Stock Automatic Driveline Concerns - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Post Stock Automatic Driveline Concerns

At what amount of horsepower does the stock automatic transmission, axles, or gears start to fail. I currently am running a Roush m90 kit with a brenspeed 427r upgrade kit, FRPP hot rods cams, and Pypes exhaust(long tubes, off road x, pype bomb mufflers) on my 06 GT. Haven't had it dyno'd yet but i expect its around 385-400 to the rear wheels.
DtrMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I know my automatic is starting to have issues in the trans with just Hotrod cams, LT headers with full exhaust and a tune. Not positive on what the issue is because it won't throw a code. Its just flashes o/d off and shifts weird and goes back to normal when you start up next.
Wolverine0587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I have that issue as well, o/d flashes, I think it is a tune issue.
DtrMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtrMustang View Post
At what amount of horsepower does the stock automatic transmission, axles, or gears start to fail. I currently am running a Roush m90 kit with a brenspeed 427r upgrade kit, FRPP hot rods cams, and Pypes exhaust(long tubes, off road x, pype bomb mufflers) on my 06 GT. Haven't had it dyno'd yet but i expect its around 385-400 to the rear wheels.
I almost the same setup but installed 4.10s next mod is frpp cams hopping it will sound nasty when installed but no issues with tranny I read somewhere that they're suppose withheld up to 380 torque at the wheels not sure on HP
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Destination S19
I don't know how much power they're rated for but the 3rd gear band is a known weak spot in the 5R55S. I don't think they're mean't to be spun over 6k RPMs either, the factory torque converter isn't good for that kind of use.

FRPP HotRods Cams / American Racing Headers Long Tubes with catted X / Stang-Hi dyno tune
Saleen wheels / Steeda CAI / Corsa Xtremes, K Springs, Koni STR.Ts, UMI lca relo. Brackets/r lwr ctrl arms UMI adj. panhard bar / Camber plates / SR Strut Tower Brace.
Destination S19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination S19 View Post
I don't know how much power they're rated for but the 3rd gear band is a known weak spot in the 5R55S. I don't think they're mean't to be spun over 6k RPMs either, the factory torque converter isn't good for that kind of use.
I'll have to see if that's when my issue happens. Im thinking its the lower RPM range though.
Wolverine0587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtrMustang View Post
I think the max is 485 at the Crank. That's what my mechanic says anyway.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Heat kills automatics. Install an good transmission cooler with its own fan and the transmission temperatures should stay colder and improve the life of your trans.
Pat12p is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT