New rotors help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
New rotors help

Hey all. For reference i have an 07 gt. So my local mechanic said I'll be needing new rear rotors and pads and I agree that I do. He estimated about 3-400 for the rear rotors and pads. My friend who has a small business said he'd try to get me rotors all around and pads (very high end performance. Already looked up the reviews) for 570+ shipping plus $100 install. That would be slotted rotors and then pads and new lines bought and installed for 720. He is a good friend and would not steer me wrong if he knew better. Question is, do I get the cheaper rear end only for probably the 400 or get all around top quality for 720? Thanks!
hubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Oh and I'm a college student so money is scarce. That's why there's a debate. Obviously the all around deal is better I'm just saying. How much will I benefit from high end rotors and how long will my original rotors last (I'm at 60k miles)
Old 08-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I got mine for $200. brand new slotted and cross drilled rotors and hi performance pads.
08mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
AM has front an rear brakes for like 350 rotor/pads
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
You can defiantly find better quality and better priced items than what AM has to offer. Just have to go shopping around.
Cranker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Is the $400 parts and labor or just parts? $720 seems reasonable for pads/rotors/lines with labor.
Pat12p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat12p View Post
Is the $400 parts and labor or just parts? $720 seems reasonable for pads/rotors/lines with labor.
Why even pay labor? Its such an easy job? I had it done in under an hour for all corners.
08mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08mustanggt View Post

Why even pay labor? Its such an easy job? I had it done in under an hour for all corners.
I agree!!! It is one of the easiest jobs to do and if you are questioning yourself there are countless videos on you tube that will give you a step by step!!! Plus if ya get stuck most people on here can probably walk you through it on a thread!!! If ya got questions pm me and I will help!!!!
Midnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I would go with cross drilled/slotted rotors with a zinc coating, mine were $155 shipped from eBay. I had used the guy for maybe 10 years now and they are good quality rotors..
For pads I have been using Wagner ceramic with lifetime warranty through Napa. They are quiet and seem to leave very little dust at all. I have been using these for awhile, even on other peoples rides, not I complaint. $90 for front and rear.
As for stainless braided hoses, I went with Russell dot ones from summit racing, they were $130 free shipping and I think I even found a $10 off coupon online somewhere..
That's $375 in parts, I did my own labor... if I was to charge labor, I would say $80hr labor, for front pads/rotors $80, rear pads/rotors $80, brake hoses and bleed $80, $240 total labor
Grand total $615
You have to remember that you could run into more problems like froze up caliper pins, possible needing a caliper, etc.. So you may have additional cost and possible labor once it is taken apart......

The rotors are $155.45 for all four on ebay . Sold by brake motive, that is his eBay name. From Chicago.

If you do it your self and have all the tools like a vacuum bleeder kit, I would say 3 hrs total. If you slow and learning along the way, bleeeding manually with a assistant pedal presser.... plan on this being a afternoon job for pads, rotors, and the lines especially if you do not have a lift. Bleeding and rebleeding will be your pain in the a$$.
Make sure you use a synthetic caliper grease on the caliper slide pins and clean them out very well first with brake clean...
Good luck
dr.gsxr1000nos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The only issue is with both slotted and drilled you increase the chances of it cracking (so I've heard) So I want to go just slotted. And I would do it myself but my schedule is crazy and I live in the city so I really don't have anywhere to do it (I live on a pretty busy road to have my car jacked up and working on it) but you all did help very much. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbs View Post
The only issue is with both slotted and drilled you increase the chances of it cracking (so I've heard) So I want to go just slotted. And I would do it myself but my schedule is crazy and I live in the city so I really don't have anywhere to do it (I live on a pretty busy road to have my car jacked up and working on it) but you all did help very much. Thank you!
I have herd of this too, I'm told to go with slotted and dimpled as the drilling may structurally compromise the rotor over time, that's what I'm going with when it's time.
MedicDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I got ya! You could always go white trash style and do it in the parking lot of Walmart!!! Believe it or not I have seen this!!!!!!!!!! Lmao
Midnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I have run these rotors on every vehicle I have owned. Never one crack, not one. I even have them on my jeep limited 5.9 and I beat it pretty bad, actually really bad. Rotors still look nice and silver. Not one crack..... Your choice, but that's my experience with them.
dr.gsxr1000nos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I've ran slotted and drilled for about 4 years now on 3 different mustangs and no problems here
Old 08-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

That's really good to know. Thanks I do appreciate the input. I personally don't like the drilled look but we will see which my wallet likes better haha
Old 08-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbs View Post
Had slotted and drilled rotors on my last car, the only way they will crack is if you put them under extreme stress.(Ex. If they are glowing red and you throw a cup of ice water on them.) You will be good unless you are taking it to the track everyday. The rear rotors are a solid piece and the fronts are vented. I got a full set of Rotora's w/Pads for $250 and did the install myself in about 3 1/2 hours. Well worth it!!

My Grandpa always says, "Why pay someone to do something simple that you can do yourself."

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

BTW.....eBay!

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite View Post
I got ya! You could always go white trash style and do it in the parking lot of Walmart!!! Believe it or not I have seen this!!!!!!!!!! Lmao
I had a brake pad break on me once. Changed it in the parking lot of Autozone. They even loaned me tools, a jack and some personal assistance to bleed the brakes. Lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT