the o2 sensors out of the exhaust stream. How many o2 sensors sit in the 05-09 gt h pipe? 1 for each cat correct? So, in total, 2?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Actually you only need them for the lower sensors.
S281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by S281 View Post
Actually you only need them for the lower sensors.
which is what sensors exactly? The 2 in the rear?..... 1 passenger side and 1 driver side?
Old 08-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

One each side, they should have a blue connector on them.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by S281 View Post
One each side, they should have a blue connector on them.
Good information, I really appreciate it. I'm hoping these spacers/non foulers do the trick. Double stacking them should keep the o2 out of the exhaust stream.

So in conclusion if I'm not mistaking ---> 2 of the o2 sensors will need spacers. 1 on the driver's side and 1 on the passenger's side. The o2 sensors with the blue wires need to be "spaced". Each o2 sensor will be stacked with 2 non foulers drilled out a half inch.

Here goes nothin'
Old 08-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

And if you have a tune on the car you'll have to call your tuner & have them turned on.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Correct. I am probably going to keep the rear o2 sensors off till I have to actually physically go get my emissions test. I'll get BAMA to send me a tune with them on, with my off road x pipe installed, the double stacked spacers should do the trick! (also hoping no CEL lieght appears) If the spacers don't do the trick, I suppose installing the stock h pipe with cats is the only option.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I put my stock cats on about a week before. It takes some driving to get things back into a ready state for testing.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Ehhh. That is my last resort. I'm pulling up to the emissions booth with my off road x pipe. Rear o2 sensors turned on. Spacers screwed on nice and tight! Those rear o2 sensors will be reading nothing but clean air. I've found out that a lot of s197 guys have used this trick and have had success.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Good luck, let us know if they work for you.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:14 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langer1099 View Post
Good information, I really appreciate it. I'm hoping these spacers/non foulers do the trick. Double stacking them should keep the o2 out of the exhaust stream.

So in conclusion if I'm not mistaking ---> 2 of the o2 sensors will need spacers. 1 on the driver's side and 1 on the passenger's side. The o2 sensors with the blue wires need to be "spaced". Each o2 sensor will be stacked with 2 non foulers drilled out a half inch.

Here goes nothin'
you only drill out 1 of the 2 foulers the 1/2" hole is so the o2 sensor will screw into
the fouler then you screw the drilled out fouler with the sensor into the non drilled fouler (stack or 2 foulers screwed together) then you put that assy into the exhaust pipe the small hole fouler in first this limits the amount of exhaust gas's that can get to the o2 sensor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plug fouler 2.jpg
Views:	942
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	122653  

Pypes shorties, BBK catted X, Flowmaster Pro's, K&N CAI, FRPP- P springs, Steeda UCA, J&M Panhard bar, Hurst Comp plus, FR500 Wheels W/NITTO's , SCT SF3 W/BAMA 93 Race tune, Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, chin spoiler, Eleanor style grill, GT500 rear spoiler
stemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemar View Post
you only drill out 1 of the 2 foulers the 1/2" hole is so the o2 sensor will screw into
the fouler then you screw the drilled out fouler with the sensor into the non drilled fouler (stack or 2 foulers screwed together) then you put that assy into the exhaust pipe the small hole fouler in first this limits the amount of exhaust gas's that can get to the o2 sensor
Also good information! Did you have success with the foulers?
Old 08-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langer1099 View Post
Also good information! Did you have success with the foulers?
yes and on several different cars with NO cats

Pypes shorties, BBK catted X, Flowmaster Pro's, K&N CAI, FRPP- P springs, Steeda UCA, J&M Panhard bar, Hurst Comp plus, FR500 Wheels W/NITTO's , SCT SF3 W/BAMA 93 Race tune, Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, chin spoiler, Eleanor style grill, GT500 rear spoiler
Old 08-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Stemar for the picture. It was very helpful. I will be drilling 2 of the non fouler pieces tomorrow. Installing the x pipe the weekend after it arrives. I hope the non foulers end up being emissions friendly with no cats!
Old 02-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #22

Just Passed IL Emissions

I know this thread is fairly old and dead but I wanted to contribute to anyone that may be doing any research/digging for solutions or answers on the subject as I was doing.

Real quick, a little background on the situation - I have a 2002 GT 5-Speed Manual. I run a Pypes O/R X-Pipe that obviously gives me trouble around emissions time. When I first bolted on the x-pipe, I was throwing the standard p0420/p0430 codes. I ordered a pair of plug-&-play MILs and the problem was solved. After a 2-3 years though, they had burned out and quit on me and had to replace them, again solving the problem. This past month my car threw the p0420 code again (only the 1 side) but I decided I didn't want to buy another set of MILs. I know you can do it cheap with radio shack parts but I wanted to try something different, a solution that would possibly not "burn out" on me. I read about the spark plug non-fouler trick on a couple of different places and found some good write ups on the procedure. I bought the parts from an O'Reilly's, the Help! Non Foulers (part# 42009). I only bought one pack (a set of 2 per pack) as I was only throwing the Bank 1 code. I drilled one of the non foulers out to 1/2" making room for the shroud. To make the task easier since I was using a hand drill, I worked my way up to 1/2", starting with smaller bits. I had a masonry bit that could really do work.

I followed the rest of the instructions, screwing the O2 into the bored out non fouler and then screwing the untouched non fouler onto that and into the x-pipe. So I had the double-stacked non fouler setup. I disconnected the battery for about 30 mins to reset the monitors and then went for a drive and attempted to perfom the drive cycles to ready the monitors. I drove about 80 miles, no CEL, before I decided to stop in at an AutoZone and have them use a scanner to check the monitors. To my excitement the Catalyst Efficiency monitor (responsible for throwing the p0420) was 'Ready' along with most the others. Only the EVAP was "Not Ready". In Illinois though, you are allowed 1 Not Ready monitor, so I drove to the emissions control shop and passed, no problem. Southern IL only does the OBDII test, no visual, no tailpipe. I included my papers as validation and encouragement that the method has success.

Again - I don't reply or contribute to many forums, I stalk about most times, but I was excited this worked and just wanted to share. I hope this helps somebody. Good luck if you try this.
Bad Tuna Salad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:38 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I've read that if you use the non-foulers on the '05-'14 you won't get a CEL but it will still dump fuel. Can anyone who has done this confirm or deny? I want to run an o/r midpipe but I don't want to tune until my warranty is up; however, if it still dumps fuel I'll just wait it out.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

The rear o2s dont control the air fuel mixture, I believe they are there just for emissions

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
The rear o2s dont control the air fuel mixture, I believe they are there just for emissions
You are correct the rear o2s are only there to check to make sure the cats are working correctly and have nothing to do with fuel trims

Old 03-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
I've read that if you use the non-foulers on the '05-'14 you won't get a CEL but it will still dump fuel. Can anyone who has done this confirm or deny? I want to run an o/r midpipe but I don't want to tune until my warranty is up; however, if it still dumps fuel I'll just wait it out.
It will not change your air to fuel ratio but your foot will change your mpg... lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:17 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Whipple View Post
It will not change your air to fuel ratio but your foot will change your mpg... lol

As long as my foot is the one wasting gas I'm okay with it haha
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
As long as my foot is the one wasting gas I'm okay with it haha
Yeah I've dealt with all my cars having no cats and yes you may get 1 mpg less on the highway but you never notice it. With a tune theoretically you should get better. But when it has the stock tune on it you won't get better because it isn't tuned for that

3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Whipple View Post

Yeah I've dealt with all my cars having no cats and yes you may get 1 mpg less on the highway but you never notice it. With a tune theoretically you should get better. But when it has the stock tune on it you won't get better because it isn't tuned for that

I googled this and read this entire thread and I didn't even notice it was on MEvo or that Whipple was the one responding to it until I got to the end
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Not every state has visual but in privately owned states you can just buy your way to a passing inspection.

Spacers work, if the light comes on, it will go away. With a heavy foot it will still come on because the gases still reach the sensor but under grandpa driving the light will go away. So you can manipulate a passing light as necessary.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
This does work, I passed emissions and inspection yesterday with them and an O/R mid pipe. It will only work for states that just do the OBDII test for emissions. If your state does a visual or snifferr than you gotta change back to stock H pipe w/ cats

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT